i dont have much experience playing either but i wanted to make a semi hollow (Gibson ES style but different shape)

im debating between a 27-28" baritone and a 25" 7 string

any suggestions?
what tuning are you aiming for and what kind of bridge are you planning on?
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
i say baritone, 7 string is friggin rediculous..... unless you go for the 30" scale 9 string guitar tuned to C#, thats a mans instrument
For Semi-Hollows?

It's a bit unconventional to have a seven string hollow body, isn't it?
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by Alex The Red
For Semi-Hollows?

It's a bit unconventional to have a seven string hollow body, isn't it?

Given that the modern 7 string guitar was a product of the Jazz genre. I would say no, it really isn't that unconventional.

As for building a hollow body guitar, i would opt for the 7 string.
I would say a mild baritone 7 string. Its a little hard to find nice gauges for 7 strings especially for the low B string so the extra length helps keep the tension.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
both, i heard that having a longer scale on a 7 is better becuase of tension or something, correct me if im wrong.
but great idea on the 7 string hollowbody
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Baritone, I say.

Although I'd definitely suggest playing both for a reasonable amount of time before making one, obviously. I got myself a seven string and I ended up really not liking it, even though I thought I would. It would be a shame to spend so long making it and find it isn't for you.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Oct 23, 2007,
Go for 30", and make some kind of Fender VI.

But I would go for the 7 string, personally.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
the 7 string semi hollow idea was something i kind of stole from jazz style guitars, however jazz guitars sometimes have a shorter scale to make complex chords easier and also use super huge string gauges. i think i could make a really versatile guitar with the right pickup choices. its all in the idea stages right now
I'd go with a long scale 7 string. Something like a 26" just to make it so you can tune a little lower than a normal 7 string when you feel the need, but choosing between the options you gave us, I'd go with the baritone.
Not taking any online orders.