Page 1 of 2
Theres been SOOOOOO many n00b threads where do i get a new bass how do i do this and that
nothing the search bar wont fix....

This is the page of all the unofficial things that ppl do and dont do
all the bass forum veterans should put in their 2 cents and opinions

Write something that you think fits in this thread that is commonly braught up by a n00b.
hopefully this might get stickied or something.
i'll Start

for buying new equipment, what should i get for this type of music, what is a good starter bass, whats a good amp, ect ect
use the search bar you WILL find you answer

everyone that is starting out in bass
good beginer basses are:
squires, ibanes 200 series, yamaha

keep adding basses and amps (cabs, combos, & heads) of different calibur, ill try to catagorize them as best i can

dont boast your skillz, done say your better than someone else, dont judge ppl buy the way they play...if they use a pick they may still smoke you....but that doesn't matter because music is NOT a competition, and if you think it is state your case, and you will soon be corrected

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Last edited by Narcotics at Oct 23, 2007,
great idea. the noobs need answers, but tend to ask a new question, rather than look up an old thread. we should have a *sticky* for all the frequently asked questions. and we need more new threads, created by the regulars. thanks Narco, for getting the ball rolling again.
awesome idea man i have myself annoyed the bass forum for rig info lol but the constant asking of which bass should i get is really quite annoying
I am me. Live with it.
Don't ask about Epiphone T-birds or how a Big Muff sounds on bass or how to get Mark Hoppus' tone
Great thread idea, I wonder how many people have posted a thread involving something like this:

"hey l0lz i have a squire bass with 4 strings and a behringer amp (it's amazing) how do i get flea from RHCP's tone?"

Answer: Keep the bass and low mids flat, cut the high mids and give a nice treble boost. Also, most people will agree with me in saying that a behringer "180 watt" combo and a squier bass aren't the best equipment choices while trying to get flea's tone, considering he uses modulus and musicman basses and GK stacks.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
great idea. the noobs need answers, but tend to ask a new question, rather than look up an old thread. we should have a *sticky* for all the frequently asked questions. and we need more new threads, created by the regulars. thanks Narco, for getting the ball rolling again.

Me and Chris (Nutter_101) are currently writing up an FAQ covering basic stuff through equipment, technique all the way to how to take care of your bass.
everyday theres a thread about running a bass through a guitar amp.

You really need a bass amp for a bass (and i know! i exploded my 10w squier amp ) You might just get away with it on low volumes, but i wouldnt risk it to be honest.

(or is this thread mainly about tone/equiptment relationships?)
This isn't about bass or anything, but come to me with half decent spelling and grammar. Use periods maybe even a comma or two. And, I will flame you if you spell "you" like u or "what" like wut or "because" like cuz. Just be prepared.
Im not sure if Im considered a vet or not, but how about something that describes what all effects do, in what situation they should be used, etc. They are a little less frequent, but there is a good bit of threads on what effect should I get.

But if you think about it, if we put a stop to the n00b threads, we will have about 90 stickies and about 5 threads a week along with all the insanely popular threads.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This isn't about bass or anything, but come to me with half decent spelling and grammar. Use periods maybe even a comma or two. And, I will flame you if you spell "you" like u or "what" like wut or "because" like cuz. Just be prepared.

Also, for the love of god, stop reviving the "you know you're a bassist when.." thread.
Let it die with a little ounce of dignity.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I am all for the FAQ that Chris and Ben are compiling. At least if it gets stickied, we can start pointing people to a one stop shopping area for general info.

As you all probably well know, the one that just gets me is the "what bass should I buy?", especially when no amount of research has been done or the person obviously has not even made a click towards using the search function. The only solace is my fiver fund, which allows me to put away 5 USD every time someone asks the question. I'm up to 50 USD for a new bass btw. Urge II, here I come! (Or at least a really nice delay pedal by January, if the current rate of this type of question continues...)

The increasing threads on "give me a good funk song and then lets argue whether RHCP can be considered funk" are getting tiresome as of late. There's been quite a few threads on this topic; again the search button is right there on top, folks.

And I was glad to see the latest pick vs fingers thread closed so quickly. These need to end; they are counterproductive and always end in flame wars.

Finally , I would love to see a bit more sentence structure and adherence to a basic level of spelling rules. It makes it easier to read your posts and yes, it makes you sound more intelligent.

And Gal is right, the "You know you're a bassist.." needs to die. It's had a good run folks, but its deserving of a retirement. There's nothing left to say that wasn't said by page 59...
Quote by anarkee
As you all probably well know, the one that just gets me is the "what bass should I buy?", especially when no amount of research has been done or the person obviously has not even made a click towards using the search function.

lol they don't usually plan on buying one for months anyway
idea!

when its all done, the faq that ben and chris are making should have a link to this page and this page should have a link to that one

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Toottally spammming wit dis post cuz i coolio lick that but im a noobz whose has to be on enternet cuz my g-friend has no boobiez AHHH BOOBY SEXSSSS! (The noob report, check it out on youtube, or search for Flobee and the one that has a title something like that because it is f-ing hilarious.)

I say that if you've known a member for more than 10 minutes his sister is off limits unless you plan on marrying her. That's just common sense. Save for Bens sister, she's all over the place. I think we should post up some of the major modes and scales too, that would be a good thing to add to the Faq's thing Ben and Chris are doing. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by anarkee
And Gal is right, the "You know you're a bassist.." needs to die. It's had a good run folks, but its deserving of a retirement. There's nothing left to say that wasn't said by page 59...

You bring up a lot of good points, but I think this thread needs to stay open due to the pure epicness of it

Anyway, I'd love to see people start learning some grammar, usage, and mechanics. It shouldn't do anything but help people sound more intelligent, and it'll help sort the vets from the n00bs. The whole "join date" thing is very misleading though, because there are lots of knowledgable people out there that have joined recently, but many of the "vets" out there can be total idiots *not naming anyone.* I think using this in an argument is totally invalid, and therefore should be stopped.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Narcotics
idea!

when its all done, the faq that ben and chris are making should have a link to this page and this page should have a link to that one

Uh, what? What would that accomplish?
Quote by Your41Plague12
You bring up a lot of good points, but I think this thread needs to stay open due to the pure epicness of it

there is a forum just for the greatest threads ever it can be epic there

Quote by Your41Plague12

Anyway, I'd love to see people start learning some grammar, usage, and mechanics. It shouldn't do anything but help people sound more intelligent, and it'll help sort the vets from the n00bs. The whole "join date" thing is very misleading though, because there are lots of knowledgable people out there that have joined recently, but many of the "vets" out there can be total idiots *not naming anyone.* I think using this in an argument is totally invalid, and therefore should be stopped.

yes, yes and more yes

Quote by Narcotics

We probably won't do that, as linking to a thread will make everything less compact and more cluttered. I'm sure we will lift ideas from here to put in.

Quote by FbSa
Save for Bens sister, she's all over the place. I think we should post up some of the major modes and scales too

Yeah, I'm sure we'll put that in som....

Wait a sec...

Ben has a sister? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED!!?!?!?

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
And yet... You have deplorable grammar and spelling.

what is wrong with yes, yes and more yes?

ill admit i do have some pretty bad spelling and grammar for the most part, because I really don't care, but if it really bugs you that much i can not do it, it just takes a slight effort

Last edited by Narcotics at Oct 23, 2007,
Deplorable from the dictionary of Zach Bales: Bad; contemptible.

From Merriam-Websters: deserving censure or contempt

Various web definitions: bad; unfortunate;of very poor quality or condition;condemnable: bringing or deserving severe rebuke or censure.

It's just common courtesy.
Also dont get on the wrong side of the bass chat wh0res.

We shall rain down pirate hell on you otherwise... then get you banned.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
If you read this thread for ideas that matter, skip over this one.

Yeah but proper English sucks, only elitest snobs who have impeccable (I suck at spelling too) sentences and use really long and weird phrases use proper English.

Intwined in this enigma of sententual correctness, we find ourselves on this field of casualties. Where the great, form battle lines to charge at the ragged dalipadated enemy of poor grammer. Oh! How I detest the scum that fills this swirling sespool of improper grammer. How I loathe the purge of human scum that uses I before e without a c. Or when the ignorant loquacious person say ain't, or ya'll. How I betroth the idea of proper English. But alas there are not enough obsequios people on this planet to engage my idea with general relish. So I throw down the chains of English oppresion. And defend the right for the scoundrals to speak however they want to.

Plus it's a lot easyier to type with bad grammer, I just detest acronyms with a passion that burns with the intesnisty of cosmic radiation. electromagnetic radiations for the most part, that have high Frequencies and low wavelenghts so that they still fall on the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. Hmm, I got way off subject there. I'm going to put a diclaimer at the top.
Rule #1
There are no rules.
Rule #2
No shoes on the sofa.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by FbSa
Yeah but proper English sucks, only elitest snobs who have impeccable (I suck at spelling too) sentences and use really long and weird phrases use proper English.

Intwined in this enigma of sententual correctness, we find ourselves on this field of casualties. Where the great, form battle lines to charge at the ragged dalipadated enemy of poor grammer. Oh! How I detest the scum that fills this swirling sespool of improper grammer. How I loathe the purge of human scum that uses I before e without a c. Or when the ignorant loquacious person say ain't, or ya'll. How I betroth the idea of proper English. But alas there are not enough obsequios people on this planet to engage my idea with general relish. So I throw down the chains of English oppresion. And defend the right for the scoundrals to speak however they want to.

Plus it's a lot easyier to type with bad grammer, I just detest acronyms with a passion that burns with the intesnisty of cosmic radiation. electromagnetic radiations for the most part, that have high Frequencies and low wavelenghts so that they still fall on the electromagnetic radiation spectrum. Hmm, I got way off subject there. I'm going to put a diclaimer at the top.

Orlando, have you been testing Ben's absinthe recipe again?,
Quote by FbSa
If you read this thread for ideas that matter, skip over this one.

i must admit.....

1) Please do not create a thread comparing ERB's to 4 and 5 stringers. EX: "Wow look this bass has a lot of strings?!" or "Real men play four strings." These topics just need to stop, they are pointless and they just end up in flame wars.

2) Stop making threads almost solely on the topic of what genre Flea's bass playing fits in to (I don't care if the thread started on the topic of RHCP) just don't take it in that direction. The end result will never be productive or informative, and you will muster the fanboy militia.

3) Discontinue all threads (or mention if possible) regarding Pete Wentz or his "bass skillz." We all have different opinions of him as a bassist (some positive, the vast majority negative) and all that will be created by a thread of this sort is a massive flame-war. Avoid this topic like the plague.

4) Once and for all, do not post threads with titles such as: "Who is the Best Bassist?" or "Pick VS. Fingers" or even "(insert bassist name) is liek teh best BASSIST evur!!!1!!11" / "(insert bassist name here) is liek the SuCkZoRs!!!111!!"
Just please stop with these threads, they are vastly counterproductive and will only serve to infuriate existing forum members.

Thats all I can think of for now but there are many more.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I'll just speak for fitzy.

Rule #x: Try looking around for distortion pedals other than the big muff.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
1# 90% of the threads shouldn't be done at all, a good search can fix that.
2# I'm sick and tired of the "Pick vs. Fingers", "Random bass vs. random bass that doesn't have anything to do with the first" and "Random bassist vs. random bassist that doesn't have anything to do with the first."
3# Even though I am not a fan of proper proper english, I wish people made an effort into making understandable sentences. Hell, I'm mexican! I can do it
4# I hate it when people come into the bass forum, ask an ambiguous question and when we ask for more information to help, they just vanish.
Quote by Funkbass796
I'll just speak for fitzy.

Rule #x: DO NOT USE BIG MUFF!!! IT IS NOT FOR BASS I DO NOT CARE IF CLIFF BURTON USED ONE THEY ARE NOT FOR BASS!!!.

i think is more on the beat lmfao

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Me and Chris (Nutter_101) are currently writing up an FAQ covering basic stuff through equipment, technique all the way to how to take care of your bass.

*cheers*
You do relize that all these rules have probably been broken already right? I mean I havent really read through the titles yet, but id bet theres at least a which bass...

EDIT: I just thought of a rule for everyone. Please stop recommending Fenders. It doesnt matter what someone who asks 'Which bass' says, is usually ends up being 'Get a Fender Jazz/P bass'. We are all aware that Fenders are good.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Oct 24, 2007,
Quote by silentdob
EDIT: I just thought of a rule for everyone. Please stop recommending Fenders. It doesnt matter what someone who asks 'Which bass' says, is usually ends up being 'Get a Fender Jazz/P bass'. We are all aware that Fenders are good.

Obviously they aren't all aware that they're good if they keep asking, are they?

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Bass Forum Rules
Rule 1: Do not talk about the bass forum.
Rule 2: See rule 1

Project Bass Rules:
Rule 1: Do not ask any questions
Rule 2: If anyone interferes with Project Bass, we have to get his balls.

Just watched fight club

But seriously, enough PICKS OR FINGERS threads. The WHAT SHOULD I GET THREADS are somewhat valid as it will differ for everyone. But PICKS OR FINGERS ends up the same way.
Oh here's another one, not really a rule more of a suggestion. If you ever want to become known, change your avatar from the generic RAGE or NIRVANA ones. There's hordes of regulars out there but who do you remember? You remember Delirium's Dr.Phil and Anarkee's... flavour of the month, and Wathingmefall's random guy who I have no idea who he is.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Oh here's another one, not really a rule more of a suggestion. If you ever want to become known, change your avatar from the generic RAGE or NIRVANA ones. There's hordes of regulars out there but who do you remember? You remember Delirium's Dr.Phil and Anarkee's... flavour of the month, and Wathingmefall's random guy who I have no idea who he is.

I used to have some digimon, then I changed it to Mikey Way!!!! You know, the bassist for MCR. That's the random guy. But I think you can recognize me better because of the blue font, I think.
Page 1 of 2