Start at the source: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Live-Evil

Pick up some MO (Mahavishnu Orchestra) too - Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire.

that should get you started. Try to stay away from over-chorused smoothish 80s fusion ("fuzak"). As much as Holdsworth's playing is mind-boggling, his sound is repugnant.
You should check out some Weather Report. I only have one album by them (and it's only a Wayne Shorter compilation CD, which is a good album), but they are a really influential fusion band. Besides having Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter as the core members of the band, they pretty much got a bunch of different players on each album, so it's pretty varied. But good and worth checking out.
the zawinul syndicate are pretty good- but abit weird
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
I've been digging some fusion later, Charlie Hunter Trio/Quartet and Garage a Trois have been on my playlists lately.
Anything by Greg Howe, mainly Extraction which is the best fusion CD ever recorded. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Vital Tech Tones, Tribal Tech, and Medeski, Martin and Wood are all great fusion bands as well.
Quote by Nick_
As much as Holdsworth's playing is mind-boggling, his sound is repugnant.

he's the only guitar player who I've heard that has come close enough to emulating John Coltrane's phrasing - the whole "sheets of sound" perspective. Reconsider your statement thus.

PS: if you think his "sound" is repugnant on albums like Soft Machine's "Bundles", Gong's "Gazeuse" and the solo albums, "Metal Fatigue", "Road Games" and "I.O.U" - I think you're missing something.
Mike Stern - Who Let The Cats Out

Only fusion CD I have and its pretty good. He is fusion right? lol
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Nick_
Start at the source: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Live-Evil

Pick up some MO (Mahavishnu Orchestra) too - Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire.

that should get you started. Try to stay away from over-chorused smoothish 80s fusion ("fuzak"). As much as Holdsworth's playing is mind-boggling, his sound is repugnant.

i can't understand the MO. their music just doesn't sound good..at all..
Quote by Spamwise
i can't understand the MO. their music just doesn't sound good..at all..

the first time I heard the Mahavishnu Orchestra was when I was back in high school, and I reacted to them the same way when I first heard Steve Vai - there was simply too much going on, it was too eclectic, and too out there - but I think once a person's musical acumen and taste develops and matures, you appreciate acts like these a lot more. in any event, the MO was way ahead of their time - if you listen to core Indian classical music, or Carnatic music, the MO will make a lot more sense. McLaughlin was already onto splicing notes and playing around with time signatures all over the place, and yet somehow making it sound very organic.

to sum it up, pop a couple of geltabs and put on Visions of the Emerald Beyond.
I dunno, in general I think MO is a pretty good transition from rock into fusion, if you're approaching it that way. But that's just me.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Axegrinder#9
the first time I heard the Mahavishnu Orchestra was when I was back in high school, and I reacted to them the same way when I first heard Steve Vai - there was simply too much going on, it was too eclectic, and too out there - but I think once a person's musical acumen and taste develops and matures, you appreciate acts like these a lot more. in any event, the MO was way ahead of their time - if you listen to core Indian classical music, or Carnatic music, the MO will make a lot more sense. McLaughlin was already onto splicing notes and playing around with time signatures all over the place, and yet somehow making it sound very organic.

to sum it up, pop a couple of geltabs and put on Visions of the Emerald Beyond.

haha fair enough. maybe as I get older I'll grow to like them, then.
No one mentioned Jeff Beck yet. Blow By Blow and Wired are essential fusion albums.

Also check out Renaissance, one of the first great fusion groups of the 70's. They mix classical, folk, jazz, and rock to create some trippy, yet very musical, compositions.
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes (Blew me away the first time I heard it.)

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia - Live In San Francisco (If you like more of the Flamenco-styled Fusion).
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"