I was wondering if the slightly different body shape makes a noticeable difference to the tone of Gibson LP Double Cutaways. (compared to regular shaped Les Pauls with same pickups)

Or is it simply for people who prefer the look of Cutaways? (I strangely like the cheap looking Worn Yellow finish.)
I would think it's for people who want more upper-fret access...

The faded DC doesn't really sound like a LP IMO. It's more SG-ish.

The Standard DC is more LP-esque.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i dont think so...it would probably have better acces to the higher frets...but the double cutaway LPs are not the best looking in my opinion
I think the tone wouldn't change much, but i bet it would be lighter in weight than the basic LP shape
the cutaway will not noticeably affect the tone if all the other factors are the same.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Quote by FacingUsAll
I would think it's for people who want more upper-fret access...

The faded DC doesn't really sound like a LP IMO. It's more SG-ish.

The Standard DC is more LP-esque.

+1, the faded DC has a thin flat body and you do notice the difference. (in weight and tone)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
The DC's have a chambered body. This gives them a more "woody" tone than regular LP's. LP's are now weight-relieved, but the chambering in DC's is much more radical.
the DC's play so amazing to me... I would buy one over a regular LP anyday.....
Well I am trying them out and intend to buy either a DC or a Carvin California Carved Top. Next month I will buy one or the other unless I find something better.
I was wondering if the slightly different body shape makes a noticeable difference to the tone of Gibson LP Double Cutaways. (compared to regular shaped Les Pauls with same pickups)
Well, the one on that link you posted doesn't have a maple cap so it'll sound pretty similar to an SG or Jr, but a standard DC is tonally very close to the singlecut LP - you'd only notice a difference if you were listening for it!
I read an interview recently of the guy from Russian Circles. He uses DCs and reckons they have more bottom end.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
hmm that one i wouldnt assume wouldnt sound like an LP, first off it has p-90s, not gonna sound like a humbucker, no arch top, no maple, and its chambered, id say itd sound like an LP junior if anything, ive played the DC standards and i love those, its like a chunkier SG, nice sustain and amazing upper fret access, im thinking about getting one soon
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
An artist I listen to uses the Faded DC. So that's the sound I'm interested in.

I don't think it's entirely inferior to the DC Pro. Just different.
Faded DC plays nicer than any other Gibson in the price range. The P-90's have great tone quality for anything pretty much up to death and other extreme metals. MY friend has one, and it is actually one of my favorites guitars ever. I must buy one soon.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by CarbonDeath
Faded DC plays nicer than any other Gibson in the price range. The P-90's have great tone quality for anything pretty much up to death and other extreme metals. MY friend has one, and it is actually one of my favorites guitars ever. I must buy one soon.

So the Faded DC uses single coil pickups. How do you think it compares to Fenders with single coil pickups?
Quote by Ki'
So the Faded DC uses single coil pickups. How do you think it compares to Fenders with single coil pickups?

It has P-90s which are single coils, but IMO they lean a bit more toward a humbucking sound than a typical Fender single coil. They are like humbuckers with the bite and clarity of single coils. Also keep in mind that they are pretty hot for single coils. As a comparison my faded DC will drive my amp to breakup starting at about 5 on the master volume and my Mustang won't get any breakup from the amp until the master is turned up to around 9.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
It has P-90s which are single coils, but IMO they lean a bit more toward a humbucking sound than a typical Fender single coil. They are like humbuckers with the bite and clarity of single coils. Also keep in mind that they are pretty hot for single coils. As a comparison my faded DC will drive my amp to breakup starting at about 5 on the master volume and my Mustang won't get any breakup from the amp until the master is turned up to around 9.

Sounds perfect. XD Thanks very much.
Quote by yeahyeah
+1, the faded DC has a thin flat body and you do notice the difference. (in weight and tone)

Les Pauls have maple tops on the mahogany body. The LP Faded DC is just a chunk of mahogany with no maple top. It should sound different. That maple is there for weight and supposedly sustain. The DC Pro has a carved maple cap on the mahogany body and should sound more like a regular LP. I've never tried one though and I just noticed they only have one volume and one tone cap.