looking into getting an overdrive pedal, atm im running a boss metal zone up front of my randall rh50t as a boost but i need to replace it with an overdrive, im after something smooth and warm sounding, and good for hi-gain metal as thats all I play. are there any particular overdrive pedals I should look into? Ive got my eye on the mxr zakk wylde overdrive, would this pedal be worth getting?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Tube. Screamer.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
But get it modified by Robert Keeley. Fuller, better sound.

Or you could do it yourself for about $15
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Or you could do it yourself for about $15

Or you could just buy a Maxon OD-9 and have to do nothing because it is phenomenal
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I've always experienced that Overdriving a lead channel with an OD pedal (unless it was on a VERY low gain level) produced mushy feedback. Especially for chord work. I would try an EQ or a clean boost like a Microamp first.
Unless thats what you want?
I use my TS-9 to boost my recto-verb and it sounds phenomenal. Just a tip though when you do get one, put the drive on your OD all the way down but crank the volume on the pedal.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by demea
I've always experienced that Overdriving a lead channel with an OD pedal (unless it was on a VERY low gain level) produced mushy feedback. Especially for chord work. I would try an EQ or a clean boost like a Microamp first.
Unless thats what you want?

operator error :stickpoke
that's the point of boosting/tightening a dirty channel, you don't want/need the pedal adding a lot of overdrive, so you keep the OD low on the pedal and turn up the level/vol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
that's the point of boosting/tightening a dirty channel, you don't want/need the pedal adding a lot of overdrive, so you keep the OD low on the pedal and turn up the level/vol.

Exactly
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by Guitarmike123
Perhaps something like this?

Discontinued? WTF?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Erock503

Ehhh. I just go with better amps and use their native distortion.
Just my opinion, though.
Never been a big fan of OD pedals, although I do use a Monte Allums modded SD-1 for driving my clean/slighty distorted channel.
Quote by demea
Ehhh. I just go with better amps and use their native distortion.
Just my opinion, though.
Never been a big fan of OD pedals, although I do use a Monte Allums modded SD-1 for driving my clean/slighty distorted channel.

yeah, it's preference. I've liked using an OD as a dirty boost/tightener with just about every high gain amp I've owned. I'm an OD addict though, love my stomps. I have a favorite one I use just for this task though, a modded OD808. It's my weapon of choice for boosting a dirty channel. I have others I like for running on a clean or solo boost.

As an aside, I really like his kits too. They aren't too much more than you could buy the good parts for, and it's laid out nice so it's easy to do. I bought his kit for a dynacomp, and it made it sound like a compressor twice it's price.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, it's preference. I've liked using an OD as a dirty boost/tightener with just about every high gain amp I've owned. I'm an OD addict though, love my stomps. I have a favorite one I use just for this task though, a modded OD808. It's my weapon of choice for boosting a dirty channel. I have others I like for running on a clean or solo boost.

As an aside, I really like his kits too. They aren't too much more than you could buy the good parts for, and it's laid out nice so it's easy to do. I bought his kit for a dynacomp, and it made it sound like a compressor twice it's price.

I like them second to the Keeley kits, but the Allums are wayyyy more affordable and in all honesty...I'm no pro so I dont care if its not "that tone"...lol.
I used to use my TS808 to drive the lead channel of my JCM900 for heavier stuff, but that rig is long gone.
ibanez ts 808 its the original one, or the maxon as i hear they both use the same original design
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
hmmm there's a lot of pedals been recommended in here, maybe i should do a poll, i really dont know which to go for. maybe a tubescreamer, but i dont know which kind to go for. I had my eye on the zakk wylde overdrive because i can get one used pretty cheap, are they decent?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
i dunno, when i boost an amp with a screamer, i like to put everything at about 12 o'clock.. give or take. adds a neat character.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Hmm, I'd go with a Timmy, or maybe a Fulldrive.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
How about an active EQ (the kind with like +12dB of boost), BEFORE the amp as a "pedal?" Been dying to try that myself. As soon as I get an active EQ.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by LEVEL4
How about an active EQ (the kind with like +12dB of boost), BEFORE the amp as a "pedal?" Been dying to try that myself. As soon as I get an active EQ.

you mean like an mxr 10 band? I have one of those in the loop of my amp to shape the tone
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
you mean like an mxr 10 band? I have one of those in the loop of my amp to shape the tone
Oh. Right. How much boost in dBs do those MXRs put out? I was thinking more like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-GEQ-215-2-Channel-15-Band-Graphic-Equalizer-180153-i1276390.gc

This is one of the least-expensive, active +12dB EQs on the market—and 12dB of boost is about as high as I've seen. I wasn't speaking from any experience with the unit or anything. I just always thought this would be neat to try out as a kind of highly controllable "boost pedal." You know, not in the effects loop, but put it BEFORE the amp to act as a sort of tunable "boost."
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 26, 2007,
^ I've seen 25dB clean boosters before.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ I've seen 25dB clean boosters before.
Really? I would be very interested in knowing about such a product. I mean, if it's not crazy expensive.

Metal
TS9
MXR Dist +
Krank Maximus
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
^^ http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

It's a project thing, IE you build it. I was gonna build one, but I've not enough money at the moment. It can go up to 35dB of boost apparently.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
Really? I would be very interested in knowing about such a product. I mean, if it's not crazy expensive.

Lot's of OD's like the Timmy, OCD, and Seymour Duncan Pickup boosters can add +25dB os signal gain. The timmy can do it perfectly clean. The OCD is about $140, timmy about $250, and the SD booster is about $79.

Infact, my timmy and OCD have so much boost you can hear it through headphones plugged into the output of the pedals.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Listen to Phantom and Phantom 2 ---> http://mrsandman.dmusic.com/

That is a Guyatone Metal Monster thru a 1988 Randall RG100ES.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by MrSandMan
Listen to Phantom and Phantom 2 ---> http://mrsandman.dmusic.com/

That is a Guyatone Metal Monster thru a 1988 Randall RG100ES.

that thing sounds pretty vicious. Is that all pedal over a clean, or is it boosting?
amp clips
amp vids
The RG100ES has the capability to blend 2 channels. If my memory serves me correctly, ( blended it to taste) so RG100ES is probably somewhat distorted for more low end growl and the Guytone does the rest.

I mainly like the guyatone because of all the tone adjustments (EQ'n) capabilities. It's a tad bit fizzy... Easy fix if you want to swap out the preamp tube to something lighter, like a 12AT7 or an old Phillips JAN ECG 12AX7WA. (which really did the trick)
"
-Maynard

| |
Bad Monkey is the best bang for the buck.
"
-Maynard

| |