I decided to start practicing my tapping but I find it hard to actually get a good sound from it. What kind of tone should I be aiming for as well? I am also planning on changing strings soon so what strings do you think have a good tone when tapping?
make sure your tapping technique is good and tap near the fret. also make sure you have no loose sleeves resting on the strings, i find i get this a lot when tapping lol.

there are way better tappers than me out here so ill let them try and help you more!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I used to have the same problem. Although I guess I never really solved it, I did buy another bass and found that my tapping on my new bass (AM Jazz Bass) was so much more clear than on my old one it was night and day. I think the reason behidn this was that the action on my old bass was waaaay too high. So basically, lower the action on your bass a bit, and it also helps alot to give your tone a treble boost.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
M=mute
T= where you tap
P= pick up

________M________T________P

make sure you mute it on the other side of your hand from the pick up or you will get the note from the longer side of the string, even if its the other side

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Thanks for the responses are there any suggestions on strings with good tones for tapping?
i'm not sure baout strings, but if you're thinking about seriously doing some tapping stuff,
i'd buy a compreshion pedal (or play with your compreshion knob on your amp... if you have one, i know alot of the hartke combo's have 'em.... just... yeah)

compreshion pedals help make notes all about the same volume. also, you may want to get used to tapping harder

and ditto to boosting mids
if you have 3 band EQ but bass flat and crank the mid and the trebble also a bridge piclup helps
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
bridge pick up? i always thought balencing it in the middle was best...
if you could explain.. why bridge?
bridge has a more mid kinda tone easier to hear the note your tapping!
I pretty much always play with my bridge pickup on my esp :P
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Elixir strings should help you with clarity. You should also practice a lot more. The more you do it the stronger your fingers will get and the clearer your tapping will become. For the ultimate test take a acoustic guitar and try to tap that Stu Hamm country solo. And take that as your goal. When you can pull that off on a acoustic you can do anything on the bass.
The jazz student
Quote by jazz_croatia
Elixir strings should help you with clarity. You should also practice a lot more. The more you do it the stronger your fingers will get and the clearer your tapping will become. For the ultimate test take a acoustic guitar and try to tap that Stu Hamm country solo. And take that as your goal. When you can pull that off on a acoustic you can do anything on the bass.

Oh god I've been trying to do some tapping, and since I only have an acoustic it sucks. I almost have to slam down my fingers, then I get fret buzz a bit. I guess I need to figure out the exact amount of pressure to use.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Practice makes perfect - part of it is strengtheing those particular finger muscles - I still get that problem. Turning up your amp often helps. Might not make it sound more perfect, but turning up the volume is always good ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
i dont know how, but i seemed to just pick up tapping easily
i started learning it on guitar first to get a feel for it, and then transferred it to my bass playing
so if you have a guitar, practice on that first, although i cant imagine it working for many other people
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
you might not be tapping with enough pressure on the string, I watched some guy do a bass tapping lesson and he said to put the top of your middle finger on the nail of your index finger, it helps to add more pressure without hurting your finger. It helped me, its sorta a habbit to tap like that now.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
when i started tapping it really taught me to turn up the volume knob but play softer with my picking hand. That way i get better technique while picking and my tapping is louder.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
String height is also very important. If your strings are too high, then it may be near impossible to get a decent tapping sound. A good pro setup would help a lot of things, including tapping.