So I'm going to buy a new Carvin guitar pretty soon here. However, I thought I'd poll you all and see what you think about bolt-on guitars vs. neck-through in terms of playability past the 14th fret or so.

I've been playing a Strat (mexican '01, got it new). I've noticed I have trouble picking up speed past a certain point in terms of lead, especially if I move up past the 15th fret or so. Part of this is the fact that the action is (annoyingly) a bit higher as I move up (can't lower without buzz problems).

I'm wondering if getting a neck-through guitar is going to help alleviate the other problem - the way the bolt-on is just in my darn wayI find it terribly uncomfortable to position my hand around it and play accurately at the same time. Is getting a neck-through going to alleviate or eliminate most of this problem?

I'd much prefer a neck-through for a variety of reasons, but it's more economical for me to buy a bolt-on (because I can buy the kit and assemble/stain myself). I'm not going to buy a bolt-on if it's going to still be as uncomfortable.

Thanks for your input!
I prefer neck-thourgh or a good set-neck to bolt-on. There are a few companies like Ibanez and ESP that have some decent neck joints (Ibanez especially), but you can't beat neck-through for upper fret access. I don't have a clue about Carvins, they may have better access than most guitars or they may not. I'd wait for somebody who owns one to come around and give you info.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I have an RGT Prestige and the neck thru is definately my favouite feature of the guitar. The neck thru is without a doubt the optimum neck joint option. I can get plenty of breathing room right up and around the 24th fret and it feels like there's barely any interruption at all. After playing it for a couple years it's tough to go back to bolt-ons that don't at least have an AANJ.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
godin has very nice neck joints, they sculpt the heel so it's thinner where the neck joint is. although they can be a little pricy. but i think you can get a freway classic for around 700
It doesn't matter whether it's bolt on or set in, it matter what kind of joint there is. Some guitars (like the strat) have a big block for the neck joint, and some don't.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Well if you are assembling a bolt on kit, warmoth will do a contoured neck joint that might help a bit. The downside is that a warmoth body will cost more than the Carvin. The Carvin neck should work just fine. If upper fret access is such a big deal for you, then don't get a standard bolt on.
Great, thanks. I'm of course going to try out a carvin neck-through before I order once I find somebody in my area on Craigslist.

Thanks again for the replies - that was fast! Any more input of course welcome.
And there are always a good number of 80's Carvins on ebay that are relatively inexpensive. And a lot of em have Kahler trems on em.
I heard Kahler trems are a pain to maintain as opposed to an OFR. But it's all up to preference I suppose.

And you're welcome, TS

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
It doesn't matter whether it's bolt on or set in, it matter what kind of joint there is. Some guitars (like the strat) have a big block for the neck joint, and some don't.

Very true.

For instance the Ibanez AANJ gives very good upper fret access despite it being a bolt on. Also the new Dean Rusty Cooley signature model is bolt on and it's supposed to have some seriously impressive upper fret access.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Some bolt-ons give surprisingly good upper fret access. Especially on cheaper brands: Epiphone in particular are notorious for their bolt-ons having no heel at all and letting you have full access to the upper frets, while their set and through-necks have huge heels that limit you to a huge degree. Vintage also have this same 'problem'.
I believe that you can order a contoured neck joint on that particular Carvin kit, but don't quote me.

I've always been a fan of bolt-on necks, but I service and rebuild my own guitars so there might be something there. It all depends on the design of the neck joint, be it bolt on or neck through or set neck. I've played set neck guitars with excellent upper fret access, but my favourite neck joint/fret access combo ever is on my BOLT ON Ibanez DT-120...so it depends. I say call Carvin, and see what they can do for you, they have outstanding customer service.
Personally, it doesn't matter to me. While neck thrus do have better access 9/10, a bolt on is fine for me. I can still reach all 24 frets on Jackson just fine. Its all abotu skill and technique.
I've played on bolt ons for the first 2 years of playing. Then when I did get a neck-through, I didn't notice much difference in the upper fret access.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
My bolt on MIJ Strat has excellent upper-fret access, but just looking at the huge neck joint you'd swear it was restricted. It has a lot to do with the contours of the fretboard and the cutaway. For some reason for me bolt-ons actually tend to have better playability and fret access than set necks. May be related just as much to my peculiar style.
I dont find too much problem getting to higher frets with a bolt on, there are certain low end brands that I don't like their neck construction but I'm asuming that the carvin is quite a highish end model so the neck joint will probably be quite good.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
I have a cheap superstrat copy and the neck joint is around the 17fret which make extremely comfortable to play lead.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
With bolt ons you can usually fret the upper strings fine high up the neck, but try reaching the 22th (or even 24th) fret on the low E string on a strat. For me at least, that's a stretch.
Quote by Kanthras
With bolt ons you can usually fret the upper strings fine high up the neck, but try reaching the 22th (or even 24th) fret on the low E string on a strat. For me at least, that's a stretch.

Yes, but it's not that much easier on a neck through design with a nicely sculpted heel. Also, why the hell would you need such a high fret on the low E.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes, but it's not that much easier on a neck through design with a nicely sculpted heel. Also, why the hell would you need such a high fret on the low E.

Plus, don't most strats have 21 frets anyway?
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
My RG1570 has a bolt-on neck, and I have no problems playing on the 24th fret (or any other fret for that matter).
I actually played an Ibanez JS-1000 not too long ago... it made me think twice about what I thought of bolt-on necks. But my Kramer has **** for fret access. I think I will end up selling it... The JS-1000 was much nicer anyways.

Wait a second.. I said I'd never look back a few posts ago... xD I'm a hypocrite, sue me.

Stupid name.

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci....bolt on necks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com