EDITED: I ended up getting an Alvarez AD90SCK.

Hi folks...not only am I a new member I am picking up my first guitar to start playing. I was looking at the Alvarez AD60SCBK. It is acoustic/electric and has the built in tuner. The reason I am looking at this is because my brother who recently started playing picked up this guitar but in a different finish/color and let me fool around with it and I liked it a lot.

Now I dont know much about Alvarez guitars at all. Are they good for a novice? I know something like Gibson is more high end but I was thiking to learn on this Alvarez would be ok?

Any advice?

Thanks!
JP
Last edited by First Spartan at Oct 24, 2007,
are u planning to plug in?
Quote by Connor6c
I sucked on my mom's nipples
Quote by opivtguk
are u planning to plug in?

Well I dont know for sure. Maybe at somepoint. I thought to have the option might be nice.
Best,

JP
DFW, TX
This would be an excellent guitar to learn on. And just so you know, imo, Alvarez acoustics sound better than Gibson acoustics in any price range. They are definitely way better in the lower price range (like this guitar), and I personally prefer higher end Alvarez guitars over higher end Gibsons any day. Alvarez is a great brand, and that guitar will be a great one for you to learn on!
Quote by jimtaka
This would be an excellent guitar to learn on. And just so you know, imo, Alvarez acoustics sound better than Gibson acoustics in any price range. They are definitely way better in the lower price range (like this guitar), and I personally prefer higher end Alvarez guitars over higher end Gibsons any day. Alvarez is a great brand, and that guitar will be a great one for you to learn on!

Thank you for the advice!

What 'extras' do I need? Strings? Picks, etc?
Best,

JP
DFW, TX
yeah you'll want some picks and an extra set of strings is always a good thing to have around. that guitar will have a built-in tuner so you don't need that. you might want to invest in a capo and a strap also. that's really pretty much it though. the main things are picks and a spare set of strings.
Looks like a fine choice there. Congratulations on deciding to learn to play. You might want to grab yourself an extra battery too. It probably takes a 9v.
^ I would still buy a tuner...in case you want something more than EADGBE at some point.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Deffinately replace the battery first thing. I've heard from a lot of people over at the Alvarez message board complaining about their onboard electronics not working, and the battery being at fault. Other than that, a hardshell case would be in order to store it in when not playing. It's easier to properly humidify the guitar in a case than it is out in the open. Slap a nice set of strings on it right away too if you don't know when the last time was they were changed out. Grab some extra picks, maybe a strap. If your going to be getting serious about all this, you might want to invest in a music stand as well, so you can place your sheet music/tabs/books on it while you play. I got one for $20, it's all chrome and is fully adjustable. Maybe a guitar stand, but that's more of an accessory, not a necessity if you have a case. Then there's care and feeding of the beast too. A couple of lint free cloths to wipe it down, some fretboard conditioner, and perhaps some guitar wax. All of this is readily available from a decent music store. Just a few things to keep in mind as you go along. You could probably walk out of the store with everything I've listed, apart from the case, for less than $50.
BTW, I own an Alvarez RD20SL and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's fabulous sounding, plays like a dream, and I got it for roughly $300. I'm sure you'll love yours as well. Have fun!
Quote by roamingbard13
^ I would still buy a tuner...in case you want something more than EADGBE at some point.

That Alvarez Systgem 600T MKII has an onboard chromatic tuner. So threadstarter... you don't need a tuner for this guitar regardless of what tuning you want to play in.
^ Whoa, fancy. Sorry.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^-- fancy shmancy indeed!

i know takamine and alvarez both have chromatic tuners on their latest preamps. not sure about other brands.
well I got it today but I got a different model. I got the Alvarez AD90SCK. The AD90 just 'fit' me better. I am happy I got it!
Best,

JP
DFW, TX
Last edited by First Spartan at Oct 23, 2007,
another great choice! i love that florentine cutaway. post pictures?
The alvarez guitars I have played sounded fantastic and played very nice. I just bought the Alvarez AD60K today and I can't wait to get it. hope you enjoy yours.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I had a question but I just started a new thread since it was a different topic:
Best,

JP
DFW, TX
Last edited by First Spartan at Oct 24, 2007,