whats the difference between fender standard and the 6 hole? if u look at players who use a lot of tremolo from before (hendrix, SRV, ritchie blackmore, malmsteen), quite a few of them use 6-point. myself have a 6-hole screwed down and blocked so it won't move.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
unless its a really good fender DO NOT get 2 hole, aka floating one cause it will not hold up tuning wise
6 hole is good for anything below american fender

oh pros of 6 hole is better tuning stability

cons not floating

pros of 2 is its floating

cons of course no tuning stability
Send me off to bed forevermore.
a two point tremolo is smoother than a 6 screw. would you rather it pivot on two blade edges or the sides of six screws? my two point stays in tune fine, provided i dont dry anything crazy that would require a locking nut as well. i haven't played a screw bridge in a while, but they generally are not recognized as having better tuning stability.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
The american 2 point seems to be very good, and able to handle more whammy abuse than a normal 6 point. I'm not sure if it has the same sustain as the 6 screw, especially if it is in a float position.

Perhaps one of the reason some of the players mentioned by EC used 6's is because the 2 point tremelo didnt appear till the late 80's (as far as i know - feel free to correct)
Quote by gazaa
a two point tremolo is smoother than a 6 screw. would you rather it pivot on two blade edges or the sides of six screws?

lol sounds alot more professional than me, id listen to him
Send me off to bed forevermore.
hmmm....ok, let me just clear a few things up, i'm not 100% sure what a floating bridge is. i'm gathering that the 2 point is floating, what's the advantage of having a floating bridge?

i'm putting it in a allparts.com semi holl0ow strat (ash).

so the 2 hole is smoother and the 6 is more of a vintage feel yes?
Last edited by rastaman_Marley at Oct 22, 2007,
No, Floating is when the tremolo is set up to where you can pull up and push down on it. Most tremolos can be setup that way.
Quote by hawk5211
The american 2 point seems to be very good, and able to handle more whammy abuse than a normal 6 point. I'm not sure if it has the same sustain as the 6 screw, especially if it is in a float position.

Perhaps one of the reason some of the players mentioned by EC used 6's is because the 2 point tremelo didnt appear till the late 80's (as far as i know - feel free to correct)

i don't think there's much difference in both bridges. i've played both, and didn't notice if it was a 6-point or a 2-point. its the last thing u'd care for.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I use a 6 hole which is back against the body. would never use a 2 point. cant bend whilst holding another note, tunings out of whack, its just not worth it
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp
Quote by ECistheBest
i don't think there's much difference in both bridges. i've played both, and didn't notice if it was a 6-point or a 2-point. its the last thing u'd care for.

It is a good thing to pay attention to.
lolz. well, one thing is that guitar center puts up strats up on the wall with a sticker in the tremolo bar hole, with no tremolo. thus i can't really notice any floating action. my finger just bends the strings until i hit the proper note (semi proper, i dont have perfect picth), so i dont notice any tremolo action.

so i shouldn't be posting in this thread hahahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
lolz. well, one thing is that guitar center puts up strats up on the wall with a sticker in the tremolo bar hole, with no tremolo. thus i can't really notice any floating action. my finger just bends the strings until i hit the proper note (semi proper, i dont have perfect picth), so i dont notice any tremolo action.

so i shouldn't be posting in this thread hahahaha.

lol ok makes sense...

I noticed a big difference when going from a 6 screw to a 2 post. I find it does hold tune better, as it is pivoting on the 2 knife edges instead of just pulling up, and being held down on the front by the 6 screws. Also less friction means it returnes to the same point as it started from. therefor, better tuning stability WHEN using tremelo bar.
6>2.
All you need to know.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The original six screw bridge sounds better. And you were asking for the best: that would be Callaham.