Hi. I've only been playing guitar for couple months now and I think I developed a bad habit! When I am picking my strings, I tend to put my pinky or pinky/ringfinger on the pickguard as I play. (right under my e string) If i try to play again without relying on it, then it would sound really sloppy Is this a bad habit and should I get rid of it?
I anchor my picking hand.

*shrug*
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
My guitar book says some players do that. If it makes your playing better, go for it. At least you don't do what I do and rest your hand on the bridge. I'm sure mine will rust from the sweat eventually.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
As long as it dosent interfere with your sound and you end up touching the strings alot then its good.
Quote by shiva0508
Hi. I've only been playing guitar for couple months now and I think I developed a bad habit! When I am picking my strings, I tend to put my pinky or pinky/ringfinger on the pickguard as I play. (right under my e string) If i try to play again without relying on it, then it would sound really sloppy Is this a bad habit and should I get rid of it?

i do it too, it's like it balances my hand or something, idk how to describe it, but when my pinky isn't resting on the pickgaurd my hand feels like it's just floating freely and it feels weird and i mess up a lot
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
My hand rests on the bridge lightly. I sound alright. In fact, I hold the pick the "wrong" way and I'm fine. If it works for you then it doesn't matter. I barely know any of my scales/chords yet I always get a good review.
hey, at least you don't do what I do. i rest my picking hand on the E and A strings, and when i want to play thoes, i take it off, and it always makes a sharp sound. im used to it, and even encorperate it into some of my songs, but for other people, its a bitch
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
yeah it gives me "balance" too and it feels really awkward my hand just hanging in the air
go ahead, most guitarists do it. i rest my palm right behind the saddles, which would be bad if i had a bridge like a floyd rose, there would be tuning issues, but all my guitars are tune-o-matics (like on gibson/epiphone) so it doesnt really matter much there
I do that too at times. I don't do it all the time, but it's not a bad thing. A lot of guitarists do it.
Quote by sobeisbull
go ahead, most guitarists do it. i rest my palm right behind the saddles, which would be bad if i had a bridge like a floyd rose, there would be tuning issues, but all my guitars are tune-o-matics (like on gibson/epiphone) so it doesnt really matter much there

I do that too. Some people say it slows you down, but I don't think so, as I've seen Malmsteen do the same thing, and he is anything but a slow player.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i do that too.. cept i dont sound sloppy when i dont do it, i only reli do it as a resting place for my hand when i'm playing like stairway to heaven or nothing else matters
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
I'm starting to anchor, and when I play consecutive notes on the low E I rest my palm above it on the body.
Some of the old Fender basses (don't remember which ones) have a rest designed to give more leverage. As long as it doesn't restrict you picking its ok.
some famous players do that. i know synyster gates (avenged sevenfold) does that and he plays good so... no problem
A lot of players do that... ummm whats his name from Godsmack does that... I do it sometimes (only when I'm PM though...)
John Petrucci does it and he plays VERY fast and accurate, and i do to, why would it be a bad habit? it is only bad if it affects your playing or sound.
as long as it dosent make you play awful if it helps its not bad my whole arm flys around when i play but if it helps i wouldnt worry about it
MAB anchors and he's very fast.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I do it as well.

I think the reason it works better for me is it gives a "point of reference" for my hand's "muscle memory."
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
its a thing you can do or not.

for example, yngwie leaves his hand on the bridge and some people say its a bad habit, but he can play good with that, so its choice of how relaxed you are. as jackson guitar company says: "with a more relaxed hand, you'll play better"
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
As long as it doesn't **** you up physically, there's no problem.

Just play however it's comfortable, it's not worth it to spend a ****load of time relearning how to play just because your way isn't the traditional approach.
I rest my hand on the bridge, which is a bit odd sometimes on my strat if I rest on it too much. I don't see what you do as a huge problem. Ya plays how ya plays
Anchoring is technically unhealthy for your hand. The angle that it causes you to hold your hand at, and the motion of moving your wrist while anchoring your pinky could lead to earlier tendonitis or carpal tunnel. Think why Dave Mustaine had to quit playing for a bit a while ago....

I don't believe that Malmsteen anchors while playing quickly - if you look when he's up there in speed, his pinky isn't staying in place - I do the same thing, sometimes it looks like I anchor because I stretch my fingers our when I play.

Similarly, and possibly the most annoying bit, the muscle memory. Your hand will become so used to being anchored while you play the style that you play that it will become extremely hard to retrain yourself to a new style of music after.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, sometimes I need to anchor just to be a bit more in control, but it's worth noting the issues with the practice.
i usually just strech my hand alot, i can pick harder that way x)