Page 1 of 2
so wat r some things i need to know about tube amps when i buy one

like how do i take care of it?

what is biasing? and how often do i do it?

how often do the tubes have to be changed?

and any other info i need to know about tube amps
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
hey buddy, korn rules man!

umm just treat it like an amp, change it when the tone starts to get worse, and if biasing is something you dont know the definition of, its not worth doing.

like subtraction... i get along just fine without it
tubes are sick, the sound a lot better than solid states, i only have one thing i dislike about tubes and that is you must crank them to get them to sound their best ( nothing an attenuator cant solve though)
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

umm just treat it like an amp, change it when the tone starts to get worse, and if biasing is something you dont know the definition of, its not worth doing.

your an idiot...to TS i believe there is a sticky on this.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
your an idiot...to TS i believe there is a sticky on this.

That there is, read the stickies.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

why r u talkin B.S about tubes when you have marshall MG HALF STACK?

squire strat
MG 15
Spider 30

i am useless + i phail
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

It's posts like this that keep me coming back here day after day...
Ben
im just saying based on friends experiences with tube amps, so far i dont know anyone who had their tubes die out yet, and the amps are 2 years old, so i read that when the tone starts crapping out, u change tubes
and as for biasing i was kidding when i said its probably useless, im sure its very important whatever it is
PS When you replace your power tubes, if there are four tubes you buy two matched pairs and set them up like xyyx and if there are 6 tubes you go xyzzyx

edit:
Quote by mercinariesgtr
tubes are sick, the sound a lot better than solid states, i only have one thing i dislike about tubes and that is you must crank them to get them to sound their best ( nothing an attenuator cant solve though)

Not necessarily n00b

Cranking preamp tubes=more gain

Cranking power tubes=more power amp gain, not something you always want. For example, cranking my Triple Rec all the way would not only be ridiculously loud, but give poweramp distortion, muddying up my tone and not sounding good for the style I play. However, powertube distortion is great for things like rock, blues, etc., but for teh_metuhlz I don't want it, meaning cranking my amp would make it sound worse.
Last edited by Say Ocean at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
im just saying based on friends experiences with tube amps, so far i dont know anyone who had their tubes die out yet, and the amps are 2 years old, so i read that when the tone starts crapping out, u change tubes

i have a tube amp and i changed all my tubes after 6 months. i bought it new too. thats how crappy stock tubes are. after market replacement tubes are awesome. i dunno how much of the 2 years ur friends with tube amps played their amps, but i played mine every day and it lasted me 6 months. i wonder how much my replacement tubes would cost though.

and as far as biasing, it's for when you replace the powertubes. some amps don't require rebias on the same types of tubes (ie: change EL84 to another EL84), but some amps require rebias on every tube swap.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i have a tube amp and i changed all my tubes after 6 months. i bought it new too. thats how crappy stock tubes are. after market replacement tubes are awesome. i dunno how much of the 2 years ur friends with tube amps played their amps, but i played mine every day and it lasted me 6 months. i wonder how much my replacement tubes would cost though.

and as far as biasing, it's for when you replace the powertubes. some amps don't require rebias on the same types of tubes (ie: change EL84 to another EL84), but some amps require rebias on every tube swap.

What he said.

Some amps are fixed bias (ike mine) and you have to tell them what amp you have when you get tubes from them. Others do require rebiasing.
^most amps are fixed bias. i've heard some amps bias themselves, but havent came across one. my blues jr is cathode biased, and i usually don't have to rebias my tubes if i'm just changing my EL84 powertubes with another EL84.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Sometimes you do have to rebias even if you're going from EL84 to EL84 or 6L6 to 6L6, but most of the time its not gonna be such a huge difference that whats perfect for one set of tubes will just completely destroy another set of tubes.
Quote by Say Ocean
Sometimes you do have to rebias even if you're going from EL84 to EL84 or 6L6 to 6L6, but most of the time its not gonna be such a huge difference that whats perfect for one set of tubes will just completely destroy another set of tubes.

did u get what i said in my post? or is it too late at night?

i said my BJ was cathode biased, so usually doesnt require rebiasing. seems like it's running kinda hot after the retubing though. iono how each tubes react. (i had stock groove tubes, or rebranded sovteks, and i got new JJ/Tesla EL84s.)

and in the 60s, 70s not too many people cared to bias their amps lol. when tubes blow during a concert, they just stick another one in. (i think that was fromt he joe perry interview from a while ago..)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
did u get what i said in my post? or is it too late at night?

i said my BJ was cathode biased, so usually doesnt require rebiasing. seems like it's running kinda hot after the retubing though. iono how each tubes react. (i had stock groove tubes, or rebranded sovteks, and i got new JJ/Tesla EL84s.)

and in the 60s, 70s not too many people cared to bias their amps lol. when tubes blow during a concert, they just stick another one in. (i think that was fromt he joe perry interview from a while ago..)

Haha oops too much to read while doing chem I've been skimming
haha chem? r u doing molarity??? duuude. i took a quiz friday and i didn't know wtf was going on... and after today, i looked at the book for 5 seconds and i understood wtf it was. its laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
haha chem? r u doing molarity??? duuude. i took a quiz friday and i didn't know wtf was going on... and after today, i looked at the book for 5 seconds and i understood wtf it was. its laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame...

YES I'M DOING MOLARITY ****

Its not hard to understand at all, but its the same problem over and over and over...
haha good thing i don't have homework for chem. it's physics that's killing me. i took chemistry freshman year in high school. now first year in college, taking it again. but in parallel with physics too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Say Ocean
Don't play through the amp if a tube breaks, change the filter caps every few years or your amp will short, etc

Where the hell did you hear that? That's ridiculous. Changing filter caps is incredibly dangerous if not done right. I have a 20 year old JCM, and a 15 year old AC30 head, and it hasn't shorted out yet.

Although my JCM lasted 20 years, it probably will need a change in 5 more years. However, "every few years" is too often, and inconvenient to change caps. it's not really clear cut when caps go bad.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by Reincaster
Where the hell did you hear that? That's ridiculous. Changing filter caps is incredibly dangerous if not done right. I have a 20 year old JCM, and a 15 year old AC30 head, and it hasn't shorted out yet.

Although my JCM lasted 20 years, it probably will need a change in 5 more years. However, "every few years" is too often, and inconvenient to change caps. it's not really clear cut when caps go bad.

By change, I meant have a tech change them, and every few years basically means once in a while. Its better to have them changed to often than not often enough

Its best to change them every ten years. First of all, you don't want to wait until it shorts out to change it. And it will sound way better with new caps, they affect the voltage inside the amp.
aahaha. molarity is so lame. i have a bonus quiz on naming common ion names... and i cannot remember stuff. especially names.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha, i had to fill in a periodic table for chem quiz and i didn't know any so i just wrote my name in the element boxes, and my names not enough letters so i filled the rest with exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Say Ocean
By change, I meant have a tech change them, and every few years basically means once in a while. Its better to have them changed to often than not often enough

Its best to change them every ten years. First of all, you don't want to wait until it shorts out to change it. And it will sound way better with new caps, they affect the voltage inside the amp.

Actually, if it's an older amp, before the 90's, it's best to change them every 20 years, and the 90's and on can go on for a bit longer.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Actually, if it's an older amp, before the 90's, it's best to change them every 20 years, and the 90's and on can go on for a bit longer.

I would never wait over 20 years to have my amp recapped. I think I'll listen to the advice of Jerry, the owner of FJA mods
Quote by Say Ocean
PS When you replace your power tubes, if there are four tubes you buy two matched pairs and set them up like xyyx and if there are 6 tubes you go xyzzyx

edit:

Not necessarily n00b

Cranking preamp tubes=more gain

Cranking power tubes=more power amp gain, not something you always want. For example, cranking my Triple Rec all the way would not only be ridiculously loud, but give poweramp distortion, muddying up my tone and not sounding good for the style I play. However, powertube distortion is great for things like rock, blues, etc., but for teh_metuhlz I don't want it, meaning cranking my amp would make it sound worse.

I know exactly how they work, in my case i have to crank them, i have a vj (no stock internals) and a duncan and they both sound far better cranked , then again i like blues and 60's 70's rock if i want cleans they sound best a lil before the break up
Shot, you're a junior right?

This is how our science classes go as wed progress:

8th - Physical
9th - Biology (me)
10th - Earth Science
11th - Chemistry
12th - Physics

I think that's right...
Ben
^lol im first year in college. hahaha.

but for me, it was:
freshman: chemistry
sophomore: biology
junior: nothing!
senior: physics

1st year in college: chemistry AND physics...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yay no mathematics rocks! getting a 5 for the AP calculus test is worth it!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^ i didnt take the AP calc test

we had a bad teacher adn i didnt learn anything

wish i did though.

did take the AP chem test though
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
haha only AP i took in high school was calculus. didn't do hw. and i was expecting to get a 3 on the ap test. but i got a 5.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
sweet.

i took AP English, Chem, and Calculus. i hate english though .

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
I'm in anatomy cause my damn school gave me AP Physics when I wanted DE Physics and stupid me thought that regular Anatomy would be easy, dear god was I wrong. Never take anatomy if you're not going to be a doctor, ever, ever!!!

Ever!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
They through me in Anatomy...i just slept through that class. It wasnt that it was hard, just it was too much work/memorization, and i was in A-school at the begging of that semester

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Page 1 of 2