Page 1 of 2
Hey guys! Alright, so I've been addicted to the album Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround - Part One lately, and I've really been noticing a lot of connections to modern indie/alternative tunes. First off, if you've never heard the album, definitely buy it! Or, use your download program of choice (please purchase the songs and support your bands! ) and download "Strangers", "The Contenders", "This Time Tomorrow", and "Apeman". This should give a good overview of the album.

Okay, so getting to the good stuff... I've been noticing the song craft has a nice indie sound, almost like a Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. EXAMPLE: The album jumps from mellow rocker "Lola" to upbeat rock 'n roll "The Contenders", and back to the ballad "This Time Tomorrow." Along with this, the album really works in a lot of acoustic guitar work layered in with electric. It adds a nice diverse song that you see with many alternative and indie rockers today.

Anyway, I bought the album a while ago and got it out recently and I'm just now starting to notice the similarities (as I'm usually addicted to Pavement, Yo La Tengo, and the like, haha). So check it out! I think a lot of folks that like indie stuff could really connect with the sound that The Kinks produced on this record. Anyone else have some thoughts, rantings, etc?
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
I'm a lover of the Kinks in general and I'm sure a lot of indie bands are also big fans, so not really a huge surprise you've seen the connection there to be honest.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Oh very true... I just wanted to put it out there for any modern indie/alt fans if they were looking for something new (old!) to spice up their headphones.
Current Rig:

I love this album.

Dave Davies really shines in 'Strangers', probably his best song he wrote. But the best song has to be 'This Time Tomorrow'. It just demonstrates how great Ray and Dave's voices sound together.

Lyrically it's a pretty pissed off album.
The Kinks are incredible. Apeman rocks, but I like King Kong much more
Join The Skyland group. PM kurt_hendrix to join.
Quote by Robert Cray
The Kinks are incredible. Apeman rocks, but I like King Kong much more

Yeah that song is great. It sounds just like a T-Rex song.

I love the Kinks. The Village Green Preseravtion Society is one of my favourite albums ever and probably one of the most influential towards British guitar rock/pop of the last 39 years.
My Kinks collection is spread out pretty well, and I'm missing quite a bit. I've got 'The Kinks Are The Village Green Preseravtion Society', 'Something Else by The Kinks' & 'Low Budget'.

I'm going to be buying either 'Muswell Hillbillies' or 'Misfits'. Which between those two should I go with first?
^I'd get Muswell Hillbillies... however, I'd get 'Face To Face' and 'Arthur (Or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire)' before both of those.
Yeah get all those three. They are just amazing and highly underrated albums of the 60's. I would get Face to Face first though, that album is just pure quality. Muswell Hillbillies is very rootsy and American sounding and Arthur is a great concept album similar to VGPS but a little more rock.

I've gone through their Pye era stuff. Now I need to get into the 70's RCA era Kinks but I don't know where to start as the reviews are pretty hit/miss. I like what I have heard from Schoolboys in Disgrace so I'll probably get that next.
I would get 'Face to Face' and 'Athur' first (in fact, those are next in line for my next Amazon order), but I have a few free cd's from a record club, and all they have from the Kinks is:

'Muswell Hillbillies'
'Everyones in Showbiz'
'Misfits'
'Low Budget'
'Give The People What They Want'
'State of Confusion'.

I have 'Low Budget'. 'Showbiz' is in an odd format that I usually don't care for (SACD Hybrid) and the last two I dont find that appealing from reviews/clips, I may be wrong though? So between 'Misfits' and 'Hillbillies' it is..and I think I'm going with 'Misfits' actually, unless you can change my mind. I want them both, but 'Misfits' took my interest first.
Man but Muswell Hillbillies is so great. I love the concept of of the album, but the few songs I have heard from Misfits still sound good.
Okay, so I ordered 'Misfits' last night. However I was at Borders today, and they have 'Muswell Hillbillies' and 'Lola Versus Powerman and the Money Go-Round Part One'. Now between those two, which would should I go with? I only have enough monies for one right now.
Aww, I would take "Muswell Hillbillies" and "Lola vs. the Powerman ..." over Misfits anyday! It's hard to pick between those two albums, they're both great. If forced to choose... I'd probably get Lola though.
Alright, so basically all the questions I've asked in the past day or two have turned out to be rather pointless.

Ordered 'Misfits' from the record club for free, bought 'Lola' and 'Muswell Hillbillies' from Borders & this morning I put in an order at Amazon and picked up 'Face to Face' & 'Arthur'.
^ Well done. I'm listening to Arthur at the moment. Seriously I can never tire of this album. The bonus tracks are wicked as well.

Feedback on Misfits , I haven't heard that album and I need to get more later Kinks.

Does anyone think the Kinks need their own thread? considering the amount of albums they released and the influence they have had they deserve it. There's so much to talk about

The Velvet Underground have one. The Beatles. The Stones. Arcade Fire. Springsteen they all have one and The Kinks have released more albums then all of those bands.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Nov 4, 2007,
Haha, I forgot to check back with this thread! I think it should definitely have its own just because of the influence they've had on current alternative/indie music. For instance, we were driving around yesterday, listening to Pavement. Halfway through I made a quick switch to "Lola, powerman, and the money thing" and it was almost seamless. I think they're also a bit underrated when it comes to 60's Brit-rock bands, kind of overshadowed by The Beatles and the Rolling Stones.
Current Rig:

Once 'Misfits' comes in (should be at my door this week), I'll write a review on it for you. I think it shall be quite a good record.

And I was just talking to my dad about that..The Kinks definitely get overshadowed by The Beatles and a bunch of those other invasion bands. You hardly see them get as much credit as they deserve. They really are amazing.
^I have heard the song Misfits and I love it. So I will get it one day. I think I will get Schoolboys in disgrace next though. Especially for this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkUtA1FL2Og The chorus is amazing!

Personally I think The Kinks are better than the Beatles as far as the ratio of good/bad songs go. Sure the Beatles have some amazing songs but they have so much ****e as well and they are just plain over -rated and full of themselves. The Kinks were far more consistent song writers and a lot less pretentious. Every band were trying to be the Beatles, but the Kinks took their own direction.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Nov 5, 2007,
Oh shit..that song was great! Now I really wanna get 'Schoolboys'.
How are you getting it? Are you getting it in that SACD Hybrid version? I hate that kind of format, so do you know of any other reissued copies of it?

I think I'd still take The Beatles over The Kinks, but that might change. I like what you said though, about The Kinks not trying to be like them..good quote and its true too.
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Nov 5, 2007,
Those SACD's never work on my computer. I know its not that big of a problem, but most of the time I listen to music when I'm on the computer, so it'd be nice..you know?

..Another fine song too. Gotta get that record somehow.
my friend burned me "the kinks are the village green preservation society"

it is really great.
'Misfits' and 'Face to Face' came in today, now I'm just waiting for 'Arthur'.

The actual song 'Misfits' is so good.
Gah, I love it.
wait wait, did I just see that someone else has a problem with SACDs playing on their computer? I thought it was just me... I pretty much hate that format, but more and more of my favorite albums are being reissued in SACD
Current Rig:

Quote by hippyskier
wait wait, did I just see that someone else has a problem with SACDs playing on their computer? I thought it was just me... I pretty much hate that format, but more and more of my favorite albums are being reissued in SACD

Yup, I feel the exact same way. Awhile back I put in a big order and I basically went super crazy trying to fill up my Dylan collection, so I ordered a whole bunch. Turns out they all were SACD..which really sucked. Now I can only listen to them whilst in my basement either A - doing nothing or B - doing drugs. Neither of which is fun.

Whose heard The Black Keys cover 'Act Nice and Gentle'? It's so bomb.
I counted 12 Kinks albums in my collection the other day and realised that there are still about the same amount that I'd love to own. Their back catalogue is amazing, and much too big.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I caught something interesting in the car the other day. I had "Lola Vs. The moneygoround and all that other crap" on and the Introduction was playing, and I was like... Oh this is sweet... and then I got to the final song, and I was like WAIT A MINUTE!!! Of course, same riff but a little bit more uptempo. I really love that country sort of sound and the overall theme to that album though... Great stuff.
Current Rig:

'Lola' is a fine album...

..I love 'Top of the Pops'.

..By the way, newfound love for 'House In the Country'.
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Nov 10, 2007,
God, can we please not draw a lot of attention to The Kinks and ruin them? I've already had Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel and Buil to Spill stolen from me and *****d out by Jesse Lacey, so can we at least agree to leave The Kinks alone?
Poor advice.
Yeah, what the hell? Also, don't bring in this "oh I was listening to that band before it was popular!" thing.

Unless of course, your post was tongue in cheek, in which case I respond, "haha, well played."
Current Rig:

Quote by stellar_legs
God, can we please not draw a lot of attention to The Kinks and ruin them? I've already had Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel and Buil to Spill stolen from me and *****d out by Jesse Lacey, so can we at least agree to leave The Kinks alone?

Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK The Kinks have been a very important and well known band since the 60s.

RateYourMusic
I thin over here, like its been said, they always get far overlooked by The Stones and Beatles and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, they do get some recognition and praise, but I wouldn't call it enough.
Quote by hippyskier
Yeah, what the hell? Also, don't bring in this "oh I was listening to that band before it was popular!" thing.

Unless of course, your post was tongue in cheek, in which case I respond, "haha, well played."

Half tongue and cheek, half....yeah.

Of course they are a very important band. But every couple of years in a cycle Indie kids will go back in time and pick something from past decades and hold it up on a pedestal. Everyone did it with Bowie when The Life Aquatic came out. And I imagine since a lot of bands cover Kinks songs these days and Wes Anderson used three Kinks songs in his new film, that we're going to have a new scene band.

And I'm not doing a "I was listenting to them way back when" thing. I mean, haven't we all listened to the Kinks at some point? It's just....these things happen sometime.
Poor advice.
Last cover of The Kinks I heard was Robbie Williams doing 'Lola' on a Radio One CD, definitely not a hit version.

I understand what you're saying with the scene band thing, but Ray and Dave are still out releasing albums, so whatever way there's going to be a bit more attention on them.

Is the film you're talking about the 'Darjeeling Limited'?
Yet to see that but heard nothing but praise.

RateYourMusic
Quote by stellar_legs
Half tongue and cheek, half....yeah.

Of course they are a very important band. But every couple of years in a cycle Indie kids will go back in time and pick something from past decades and hold it up on a pedestal. Everyone did it with Bowie when The Life Aquatic came out. And I imagine since a lot of bands cover Kinks songs these days and Wes Anderson used three Kinks songs in his new film, that we're going to have a new scene band.

And I'm not doing a "I was listenting to them way back when" thing. I mean, haven't we all listened to the Kinks at some point? It's just....these things happen sometime.

Ahh okay okay, now I understand what you're saying.
Current Rig:

Page 1 of 2