Ok, so get this my lads! I just got a very crazy idea. What if, I took a distortion/OD pedal, and put it in my VJ! Let's say it is a standard 3 knob configuration. So, you take the pedal out, and mount it. Then, you take away the level control part of the pedal, and hooked that up to the preamp tube, and put a switch, thus making it a 2 channel amp. So, it's essetially a gain, tone, and Soft/hard clipping mod all in one. I don't know much about mods, but this seems easily attainable. What are your opinions?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Er, I fail to see how this is different than just using the pedal normally?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178

The level control would work off of the preamp tube instead of the onboard boost. Other than that, no change really.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

i think its great.. find a pedal thats tone you LOVE.. and get an amp whos OD or distortion you hate... and the rest should come to you

i think its a good idea with a good distortion pedal
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Quote by CORT noob
The level control would work off of the preamp tube instead of the onboard boost. Other than that, no change really.

Ok, so you would only have one volume to adjust, and supposedly the tone will be different because you're driving the pedal with the pre-amp?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
Ok, so you would only have one volume to adjust, and supposedly the tone will be different because you're driving the pedal with the pre-amp?

I'm not sure, would it? But, the original volume stays, then an additional volume for the preamp, then a distortion/OD knob, and a tone knob.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Sounds possible with lots of research.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by muffinman123192
You are really something else Batman...

Didn't recognize the avatar! But, I save lives one day at a time.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Sounds possible. But the only point I see, is if you want good distortion from your VJ but don't want to carry around an extra stompbox. So if that's the case, go for it, but if you're just doing it for the hell of it, I'd say it's a waste of time.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
is it worth it? i think not.
the VJ being a single channel amp...
my bet would be to retain the Level control of the dist pedal and connect it AFTER the volume control of the VJ but youd keep the clean signal running trough the first tube preamp stage... you need to build a switching circuit that chooses between the clean tube signal and the OD stompbox signal... then the signal goes to the second preamp tube stage then to the power stage...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

do a master volume knob on the VJ, then put in some clean booster like a mosfet boost, or maybe the AMZ minibooster in before the preamp, but after the input jack. maybe make it dual jacks, one with the booster, one bypassed. i think it would be pretty cool.

a preamp volume knob, master volume knob, and an additional fat boost knob.

EDIT: why doesn't everyone like this? i dig it...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't know if I want to do it. I'm just curious. I bet it would make it sound a lot more metal though, with alot of preamp gain. I'm not too experienced with mods outside of a guitar. Never built a pedal or anything. If I find an OD I really like, I'll consider it.

BTW, what got me thinking about this, is JCM 800s. It says they have a triode clipping stage in it, and OD's have clippings of some sort, so it got me thinking. Could someone explain triode clipping to me?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at Oct 23, 2007,
i'd stay stick a clean booster inside it so it drives your tube even harder.

oh, and lower the 1Meg input resistor too. that's a gain sucker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i'd stay stick a clean booster inside it so it drives your tube even harder.

oh, and lower the 1Meg input resistor too. that's a gain sucker.

Nah, I like mah cleans . I'm just curious as to what a Triode clipping is. Is it sort of like a SS Dist. pedal? Or more like an OD pedal?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by hamish5178

it doesnt, maybe less noise, but i doubt that...
i played a boutique amp that had a ts 808 built in to it.
im not gonna lie, it did not sound very good. i cant recall the name of the company, i want to say tsunami or hurricane or tidal or something. it colst like $8000 for a 30 watt amp.
Quote by chea_man
i played a boutique amp that had a ts 808 built in to it.
im not gonna lie, it did not sound very good. i cant recall the name of the company, i want to say tsunami or hurricane or tidal or something. it colst like $8000 for a 30 watt amp.

Oh, that's dissapointing
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

that's cuz its a TS808 inside. what about two channels with a rangemaster on one, and bypass on the other? lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Why on earth would you do this? You'll lose the ability to switch clean/distorted mid-song.

That is, unless you build a footswitch too.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by TwoString
I'm pretty sure this subject has come up before, and I'm pretty sure Kerry shot it down due to the fact that there isn't a tap off of the power transformer that will power a pedal.

You could quite easily build in a power adapter, so unless there's no space, that's not really a problem.
Quote by ECistheBest
that's cuz its a TS808 inside. what about two channels with a rangemaster on one, and bypass on the other? lol.

well it was built as a two channel amp/ but it wasnt the fact that it had a tubescreamer inside that made it bad, it was the sound of the amp.
http://www.guitarheads.net/product%20pages/QDD2.htm

there are several of these kinds of things around. There was some popular site that had a lot of different onboard effects. the main problem with this is the amount of space you have, some extra wood cutting and such might be necessary to get it to fit

====
EDIT

it was guitarfetish i dont know why I couldnt remember where I saw them

http://store.guitarfetish.com/modboards.html

but these are nice cause they are much much smaller and the pots are designed to work with just one pot, so you dont have the 4-8 pots for different things. Like all the different eq settings
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^ That's for on your guitar, not the amp.
Quote by CORT noob
I don't know if I want to do it. I'm just curious. I bet it would make it sound a lot more metal though, with alot of preamp gain. I'm not too experienced with mods outside of a guitar. Never built a pedal or anything. If I find an OD I really like, I'll consider it.

BTW, what got me thinking about this, is JCM 800s. It says they have a triode clipping stage in it, and OD's have clippings of some sort, so it got me thinking. Could someone explain triode clipping to me?

A triode is your preamp tubes. They have three bits in the signal part, therefore triode. A diode has two, tetrode has four, pentode has five. Anyway, the triode clipping is just when you raise up the preamp gain, which gets the preamp to distort (which is the
same as clipping, in guitar terminology).
oh haha, i didnt read the first post all the way through I was just assuming that it was in the guitar Ive seen several of those, haha my bad...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ That's for on your guitar, not the amp.

A triode is your preamp tubes. They have three bits in the signal part, therefore triode. A diode has two, tetrode has four, pentode has five. Anyway, the triode clipping is just when you raise up the preamp gain, which gets the preamp to distort (which is the
same as clipping, in guitar terminology).

I see now! I might try to just have a footswitchable gain knob, that would probably better than installing an SS pedal into mah amps. That is if I ever decide to mod it though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

If you really wanted to go nuts on the twin-channel thing, you could add another 12AX7 in there for another two gain stages in the preamp. That'd be really gainy when you kick it in, and it'd be good fun to try, too.
Quote by cokeisbetter
If you really wanted to go nuts on the twin-channel thing, you could add another 12AX7 in there for another two gain stages in the preamp. That'd be really gainy when you kick it in, and it'd be good fun to try, too.

It would be fun to try, but alas I've never modded an amp or pedal before
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123