They are way over priced for what they do. I don't think they sound too bad either for a practice amp, but they are over priced for what you get.
Quote by CJRocker
They are way over priced for what they do. I don't think they sound too bad either for a practice amp, but they are over priced for what you get.

+1. Actually I found the 30W one sounds better than the 100W one. But they all sound like SS pieces of sh!t to me.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by CJRocker

the 15 watt version is not as much of a rip off. but the half stack gives me nightmares. it is somewaht useable at bedroom volumes for practicing but thats about it.

people usually just take it too far if you ask me. i mean yeah, its a crappy amp... but its not as bad as everyone says it is.
I've used the 15 watt MGDFX for 5 years now as my only amp. I like it.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by CJRocker

+1

They're not horrible amps, just overpriced and you could get something better for the same amount.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
my guitarist has one in my band and it breaks up really bad at half volume. the cab that comes with it is really nice however. maybe it's just because he is dumb and cranks the input gain WAAAY too much and also uses a distortion pedal.....but YOU try telling him it would sound cleaner if he lessened the gain and increased the volume to compensate
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
The real reason for bashing them is a warning to people not to spend so much on such a mediocre amp.

Seriously, my 40W tube amp used was $70 less than a brand new 100W Marhsall MG. And I'd bet good money that my amp would completely blow the MG out of the water in terms of both volume and tone. Point: there's better amps, for less money and more volume.
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
You know an amp is a POS when an amp out of a beginner pack sounds just as good.
People hate them because there are so many threads asking why everyone hates them

Generally they just suck for the price on offer, in comparison to other amps that can be had for a similar price. If some people love them though, more power to 'em.
Everybody who disagrees can go eat their own s*** ... I love my Mg100dfx ... to all those who think it sounds disgusting : Did you actually try arranging the knobs so that it would sound decent... It's my favorite amp in the solid-state department ... I know it doesn't compare to tube amps but **** man ... I think it's awesome..
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
The real reason for bashing them is a warning to people not to spend so much on such a mediocre amp.

Seriously, my 40W tube amp used was $70 less than a brand new 100W Marhsall MG. And I'd bet good money that my amp would completely blow the MG out of the water in terms of both volume and tone. Point: there's better amps, for less money and more volume.

What amp?
Im not trying to argue im sure it does im gonna be shoppin for a tube amp sometime I wanna get to know them
God dammit guys...

If I had a nickel for everytime this thread has been done I would have bought Marshall by now and destroyed the MG series. And don't give us any of this crap about the search button not working because by now you should be able to just go back a few pages and find a similar thread.

Now, your question has been answered. There are much better amps for the price. We don't want people trying to piss away $600 for the Marshall name.
Ben
Quote by Absolute!Abser
Everybody who disagrees can go eat their own s*** ... I love my Mg100dfx ... to all those who think it sounds disgusting : Did you actually try arranging the knobs so that it would sound decent... It's my favorite amp in the solid-state department ... I know it doesn't compare to tube amps but **** man ... I think it's awesome..

What the people are saying is they're not bad practice amp, it's just that if you turn it up to loud, the crappy tone starts breaking up and making it sound worse than it began with. And you can get alot better stuff for what you spent on that.
But it's seriously up to you, I would take a tube amp or a better solid state amp over that any day.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by Absolute!Abser

You haven't played many solid state amps then and I mean that in the nicest way. When I played MGs with other great SS amps side by side, such as the Yamaha DG-60, I noticed less mud, more clarity. Perhaps one reason for this is because Marshall uses their cheapest components into their lowest end amplifier; the MG.

Which is another thing that bugs me. Why do people get the lowest end of a high end product? Usually that'll yield a crappy product when compared to other manufacturers.
Quote by Absolute!Abser
I think it's awesome..

There is nothing wrong with that! In fact, it's good that you like something that won't cost you a ton of money to get your desired tone.

Wayne Static uses MGs. If I had his money, I sure as hell wouldn't play an MG, but still, he likes them...I guess...and it's workin for him.

Most UGers who have played MG's and dislike them actually have messed with the EQ as well. There are no amazing tones onboard that amp. Decent tones, workable tones, but there is no classic marshall anywhere in that amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by muffinman123192
God dammit guys...

If I had a nickel for everytime this thread has been done I would have bought Marshall by now and destroyed the MG series. And don't give us any of this crap about the search button not working because by now you should be able to just go back a few pages and find a similar thread.

Now, your question has been answered. There are much better amps for the price. We don't want people trying to piss away $600 for the Marshall name.

hey, there's absolutely no reason for me to get angry with you but i just didn't bother to search and i just happened to post a new thread about Marshalls. I don't care much for the search button, I just wanna post a thread, have dinner, come back and read the replies.

Anyway to those of you who didn't bitch at me about making a new thread, thank you.
peanuts and beers

HAHAHA

haveyou EVER played a decent tube amp? like a CL 30, or a 5105, 6505, valveking? anything? i went to a guitar shop today and tried a marshall mg 100..it was worse then the marshall mg 15 i had. tried Line 6 spiders..haha another story there.

For $150, you can get a VJR 5watts of tube amp..which sounds 100% better.
squire strat
MG 15
Spider 30

i am useless + i phail
Quote by felenoral

Which is another thing that bugs me. Why do people get the lowest end of a high end product? Usually that'll yield a crappy product when compared to other manufacturers.

The Mesa F series or Express series is no where near crappy...there aren't many amps that'll drive that hard near that price. Carvin V3, B-52 AT100, Randall V2 being exceptions.

...just trying to throw out a different "lowest end" of a "high end" company.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Infatuation
hey, there's absolutely no reason for me to get angry with you but i just didn't bother to search and i just happened to post a new thread about Marshalls. I don't care much for the search button, I just wanna post a thread, have dinner, come back and read the replies.

Anyway to those of you who didn't bitch at me about making a new thread, thank you.

No man, I don't have a problem about you in particular, but when you frequent this area like me, you get tired of seeing this exact thread coming up every couple of days.

Sorry if I came off a little strong.
Ben
Quote by DeadMeadow
What amp?
Im not trying to argue im sure it does im gonna be shoppin for a tube amp sometime I wanna get to know them

Traynor Custom Valve 40 2x10 combo, or YCV40-T. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690183

Find one used and you have an Amazing amp for $400-$500.
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by Absolute!Abser

YOU ARE A ****ING DUMBASS
i dont know how i could have made that come out more nicely
what the **** did you play this next to a squire starter amp
because thats the only other amp this sht beats this amp
there are way bettor SS amps out there for THE SAME PRICE
and in my opinion if you own a marshall mg your just a dumbass
plain and simple for the reason that you could get an amp at the same price that has more to offer
I think the reason people buy this amp is because they are new to playing electric and just figure what the **** why not get a marshall
thats what i did and then i returned it back to GC in less than two weeks and got a Valvetronix dont get me wrong i think the vox is good after having it for 4 months
i wish i could have known more about the diffrent amps out there and probly would have gotten a low watt tube amp and some pedals to go with it
The marshall name is like a fishhook the name being the bait and the people who buy them being the fish
Last edited by the-kid66 at Oct 22, 2007,
I would say that MGs are ok practice amps. But when it is sold as a 250 watt halfstack, it's not a practice amp anymore, it's a total ripoff.

Now I agree with muffinman, you should have used the search button, these forums would have probably half as many threads if everyone did.
Quote by Absolute!Abser

Because people who use them talk like this.

In all seriousness, they're just really overpriced, and I think they sound kinda empty and scratchy, and that was in a product demonstration done for gearwire by a Marshall employee.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I played a Park amp years ago before they became MG's. A friend of mine had one. Back then you couldn't give those things away. Name change and boom they become a best-seller. Go figure.
Anyway there is no hate directed against MG owners from most forumites. I have played worse amps. MG's really do sound substandard. I'm pretty good at amp tweaking (being a Peavey owner you'd better be) and like my solid state amps. I can't get a decent sound out of MG's to save me. I get tired of seeing younger players spending their hard-earned money and getting ripped off and stuck with these things for who knows how long. I'm never going to attack someone because they have an MG but if I can stop someone from buying one I will. When an MG owner posts and asks for help on settings I give the best advice I can and don't flame. People just do the best they can. If you want to get mad direct your anger to Marshall.
Quote by uldhppi
I played a Park amp years ago before they became MG's. A friend of mine had one. Back then you couldn't give those things away. Name change and boom they become a best-seller. Go figure.
Anyway there is no hate directed against MG owners from most forumites. I have played worse amps. MG's really do sound substandard. I'm pretty good at amp tweaking (being a Peavey owner you'd better be) and like my solid state amps. I can't get a decent sound out of MG's to save me. I get tired of seeing younger players spending their hard-earned money and getting ripped off and stuck with these things for who knows how long. I'm never going to attack someone because they have an MG but if I can stop someone from buying one I will. When an MG owner posts and asks for help on settings I give the best advice I can and don't flame. People just do the best they can. If you want to get mad direct your anger to Marshall.

What do you think of Parks btw? I use one in lessons all the time, and its really not that bad. My teachers Mesa Express smokes it though
Well the new ones may not sound much like the old ones, so I couldn't say. I did not care at all for the one I played, but this was back in the early 80's (?) They may be a whole different animal now. Who knows, they could very well be better than MG's at this point in time. I would assume they are made at the same factory as the MG's but the specs could be different. Didn't even know they still branded amps with the Park name anymore.
the thing with MG threads, u can't search "MG" on the search bar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It's a terrible sounding amp that is extremely overpriced, created and designed purely to cash out on the Marshall brand name. I'd say that's reason enough to hate it.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings