Yes.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
alternate pick everything? when do you not alternate pick? besides chords?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by sexlove45
for that song i switch off from just downstroking to going both up and down. sometimes

that's alternate picking genius.

and dude you should alternate pick everything you play!
i only know the intro but i straight down pick that usually, but i use that intro for up and down picking to help with my string skipping sometimes also
actually downpicking is very useful when you want a very fierce sounding "attack" on the strings. for example the intro to master of puppets sounds sooo much better when only downpicked.

but personally i alternate pick sweet child
also, should I play just down up down up, or do any of you play down, down, up. etc
Quote by kidsthesedays
economy picking>alternate picking imo. but each to his own.

Economy picking is just an excuse for people who can't alternate pick well.

dumdumdum....
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Economy picking is just an excuse for people who can't alternate pick well.

No, it's for people who want to maximize their picking potential by minimizing their movement. I use economy picking when it is usefull, but can also alternate pick at a speed of 14.5 notes per second maximum. People who use just one kind of picking style limit them selves, which is why I try to use all kinds of pickuing approaches.

As far as Sweet Child o Mine goes, I use a downstrole on the first note of each repetition, then use mostly upstrokes. I can pick it anyway I want to, but I do it that way so the first note gets extra emphasis over the other notes.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by lilchimp818
actually downpicking is very useful when you want a very fierce sounding "attack" on the strings. for example the intro to master of puppets sounds sooo much better when only downpicked.

but personally i alternate pick sweet child

I tend to disagree i think playing master of pupetts played with alternative picking makes it sound better and you can still make it sound fairly agresive.
but yer man play everything you can alternative picking it relly is better
For all of you dissing alt picking its much better for timing than economy is.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
For all of you dissing alt picking its much better for timing than economy is.

not really..I guess it is if you have bad timing skills yourself because you can think of it like a metronome beat(up, down, up down). But if your timing skills are good to begin with alternate picking just becomes a hassle because its wasting energy without getting that energy you get from down picking

Each picking styles has its advantage but IMO
Economy>DownPicking>Alternate

Anyway I start of the intro with an up pick and alternate pick.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
not really..I guess it is if you have bad timing skills yourself because you can think of it like a metronome beat(up, down, up down). But if your timing skills are good to begin with alternate picking just becomes a hassle because its wasting energy without getting that energy you get from down picking

Each picking styles has its advantage but IMO
Economy>DownPicking>Alternate

Anyway I start of the intro with an up pick and alternate pick.

ya its easy to play in time with any type of picking when its slow. But when it comes to quick runs in excess of 200bpm. alt picking is a must or the timing will be shaky thats just the way things are
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I find economy picking much easier for speed and general ease, but I use both that and alternate. For SCOM I economy pick the intro. But then alternate solo.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
This has got to be by far the stupidest debate that comes up on a regular basis.
Economy picking and alternate picking have BOTH been used VERY sucessfully in a technical environment. While it would seem that economy picking is more efficient IN THEORY, there are many players have proved that that is not the case. It ultimately comes down to personal preference as picking either way will likely have no substantial difference on your playing ability.
I don't understand why guides exist converting people from one to the other when really, it is a matter of personal preference. Economy picking's supposed advantage exists only in theory; when it comes to the actual guitar there are many accomplished proponents of both (considering how few true alternate pickers exist, I'd say that's quite impressive).
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Me2NiK, THANK YOU FOR THAT POST. I completely agree with you. All of them have inherent advandages and disadvantages. Oh, and for everyone here, sweep picking is technically economy picking. Does anyone have anything against sweep picking???? But back to advantages and disadvantages. Alternate picking Generally can help timing, but not always. Economy picking allows less work and movement. Down picking adds more consistancy to the sound of chords as each is downpicked instead of having uppicked chords inbetween (A trained ear can hear this, but many people won't notice). For me, I down pick chord and most rythm work, and change between alternate and economy picking for other stuff depending on what it is that I'm trying do/the fingering/movement of the stings, positions, etc. Oh, and I sweep pick sweep picking parts. Even with these advantages and disadvantages, NONE is better than any of the others.