Hey guys. Over the summer I bought a HW1 HSS Strat. I love it, but the only thing is the pickups aren't the best, not terrible not good. Can anyone suggest some better ones. I play alternative and hard rock mainly
My Setup
Fender Stratocaster Highway One HSS
Marshall Lead 12 Combo 5005
^While I agree in this case I've grown tired of people being such dicks about such things.

Bridge: GFS Alnico PAF
Mid & Neck: GFS Grey Bottom Non-Stagger single coil

Those should work together reasonably well. The stronger neck and mid pickups (than standard single coils) should be able to handle the humbucker alright in terms of output, while also retaining 'strat tone' and delivering more punch for harder rock. For metal you'll probably stick to the bridge, but don't be afraid to try the neck. My favorite pickup for drop-D in my guitars is actually my Tele's neck single coil.

Anyway...

For amps I'd consider a Vox AD-series, Traynor or, Crate (RFX, Palomino, or V only)... Or check out what's available used in your area. I recently could've picked up a Laney for about $650 including the 4 X 12 cab... And I might've if I could've gotten a lead tone I liked out of the damn thing. It was just too fuzzy...
^ Just speaking from experience. You could get a $300 set of custom pickups and they'd still sound like garbage through a bad amp. That's the only reason I said that. People say "I should change my pickups" because it's cheaper than a good amp, but it's like throwing a band aid on a gaping wound.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 22, 2007,
Well, I know that about the amp first, it's just that I'm most likely going to save up for a Vox 2x12 AC30 and its like 1200 plus a distortion pedal. Any reasons I shouldn't choose that amp?
My Setup
Umm...one might be that you may not like it. AC30s have a very distinct sound. It's not for everyone. Other than that, there's no reason to not get it.
Hi, I'm Peter
I love the tone. I've played it at Sam Ash, it just needs a distortion/overdrive pedal. I'm probally gonna end up getting that amp with a Jekyll and Hyde pedal.
My Setup