Alright, so I'm getting a new amp soon (Probably either a Carvin V3 or Peavey JSX) and would like to know how I'd go about adding LEDs to the inside of the chassis to make it glow like Engls/Framus/Genz-Benz/etc.

What type of connectors do I have to have? Where should I connect it to? Would it have any effect on the sound of the amp or how it works? What else do I need to know?

Also, if I decide to get the JSX, I really don't like the front grille on it with the big S, and I was wondering how hard it would be to take it off and put the JSX insignia in the middle of a peice of plexi glass and then mount the glass as the grille instead of the one that comes with it? Also, would this cause any problems with the amp such as ventilation or anything?

Thanks guys!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I suppose you could hook up a bunch of them to the 12V or 6.3V tap on the power transformer in series with a current-limiting resistor. As for replacing the grill with glass, dunno about that.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
If you replaced the grill with glass, it wouldn't work. The sound waves would bounce back off the glass.

You misread. He means the grille on the head. TS, you should be fine in doing so in terms of mounting/shape. Just cut a piece of plexi glass to shape and approx thickness, and add the screw holes. The only thing I'm not sure of its ventilation.
Quote by CJRocker
You misread. He means the grille on the head. TS, you should be fine in doing so in terms of mounting/shape. Just cut a piece of plexi glass to shape and approx thickness, and add the screw holes. The only thing I'm not sure of its ventilation.

Yeah, do you think if I added a fan or something it would be ok? Or maybe cut a few small lines in the plexi glass so it at least has some ventilation in the front?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
As long as it has rear ventilation it should be fine, I mean look at Hughes and Kettners....

You'd be able to hook a bunch of LEDs up to the 6.3v transformer tap, and a limiter resistor to limit current to them. I recommend Ultrabright Blue and a 5k resistor.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
or add a 4.7k resistor and a 50KB pot in series to adjust the brightness?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
That'd work very well, actually, good idea. Trimpots are smaller and won't be seen/touched when the amp's all together, so I'd go for one of those.
u can put a knob in front next to ur master volume saying: "brightness" get it???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha nice. Would be worth wondering whether it's worth the absolute death of resale value though
Quote by MrCarrot
haha nice. Would be worth wondering whether it's worth the absolute death of resale value though

Probably not, but it'd be pretty cool!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
How would someone go about finding the 12V or 6.3V tap on the power transformer. And did you ever get this working? Im trying to add some LEDs to my jcm 800 that I would a plexi glass front on.