im not really sure if this is where to post this or if its already been posted i did a search but couldnt find anything

plus ive been awake the past 34 hours and cant sleep untill 9 pm tomrrow (its midnight here)

but im looking at getting a new guitar and i really like the B.C. Rich mockingbird but my friend bought a BC warlock and within two months it actualy fell apart.

i know slash plays a mockingbird but everyone i asked said that BC rich's were POS.

Buy or pass?
Quote by 6nikki-nine9
im not really sure if this is where to post this or if its already been posted i did a search but couldnt find anything

plus ive been awake the past 34 hours and cant sleep untill 9 pm tomrrow (its midnight here)

but im looking at getting a new guitar and i really like the B.C. Rich mockingbird but my friend bought a BC warlock and within two months it actualy fell apart.

i know slash plays a mockingbird but everyone i asked said that BC rich's were POS.

Buy or pass?

The serie is the key with BC Rich: for instance, Bronze has the tendency to be a piece of crap, whilst some of the higher end models are very nice from what I've heard.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The serie is the key with BC Rich: for instance, Bronze has the tendency to be a piece of crap, whilst some of the higher end models are very nice from what I've heard.

Yes, I think I read somewhere in this forum that BC Rich low end guitars are straight up crap, but the higher end ones are decent. However, you can get a much better guitar for the price you would pay for the higher end BC Rich.
Once you go FLAC, you never go back.
Quote by Curfue
Yes, I think I read somewhere in this forum that BC Rich low end guitars are straight up crap, but the higher end ones are decent. However, you can get a much better guitar for the price you would pay for the higher end BC Rich.

thats before about mid 2006. At about end 2006 and the whole 2007 range is excellent value for money
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I know someone who bought a bc rich mockingbird bronze at collage and it plays **** the bridge just gets in the way and I really hate the feel of it so I'd say stay away from the bronze series at least.
I know someone with a warlock m7 the mick thompson sig and from what i remember it was pretty good but I played it years ago, when I was just starting out and was comparing it to my squire so.....
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at Oct 23, 2007,
honestly say what you will, yea they improved the line, but its pretty easy to improve a pile or **** if ya know what im saying, theyre better, but anything thats not a custom isnt worth the time or the money and for the price you can get much better custom shop insturments i.e. ESP, Ibanez, Gibson.
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I think about the 500/600 pounds range (bout 800 dollars US I think) you get some pretty good stuff on a B.C rich, I've never actually used em so I cant comment but the spec looks nice, like the Original Floyd rose ,,,, I've nothing against the LFR's but an original cnt be beaten at that price now can it? :p

(correct me if am wrong about pricing lol)
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
^ I think the exchange rate is about a £1 = $2
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
they use original floyds on imports interesting, too bad they use crappy tone woods and wiring techniques if theyd fix that id be impressed
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by DagMX
thats before about mid 2006. At about end 2006 and the whole 2007 range is excellent value for money

Ahem. THIS MAN SPEAKS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH! For the money, I find that the newer BCs are right up there with the best.
i have a b.c rich beast platnium pro and it is pretty good, it cost about $800 australian but is usually around $1200 (i think). the bridge is fairly **** tho, it broke as in some of the metal chipped off, and it often goes out of tune easily if i use the whammy. and it is also unbelievably uncomfortable to play sitting down (I often bruise, but i soldier on).
the pick-ups are good tho as well as the neck, i played a schecter( i dont know how to spell it) worth around the same and with cheap pick-ups as well but got a horrible amount of buzz from it, no such complaints from the b.c rich

hope that helps
Quote by SpartanTHC
Are the metal master warlocks bronze series?

They're just Bronze series Warlocks with some cosmetic touch ups. Unless you have your heart set on this model, avoid it.
Quote by SpartanTHC
I already have it lol. Thats why i thort about getting a new one.

Ah, I understand your question now; so, yes, the Metal Masters are Bronze series.
Yeah i thought so, but i don't see why they are so bad, im not having any problems with mine. I still would prefer a better one though lol.
Quote by SpartanTHC
Yeah i thought so, but i don't see why they are so bad, im not having any problems with mine. I still would prefer a better one though lol.

Well the wood these things are made of isn't something to write home about, the pickups aren't very nice, the general quality of the hardware seems to be quite low and the quality control on these things is quite lacking.

This doesn't mean they're all lemons though and the most important thing is that you like it and that it doesn't break too easily.
i had a BC Rich plat warlock, it was ok, bit uncomfortable to play, neck wasnt anything special but it was more playable than the aria super strat i had before it, the headstock chipped way too easy, it sounded like complete **** recorded i had to use a wah pedal to boost the signal so i could get decent recordings.

The ibanez S series i have now blows it away you can get way better for your money.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by sajuuk
I think about the 500/600 pounds range (bout 800 dollars US I think) you get some pretty good stuff on a B.C rich, I've never actually used em so I cant comment but the spec looks nice, like the Original Floyd rose ,,,, I've nothing against the LFR's but an original cnt be beaten at that price now can it? :p

(correct me if am wrong about pricing lol)

you actually start hitting good specs at about $550 now days on some of their guitars.

Also to most of the above comments, the value for money thing has improved quite a bit and things have generally improved over the last year.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
tons of these threads and everyone always moans about the wood. nato is a good tonewood, it then just depends if it's the sound you want, a little brighter than mahogany, heavier, more sustain. i would still consider it dark sounding.

whoever said the pups are crap, i would say rockfield pups are definitely amongst the best stock pups you're likely to get your hands on and easily as good as some of the more well known brands like dimarzio, seymour duncan etc. it just depends what sound you're after but they do have decent all-round pups (obviously most of them are metal orientated)

Also referring back to the nato wood. Surprisingly few people have actually played through the nato bc rich's. as i've said in almost all of these bc rich threads, i thought the nato was excellent and preferred it to mahogany.

the general rule is, avoid the agathis models and your set

mid priced bc rich are excellent quality, the custom guitars are overpriced probably (i've never played one but i got a quote of £1300ish when i asked) but they are probably a lot better value for money than any gibson in the same price range. the high end bc riches are also easily as good.

they had a bad patch apparently, although i;ve never had an older bc rich to compare, but going by the NJ mockingbird and my friends calibre warlock (both made from nato) they seem to be very good
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Oct 23, 2007,
B.C. Rich have a reputation of being overpriced crap. But I have never played one so there you go.
Depends on the models.

To me, £420 for a guitar with an original floyd rose, ebony fretboard, string thru maple neck and nato body is value for money.

On the other hand, even though I like Dean, £700 for a guitar with a licensed floyd rose and set-neck isn't, if you know what I mean, overpriced stuff like.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion
i cant really advise on the higher end models but ma pal has a bronse series warlock, and to say the least its crap, he has so many peices chipped off it and hasnt even hit it hard at all. this is the only BC iv tried but if thats wot all the bronse series r like then stay the hell away lol
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
well ive seen slash play a mockingbird on stage, but he could of just took everything off and costomized it how he likes it. and i dont want to spend the money buying a **** guitar and spending even more money fixing it. and its not like i can ask the guys at the guitar center here, they say everything is "hendrix worthy" meh, i already have a couple guitars and i was just looking for a new one, that wasnt a pos, i already got one of those, so ill look around for one that isnt bronze series that also isnt 1200. Thanks guys
Quote by 6nikki-nine9
well ive seen slash play a mockingbird on stage, but he could of just took everything off and costomized it how he likes it. and i dont want to spend the money buying a **** guitar and spending even more money fixing it. and its not like i can ask the guys at the guitar center here, they say everything is "hendrix worthy" meh, i already have a couple guitars and i was just looking for a new one, that wasnt a pos, i already got one of those, so ill look around for one that isnt bronze series that also isnt 1200. Thanks guys

The key to not buying crap is trying them out and inspecting them very carefully before handing over the cash.
I have a Warbeast HOLY CRAP dude it's awsome like $200 great guitar
That's some handsome meat.
has anyone had experience with mockingbird masterpieces? thinking of getting one and would like info how it sounds etc.
it's pretty, but it's made from agathis, so it's probably not that great. i think it's a disgrace myself grade AAA quilted maple veneer on agathis *shudders*

very pretty but you should save some more. check out the mockingbird special and special X, as well as the NJ, exotic classic and ST

all of them except the evil edge and masterpiece really
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yeah, the bronze do feel a little... *ahem*, but once you get past that, it's pretty good. If I can brave myself for more troubles with Floyds, I'm definitely keen on getting the new Slash sig Mockingbird - £350 for that lot from thomann is pretty sweet.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
i take it your talking about the ST its not a slash sig its just based on his custom BC Rich he got in the 80s when he was low on cash, Slash is signed to gibson, ive played the new BC Richs and honestly the construction and wiring still come to queston your paying $700 for a gutiar that will most likely need repaired in 3 months i cant justify that, when you could get a schecter or ibanez for the same price that will be completely loaded with great pickups and will hold up over time
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
ok well, today i went out to guitar center and bought the Mockingbird Special. so far it is alot better than i thought it would be, its very sturdy and well constructed, deffinatly doesnt look like its falling apart anytime soon, and it was only 379$ its a hell of a lot nicer than my friends and sounds quite nice, there isnt a floating tremalo which is kinda dissapointing but all in all, its a nice piece of a$s if i do say so myself
The B.C. Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird and Bich are nice... that's about it for good B.C. Rich guitars. B.C. Rich (the man) must be hating himself for selling his name to be made such a mockery of with the absolute ****e this company puts out.

Oh, off topic a litte, the B.C. Rich Stealth that Chuck Shuldiner exclusively played was pimp!
Not sure whether to get a Rich next or a Gibson V - the gibson's a bit outta my price atm, so I reckon the rich - thinking either a Warlock, mockingbird or jr. V (the IT warlock & V seem to kick ass, so Definitely interested)
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Special is definately a nice guitar.

And it is worth every penny (cent) you payed.

Enjoy.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.