Hello everybody i was able to get a hold of a copy of Amplitube 2 the Amp and Effects modelling software and i have a question. I used it at my friends house and it sounds great but i was wondering if i could use a outside program to record while using that for the sound. I just got an adapter so i can plug my guitar into my computer so i was just wondering.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
yes. all you have to do is plug the output of the computer with amplitube into a line in jack wherever you're recording
I now have two more questions. I have the software installed and i have my guitar plugged in and everything. Now all the sounds are more distorted than they should be. Is it my sound card? Can i do anything about it, i tried fooling around with everything in the program and different adapters. I have my guitar plugged straight into the computer. Now my second question is how do i record because the other person that answered i think he though i had my guitar plugged through something else. I have it straight into my computer and im trying to use Audacity but it isnt working. Please help.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Try switching from line in to mic; line in is like this;
->(((

I know on my elec-acoustic I just go straight from the guitar to the pc but it doesnt work with the elec, so I generally put it through the amp really quiet. You can always adjust the volume after recording
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
I think it is in through the Mic slot. but i have speakers that there are more than one and then a subwoofer, and i think i had to unplug one of the wires that goes into the speakers, but it still works. I dont know if thats it...so you think i should go through my amp also?

EDIT:and when you said line in to mic. Did you mean on audacity? Because i cant change anything on audacity
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Last edited by myguitarskucks1 at Oct 23, 2007,
In the speaker in windows, the one to control the volumes, check if the line is in "boost mic" in the advanced settings. If it is, try turning it off. If it's not, or doesn't work turning the mic boost off, try lowering the volume of the line in.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
In the speaker in windows, the one to control the volumes, check if the line is in "boost mic" in the advanced settings. If it is, try turning it off. If it's not, or doesn't work turning the mic boost off, try lowering the volume of the line in.

You know i tried looking for my volume control but its not there. It dissapeared...is there anyway i can get it back?

EDIT: Nevermind i found the mic boost let me see if that works.

EDIT 2: Alright the boost helped but i think its still a little distorted but i think i will live. Now about the recording i still cant get that.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Last edited by myguitarskucks1 at Oct 23, 2007,
I use the line in, the mic in is too noisy. Also a good sound card help a lot.
To record, just make sure that you have the "line in" or "mic in" (whatever you're using) option selected on the "recordings devices menu".
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
I use the line in, the mic in is too noisy. Also a good sound card help a lot.
To record, just make sure that you have the "line in" or "mic in" (whatever you're using) option selected on the "recordings devices menu".

It wont let me change it. Everything is grey and i cant do anything, when i hit record it says error reading device or something like that.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Sorry to double post but does anyone know how to fix my recording problem?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Could you put a snapshot of the recording devices menu and the error message?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS

That is the error and you can see all the options on the top are grey.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
But what about the windows recording device menu? The one you get when doing right click on the speaker icon at the right of the taskbar and selecting "recording devices".

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
well im confused because my volume thingy isnt on the bottom anymore, how do i get to this recording device?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Start -> Control Panel -> Sound. Then there's a option where you must check so that icon appears on the taskbar.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Im sorry for making you go through all this trouble but i have already went in there and unchecked and checked it and its still not showing up...
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
No problem, besides, i don't anything else to do right now.
Go to again to the control panel->sound and there's must be a recording tab i think where you can check for advanced properties.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
OK, i'd say that the reason for distortion is beaucse you have the bitrate and that other option turned down too much in amplitube. but if you turn them up, you get lag. i had this same problem.
i could be wrong, and i havnt even read all of this thread. but i had that problem
Quote by El Cumanés
No problem, besides, i don't anything else to do right now.
Go to again to the control panel->sound and there's must be a recording tab i think where you can check for advanced properties.

I might have gotten to where you want me to be, exactly what do you want me to do?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
If you are on the recording devices, just make sure you checked the "mic in" or "line in".
Another thing is that you must have a ASIO soundcard compatible driver, if you're not sure, download and install this generic driver here: www.asio4all.com

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
If you are on the recording devices, just make sure you checked the "mic in" or "line in".
Another thing is that you must have a ASIO soundcard compatible driver, if you're not sure, download and install this generic driver here: www.asio4all.com

Well i downloaded Asio4all or something like that with amplitube...do i still need that driver?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
hmmmm....not sure really, but i have that driver installed before amplitube 2 and worked fine for me.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Alright, so you can record while having your guitar plugged into the mic slot?
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Oh i and i checked and i already downloaded that with Amplitube...
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
You can't really just run a guitar into a cheap/basic soundcard and expect good results. Guitars output at extremely low volumes and the recording ports on basic soundcards are fairly noisey and not really designed to handle this kind of input. You need to run the guitar through a DI box or pre-amp in order to get a cleaner signal into your PC. Otherwise, even a bit of a noisey line turns into a gigantic mess once you start running it through virtual amps.

Also even if you get a clean signal going into your soundcard you'll still need a soundcard with ASIO allowing latency free recording/monitoring, otherwise what you're hearing will always be ~10-20ms behind what you're playing. ASIO4All drivers don't completely fix this problem.

I know you're probably looking for the free route, but Line6 makes an awesome product called the TonePort GX. About $70 and you plug you're guitar into it, it does all the signal cleaning needed and then passes the audio into your PC, latency free, over a USB connection, and also returns the output to a headphone jack. Works perfectly with Amplitube. The slightly higher model, the UX1 also has Line outputs which you could then run to your recording device.

Also Amplitube is a VST plugin, so unless I'm mistaken the cleanest way to get a recording through Amplitube is to use a VST capable DAW and it will record what you're playing without any additional routing.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Last edited by krims0n at Oct 23, 2007,
Yes, but the "line in" is less noisy.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Quote by krims0n
You can't really just run a guitar into a cheap/basic soundcard and expect good results. Guitars output at extremely low volumes and the recording ports on soundcards are fairly noisey and not really designed to handle this kind of input. You need to run the guitar through a DI box or pre-amp in order to get a cleaner signal into your PC. Otherwise, even a bit of noisey line turns into a gigantic mess once you start running it through virtual amps.

Also even if you get a clean signal going into your soundcard you'll still need a soundcard with ASIO allowing latency free recording/monitoring, otherwise what you're hearing will always be ~10-20ms behind what you're playing.

I know you're probably looking for the free route, but Line6 makes an awesome product called the TonePort GX. About $70 and you plug you're guitar into it, it does all the signal cleaning needed and then passes the audio into your PC, latency free, over a USB connection, and also returns the output to a headphone jack. Works perfectly with Amplitube. The slightly higher model, the UX1 also has Line outputs which you could then run to your recording device.

Also Amplitube is a VST plugin, so unless I'm mistaken the cleanest way to get a recording through Amplitube is to use a VST capable DAW and it will record what you're playing without any additional routing.

Wow thanks, now that last part, about a VST capable DAW what is that exactly? If its something i can download can you give me an example? Because i would like to record some stuff.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation. Basically it's your center piece for mixing / recording / music production.

A VST is a plugin that generates sound to be recorded. There are TONS of synthesizers, drum machines, effects processors and whatnot in this form.

Some examples of DAW's:
- Ableton Live
- Cubase
- Pro Tools
- Logic

I'll let you read up on what interests you and it appears you already know how to find them.

I think VST plugins work with Audacity too, but I was never able to get Amplitube running through it.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Wow thanks your a lot of help. And thanks to everybody in this thread, if need more answers i hope you guys wont find it rude if i PM you.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
No worries, feel free to PM. I just got finished getting this working properly last week so everything is fresh on my mind.

Oh, also a solid PC will help here. If you have a fairly fast PC make sure to crank down your buffer size as small as possible. Also the TonePort GX allows 96khz / 24bit recording which rocks if your computer can swallow it.
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by myguitarskucks1
You know i tried looking for my volume control but its not there. It dissapeared...is there anyway i can get it back?

EDIT: Nevermind i found the mic boost let me see if that works.

EDIT 2: Alright the boost helped but i think its still a little distorted but i think i will live. Now about the recording i still cant get that.

Lower the volume of the mic (in the window with the mic boost option). It will help more.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

If you can't figure it out with Audacity, maybe try with Kristal Audio which is like Audacity but in my opinion with a much better interface and is also free.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS