Those two are both guitars that I would never recommend.

Do you have any gear now?

What music do you play?

What's your price range?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I play metal

And i believe the limit is 200 because this is my first electric.

I already looked them up and they have the humbucker pickups that i want but i just need to know which is better, would last longer, etc..
Well you definitely don't want the Jackson because it has a *really* cheap trem that'll help you guitar go out of tune as much as possible

Let me suggest:

Switch Stealth Oscar - Excellent starter guitar since there is no cheap wood that can warp; IE it can take a beating . Extremely resonant body (the entire guitar is one piece of material) and on sale for $100 cheaper than usual.

Agile Valkyrie III - Good guitar for the price.

Agile Ghost III Mahogany - Also a good guitar for the price Body may be a bit cumbersome.

Do you have an amp?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 22, 2007,
Would the Agile Valkyrie III be at guitar center?

No i dont have an amp. but i have one in mind. Its a berhinger. i think thats the name of it
Nopers; they sell direct from their store in NJ (which is why they can sell guitars with better specs for lower prices).

You *really* don't want either of the first guitars you listed.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by KroniKing
Would the Agile Valkyrie III be at guitar center?

No, they're only available online (or at least not at GC)

But I can tell you they are good guitars, especially with a setup, they are much nicer than the average beginner guitar.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Yeah, but im guessing these are gonna be temporary.. like a year or two. until i get a job and get a better amp or a guitar.
quite simply, you're not going to get more than a mediocre guitar for $200. I like hamish5178's suggestion of the Agiles, though. there's not much need to try them as it's your first electric and should be upgrading to something better relatively soon. what's your status on the amp?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
what's your status on the amp?

Still looking around. we're on a tight budget. But im trying to pull up the amp im interested in.
Quote by KroniKing
Yeah, but im guessing these are gonna be temporary.. like a year or two. until i get a job and get a better amp or a guitar.

Well then Agiles are a great option, they will last you for awhile.

As far as amps go, if you have the cash I'd recommend an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo, or if you're looking for something cheaper, the Vox mini amps are very nice.

edit:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Last edited by hamish5178 at Oct 22, 2007,
Quote by hamish5178
Well then Agiles are a great option, they will last you for awhile.

As far as amps go, if you have the cash I'd recommend an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo, or if you're looking for something cheaper, the Vox mini amps are very nice.

I love my Epi VJ, but I don't think it'd make that great of a beginner amp (not very versatile), especially for someone playing metal

The Roland Microcube is the amp you should get.

...and I suggested the Agile!
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
I love my Epi VJ, but I don't think it'd make that great of a beginner amp (not very versatile), especially for someone playing metal

The Roland Microcube is the amp you should get.

...and I suggested the Agile!

Yes you did suggest it

You're right, the metal bit slipped my mind. . .

As far as Vox vs Roland micro amps, I've played both (GF owns cube) the vox is about 20 bucks more, but it is louder and sounds better, otherwise they're mostly the same.

edit: yeah, those amps are junk
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

I usually go by the rule of never buying anything Behringer .

Pick a Roland Micro Cube up off of ebay.
Quote by utsapp89
well, what are u looking for? your not going to get any guitar with a good trem for $100-200
Yeah ive been thinking about just getting a guitar without a trem on it.

But like i said its just temporary. but i still would like a good guitar..

I guess i just need to keep on researching.
Why doesn't anyone ever suggest an RG120 in these situations? RG120
I was playing one in GC today, its a killer guitar for 200 bucks.
Quote by coinstarp12
Why doesn't anyone ever suggest an RG120 in these situations? RG120
I was playing one in GC today, its a killer guitar for 200 bucks.

Because of its cheap trem and agathis body perhaps?

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Well you definitely don't want the Jackson because it has a *really* cheap trem that'll help you guitar go out of tune as much as possible

I'm pretty sure tremolos on beginner guitars are pointless anyway.

I don't recommend that jackson becuase the electronics are complete crap. My buddy had one, if you cut the volume about about 7 or so on the guitar it would feedback no matter how far you are from the amp.

I'd recommend the Ibanez starter pack. Dual humbucker guitar, practice amp, gig bag. Everything you need to get started at a better price than trying to find a guitar, amp, cable, picks, tuner.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by KroniKing
Whats wrong with agathis?

It's a cheap tonewood that is very "dead" feeling.
Quote by utsapp89
Check your local music shops for something better used. Most used guitars I have bought sell for about half what they cost new unless it's some rare model. Depending on the store you can usually talk them down a few bucks as well most guitar stores jack the prices up. If they sell something for two hundred bucks they paid 100. You can always check the local ads for people selling guitars. I get all my best deals on Craigs list and Ebay. The only plus Craigs list has is you can meet the seller and try out the guitar. Always buy local with Craigs. If you know anyone who knows guitars take them with you so you can ask all the right questions and have some one with you that can try it out as well.

John
i dont suggest getting your first guitar used, why? because the first guitar you get chooses how you think about guitar. If you get a used, very badly set-up, then chances are you wont want to continue playing guitar, just because you had bad first experience
Ok i think im dropping the jackson and im conflicting between the LP-100 and the SG 310

I think im just blinded by the LP-100's eauty though because ive always wanted one and i gotta pick preformance over looks :\

But i read the reviews on the SG 310 and some said that the pickups are pretty weak. Well im heading to guitar center this weekend with my mom and were gonna look around.
For an LP style guitar and $200 check out the Silvertone SSL. Set neck and $200. Electronics are probably as good as any in this price range. Despite it being cheap it has a good reputation. For strat style definitely check Rondo (Agiles and SX.) Also good reps.
The Cube is a really decent starter amp, as is the Peavey Backstage.
noooo, i was hoping you wouldn't think about the 310. I have played the g-400, and that kinda sucked, so i dont know what to say about the 310.
good choice on the microcube.
Quote by KroniKing
Ok i think im dropping the jackson and im conflicting between the LP-100 and the SG 310

I think im just blinded by the LP-100's eauty though because ive always wanted one and i gotta pick preformance over looks :\

But i read the reviews on the SG 310 and some said that the pickups are pretty weak. Well im heading to guitar center this weekend with my mom and were gonna look around.

Don't get either of those Epiphones, they are both the bottom of the barrel and have a super cheap and almost flimsy bolt-on neck. The LP-100 is made of basswood and the G310 is made of alder .

Get one of the LP copies on this page, you won't be sorry .
Quote by utsapp89
I didn't know those Agile copies were that cheap, most definitely check them out. Forget the Silvertone (I won't be recommending these anymore) and the LP100.