Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to refine a recorded guitar sound. I'm recording directly through my mic in (using a 1/4" jack adapter) going through my boss metal zone pedal. I want a 'cleaner' (and i use the term very loosely) sound. I want a more defined sound and less general fuzz in my recordings.

Also, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the mastering of recordings done through Adobe Audition?

Thanks
Kerry Rowe

ps. The version of Audition i'm using is the most recent one, i just cant remember what version that is ha !
turn the drive of your pedal down.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

G'day mothership,
I've tried turning the drive/distortion down on it, but turning the distortion down actually alters the sound and i'm looking for a very heavy, 'ballsy' distortion.
I am just looking for getting rid of the 'excess' noise, not the distortion.
Any suggestions?
aahh.. Happens to me all the time. I don't know the reason but i think it is just way it is because you are using a direct recording. Guitar>fx>pc. What I would do is turn the recording volume down. It's in the control panel. Your sound setting. Then, when played of course noise will be absent and just your decent distortion will be recorded. So after recording, you can just edit or cut the excess noise at the end or just disengage the pedal right after playing. This is all i can think of. Wish it helps
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

mothership,
Yeah thanks man helps a bit. I just wish i could get that clean distortion. (LOL hows that for an oxymoron !)

ALSO!
Does anyone know if there is an adapter available that can connect the line in (microphone in, whatever you want to call it) with the line out (speaker connection) so i can hear the sound of my guitar through my computer speakers, whilst still recording.
At the moment if i have it in the line in i can record but i don't get any sound out, or i can put it in the line out and hear the guitar but not actually record anything.

Thanks,
Kerry Rowe
Why can't you get a sound of the speakers if you play? Maybe your speakers is on mute or something. NO, im pretty sure your mic output is on mute..

Go to control panel and click your sound settings. Find the recording setting and do not mute the output or something like that. Can't remember because I am now running on mac
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

mothership,
No, i can only have one or the other, i only have one lead and ideally it would have two ends on it. Can you run me through your set up for recording? Possibly link me to a page where i can hear the quality of your recordings.
Thanks
Kerry Rowe
click my sig for my recordings. or my profile here in UG. i dont use windows for recording anymore sorry..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

clean recording? direct into mic input?
not gonna happen. all sorts of problems with level and impedance mismatch there. if your coming straight out of a pedal then you should be going through the Line In on the PC.

id also recommend getting rid of the Metal Zone

Audition isnt really intended for mastering either, unless you get a VST plugin of a good compressor and add it as an fx bus in the multitrack.
Definitely get rid of the metal Zone, it is terrible for tone i feel.

Next, with the way you seem to be recording you aren't going to get a very 'tight' distorted sound. Im not familiar with adobe audition and if it can EQ then i see no problem with turning down the gain on the metal boss as i think it may be the source of your problem. You can then double/triple/quadruple track even to thicken the sound up (simply cheat and copy and paste the track again...and again if needs be). With the EQ skills that you will attain by practice you will be able to make your guitar sound decent enough.

I always think of it like this, if it sounds good at the source that will help your problem is is that your tone is bad to start off with. I would consider investing more (if you are interested in recording) in a good dynamic mic such as the brilliant shure sm57 ...had to be said ok! And possible getting a good mixer (even small...unless you are interested in recording drums anytime soon). By experimenting with the positioning of the mic and attaining EQing skills you will achieve a decent enough sound.

Also, now don't quote me here, but ive heard that using a 1/4" jack adapter can largely effect your tone.

Ive never been a fan of your type of recording...i tend to go more analogue i cant really recommend any cheapish mixers that would suit your needs as i havent had many but im sure people here can help you out. Basically, find a tight dist. sound from the source (i.e your amp) and then i would recommend using a mic fro your recordings such as i have stated before.

Hope this was of some help!
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Mr Loomis Shred,
I actually went out and purchased a JTS 57 dynamic mic (supposed to be about 90% of the shure, but about $150 cheaper) in the hopes of recording, but this too was no success. i found it very difficult to even get a reading onto my computer using it and i think it may be because (now dont quote me on this) that using the mic cables with 1/4" on one end about halve the output signal.
What would be the best way to record using the 57?
Thanks,
Kerry Rowe