I want to get a new mp3 player.

what should i go with? 30GB Zune (Microsoft)...

...or an 80GB ipod (apple)?

P.S. I would only be ripping music from my CD collection, not buying off the net.
a 30gb Zen (creative) ... actually the new 80GB Ipod classic is a bit cheaper than the Zen right now.. so that might be the better choice, but I'm a strong believer in the Zen being better than an Ipod, just from my experience anyway.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
a 30gb Zen (creative) ... actually the new 80GB Ipod classic is a bit cheaper than the Zen right now.. so that might be the better choice, but I'm a strong believer in the Zen being better than an Ipod, just from my experience anyway.

I agree.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
30 gigs is more than you'll ever need, I don't know what Apple was thinking when they made the 160 GB Ipod.

Seriously, that's a home computer right there, no one has that much music
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Get the Zen Vision : M ! Link
Where's that confounded bridge?

Try to realize it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you.
I was surprised for a second of the Zen support here... but then I remembered The Pit is where I asked 10 months ago what mp3 player I should get and thats why I got a Zen.

30GB IS quite a bit. I'm just filling it now at about 4000 songs... but I have a bunch of music i could probably get rid of... doubles and such and stuff I barley listen to.. but if you want mostly music 30GB is plenty. if you definitely want video's then go for more.
whats the difference between a zen and an ipod?

i mean, you can get an 80gb iPod for $250, and a 30gb Zen for the same price..
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
i'm happy with my zen vision : M. I'd recommend it.
Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.
I think 80 gigs would suffice for me. That would fit 2x my current media collection, and I'm 15, soo....Yeah, it's a good amount.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
i just got an ipod touch. yeah it doesn't hold 50million songs. but i like the fact that it has wifi on it and i can check my email/play games and use all the online iphone apps.
isnt there another thread just like this in the pit?
oh and go with the zen.
Quote by gokorn1
i just got an ipod touch. yeah it doesn't hold 50million songs. but i like the fact that it has wifi on it and i can check my email/play games and use all the online iphone apps.

Honestly I really don't like the lack of size options on the Touch. Yes it looks nice and all, but 16gb is hardly enough room. Add that to the fact that it's $400 when you can get 5 times as much memory for nearly half the price and the Touch just doesn't look so great.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by musicianamedave
Honestly I really don't like the lack of size options on the Touch. Yes it looks nice and all, but 16gb is hardly enough room.

Why not? I've had a 1GB MP3 player for over a year and I'm not planning on changing it anytime soon.

There's never going to be 16GB of songs that you want to listen to on that day. In fact, I doubt there's 16GB of songs that you really like. Sure, you may tolerate them, but they won't be your favourite songs. I'd say 1-2GB of the selection will be songs you actually really love.

So, why pack your MP3 player with a ass-load of songs you'll probably skip when you can just continually load it up with a selection of songs that you love?

That's what I do, anyway. It doesn't kill me to swap my music every few weeks.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Why not? I've had a 1GB MP3 player for over a year and I'm not planning on changing it anytime soon.

There's never going to be 16GB of songs that you want to listen to on that day. In fact, I doubt there's 16GB of songs that you really like. Sure, you may tolerate them, but they won't be your favourite songs. I'd say 1-2GB of the selection will be songs you actually really love.

So, why pack your MP3 player with a ass-load of songs you'll probably skip when you can just continually load it up with a selection of songs that you love?

That's what I do, anyway. It doesn't kill me to swap my music every few weeks.

Well aside from the fact that I don't want to have to continually swap out songs on my iPod when I have a craving to listen to something different, I actually do make sure that all of the music I have on my iPod are songs that I enjoy. Sure I like some songs better than others, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to skip the ones I don't like as much just to get to my favorites.

Edit: Most of the time I just like to put my iPod on shuffle mode and go with it, and I know there's a lot of music I would miss if I had to cut my collection in half.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~