Whats an easy way to wear your finish away. No sanding that looks to fake.
Quote by thedude051
Play the guitar.

+1
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Play it lots, the reason most of the strats you see, like SRV and Rorys are so worn away, is because they havea nitro finish. And Rorys was stolen and left in a ditch or marsh for a while. Just play the hell out of it.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
What difference does it make?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
It also depends on the finish on your guitar, the reason SRV's looked so beat up was because it had a nitrocellulose lacquer that Fender used to use, this wears off easier than the finish on today's guitars. I say set fire to it.
Quote by truespin
What difference does it make?

OT: i was just listening to that song haha.
Quote by Jayez
OT: i was just listening to that song haha.

....What song?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
sweet all your ideas are pretty cool, i will try the fire thing and the key thing
Wear a belt and dont clean the neck and body. You could try using keys and such, but nothing will help get "the look" as much as just playing it.
lighting it on fire might actually work... I heard when Hendrix burned his guitar the only damage was to the paint... for the most part anyway.
This kind of question should goto the Gear Building and Customizing section. What you should do is play it out. And by that, I mean a lot. Treat it like it's your ugly stepsister who gets **** from her parent.
Sent from my iPad.
i heard leaving it out in the sun works. try that, and tell me if it works! thanks.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Dont leave it out in the sun!! You want the neck warping?? NO!!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
The sun ages the finish quite considerably. Sanding works IF you put a lot of dirt in the wood that is bared by it - look at Rory's Strat, the wood is all dark brown from sweat and dirt, wheras it's normally a beige colour. I recommend a very special mix of charcoal, olive oil and brown food colouring.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
One of the reasons i bought a Fender American Vintage RI is because of the nitro finish
i was very lucky as its one of two guitar types with 3 colour sunburst with the finish and i got it on sale reduced from 3500 to 2300!!
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp
Quote by MrCarrot
I recommend a very special mix of charcoal, olive oil and brown food colouring.

recipe please?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009

Well you get a cheese grater, grind the charcoal into dust using the fine side, add Olive Oil to the mixture until it goes gloopy but not very runny, and then brown food colouring to taste

Make sure you test it on like, plywood or something before you do this on your guitar.

This is because I was half joking and half serious
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Gibson does "aging" on guitars. The luthier that specializes in this process at Gibson is Tom Murphy. Here he is explaining the process (Tom says many "ahhh"'s so be warned lol):

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGaLB2I2GFE

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNu6eksT_8

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cseWcsEXPFo

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPGUtYYsalY

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oZum4jrQVU

Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC96WoRDAuw

Part 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYy_KvIfVG8

This might help you with some ideas

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by MrCarrot

Well you get a cheese grater, grind the charcoal into dust using the fine side, add Olive Oil to the mixture until it goes gloopy but not very runny, and then brown food colouring to taste

Make sure you test it on like, plywood or something before you do this on your guitar.

This is because I was half joking and half serious

alright *writes down*

might help me later on in life

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Cobalt Blue
lighting it on fire might actually work... I heard when Hendrix burned his guitar the only damage was to the paint... for the most part anyway.

it got underneath my paint and caught the wood alight =P
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Just play it, and i'm not joking this works.
My Ibanez has a poly finish and though wood isnt showing, you can tell it's been played a lot, and it's only been mine since the start of the year (march time) if you're up close you can see dings on the headstock and neck and can see where my belt has scratched the back.

So just play the guitar, don't treat it like you'd treat a PRS though
Smash it with hard metal things so the finish would chip off. Then make some coffee, and mix it with dust from vaccuum. Rub that mixture on raw wood, hardware, masking plates, finish, whatever. Then smassh the straplocks inside. Make some chips in clear lacquer and etcetera. Also get some water on hardware so it go all rusty. Those things will make your guitar look as if it had 30 years... or 5 years of careless usage. Use your imagination...

And ofcourse pee on it
You can't really "play it out" if it's a poly finish. Use wire wool on bits that would get a lot of contact from arms etc.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I found out accidentally that a good way of aging the back of maple necks is to sand the finish of it, and play it.

I sanded the finish off the back of one of my basses to improve the playability, and a few months later its all brown and looks like it has been played a lot (even though it hasen't)

I don't recommend this though, because the neck could get warped from moisture.
playing iti s definately the best way, if you sand it very little that may work, my strat has a nitrolucose and after only 3 monthhs im starting to see a cool vintage like fade i nthe paint