Poll: Which mp3 player should i get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which mp3 player should i get?
80Gb iPod ($250)
42 72%
30Gb Zune ($200)
6 10%
30Gb Zen ($250)
10 17%
Voters: 58.
which mp3 is the best?

im looking at the iPod, Zune, and the Zen.

right now i have a 4gb ipod, but it isnt enough for me.
i already have 10gb of music on my computer, and even more of video.

im worried that the zune or zen wont give me enough space with only 30 gb.

but i know that iPods are known to break pretty easily.
and i also dont want to spend too much money on it.

help me out
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
ipods are prone to break easy if you beat the hell out of them. take care of the thing, and it'll take care of you. i have a 60gb ipod, still works perfect.

plus, the zune freaking sucks. it's a waste of time and money. i'd go with a creative zen before i would a zune - but at the same price, you might as well more-than-double your capacity.

oh, the new ipods also have scratch-resistant fronts. the backs still scratch easy, so i'd still purchase a case though.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
ipod.

there only know to break because there are so many out there.

it would be the same with other brands.
I only have a 2gb nano

So I really want that 80gb

So yeah iPod FTW!
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i have a 30g ipod the video one and ive dropped mine about 15 times and it works just fine and there isnt any dents or scratches, i thought that the 30gs wasnt going to be enough for me but i only have about 15 with 1300 songs, 7 movies, and 2 games i bought, its kinda pricey but worth it in my book
well if eveyrone else agrees with Ipod fine but I have to put in my say. A year ago I spent over 450 bucks on a new ipod video +case. I had the year long apple warranty. four months after buying it the inside screen (as in the LCD, the outer screen was perfectly fine) was completely ****ed out of nowhere. it had somehow burnt through the inside while sitting in my room. I called apple and even though screens are apparently included int he warranty, the LCD was "too expensive" for them to repair. they recommended I buy an entirely new ipod for another 400 dollars because that's how much it would cost me to repair mine, which I have to do myself apparently. so for me. **** ipod up it's ****ing ass for the rest of time.
Quote by imnotastoner
which mp3 is the best?

im looking at the iPod, Zune, and the Zen.

right now i have a 4gb ipod, but it isnt enough for me.
i already have 10gb of music on my computer, and even more of video.

im worried that the zune or zen wont give me enough space with only 30 gb.

but i know that iPods are known to break pretty easily.
and i also dont want to spend too much money on it.

help me out

Depends on what you want to use the player for. Exercising? Watching movies and such?

For exercising I would go for the iPod since it has the flash memory and will tend to be better if you're going to be moving.

For anything other than that, Creative Zen is a better product in my opinion. Not much converting to do for videos (Supports DivX, AVI ,XVID, and MPEG)

FM/AC radio and microphone built-in!
Once you go FLAC, you never go back.
Quote by soadguitarfan
well if eveyrone else agrees with Ipod fine but I have to put in my say. A year ago I spent over 450 bucks on a new ipod video +case. I had the year long apple warranty. four months after buying it the inside screen (as in the LCD, the outer screen was perfectly fine) was completely ****ed out of nowhere. it had somehow burnt through the inside while sitting in my room. I called apple and even though screens are apparently included int he warranty, the LCD was "too expensive" for them to repair. they recommended I buy an entirely new ipod for another 400 dollars because that's how much it would cost me to repair mine, which I have to do myself apparently. so for me. **** ipod up it's ****ing ass for the rest of time.

dude, you must have gotten the only person on apple's staff that sucks at customer service. i dropped mine on the ground once (broke the hard drive and dented it all to hell) and they replaced it on the spot, no questions asked. you should always go to the store anyway, those people are trained to have exceptional customer service. phone guys... not so much.

and if he told you that you'd have to replace the screen, he has no clue what he's talking about.
1. the ipod has no user serviceable parts, meaning it will VOID your warranty to open it's case and tinker around.
2. the ipod has no easy way of opening. notice, no screw holes. you have to jab something as hard as a screwdriver but as thin as a sheet of paper between the edges and pry it open.
3. even if you were to get in the case, the screen is the hardest thing in there to replace. i've seen people change out their batteries and hard drives, but the screen is never screwed with.

you had one bad experience. if i were you, i'd take it up to an apple store and tell them exactly what happened. hell, they'll probably give you a brand new classic, if you can find the original receipt and the date of purchase is around a year ago or less.
gear?

Quote by Curfue
For exercising I would go for the iPod since it has the flash memory and will tend to be better if you're going to be moving.

the ipod classic doesn't have flash memory. it has a hard drive, whereas the rest are all flash.

i actually bought a shuffle just for exercising. it was only 80 bucks. and i forget i even have it on. it's great.
gear?

zen have good audio quality unlike the ipod. But your getting more for your money with ipod.. hard decision
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Quote by DougC84
dude, you must have gotten the only person on apple's staff that sucks at customer service. i dropped mine on the ground once (broke the hard drive and dented it all to hell) and they replaced it on the spot, no questions asked. you should always go to the store anyway, those people are trained to have exceptional customer service. phone guys... not so much.

and if he told you that you'd have to replace the screen, he has no clue what he's talking about.
1. the ipod has no user serviceable parts, meaning it will VOID your warranty to open it's case and tinker around.
2. the ipod has no easy way of opening. notice, no screw holes. you have to jab something as hard as a screwdriver but as thin as a sheet of paper between the edges and pry it open.
3. even if you were to get in the case, the screen is the hardest thing in there to replace. i've seen people change out their batteries and hard drives, but the screen is never screwed with.

you had one bad experience. if i were you, i'd take it up to an apple store and tell them exactly what happened. hell, they'll probably give you a brand new classic, if you can find the original receipt and the date of purchase is around a year ago or less.

i appreciate it man, but it'd b etoo late now, it's been a year and a few months. and more than that, I respect and belive what your saying but lets not pretend I'm the only guy who has a problem with ipods. I have countless friend's who have had countless problems with ipods and most things associated with itunes + apple company. there's been countless articles about the shabby service or quality for ipods. so, the conclude, I do believe you and I probably did get ****ty service, but I'm really not personally comfortable with their quality or service anymore, for more reason than my own personal experience. problem is, I have no mp3 player at all right now and ipod does seem sensible when I go shopping but...**** man, 450 bucks down the drain? that's hard to walk off, if you know what I mean.
i have 7 full movies and 4000 songs on my 30GB (its actually 27.9) iPod. it's like 1GB short of full.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by sictree
zen have good audio quality unlike the ipod. But your getting more for your money with ipod.. hard decision

You must not have listened to an iPod in quite some time. They released a firmware update some time ago that dramatically increased the sound quality. My roommate (computer programmer who works for IBM) stated a similar dissatisfaction with the iPod sound quality, but hadn't listened to one since the model I have (5th generation 60gb iPod video) was released. I told him he should give it a listen again.

He's been looking at the new Zune 2.0 (which, by the way, has GREAT sound quality), and said that with the firmware update the iPod sounds just as good as the Zune.

So when you get down to it it all depends on what all you plan on putting on your MP3 player. Right now I've got about 9000 songs on my iPod that take up around 45gb, with another 10 or so gb of video. If you've got a large music collection, or want to put a whole lot of videos on your player then I'd suggest the 80gb iPod, since it's 50 extra gigs for only $50. But if you've got a medium-small music collection and don't want that many videos then I'd say go for the Zune, it's cheaper plus it still sounds and looks great.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
^is the 30GB iPod video after the firmware update you're talking about? i don't think it's sound quality is bad, but if i can get better, i wanna know.

it depends 90% on the headphones/speakers though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^is the 30GB iPod video after the firmware update you're talking about? i don't think it's sound quality is bad, but if i can get better, i wanna know.

it depends 90% on the headphones/speakers though.

If your iPod has the 1.2.1 software on it then yeah, it's got that update. Just check next time you plug it into your computer to see, and if you don't have it then just use the iPod updater.

And yeah, a lot of it does depend on what it's running through. It's when you're running both MP3 players through top end systems and playing songs that are extremely high fidelity (I'm talking >44.1 khz sampling rate). I've tried playing the same song on both the Zune and my iPod on my roommate's 5.1 surround sound system (we're gonna have to compare it with the Zune 2.0 once he gets it) and their sound quality is nearly identical. Both players sound beautiful.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
^if i recently pressed the "update iPod software" button on iTunes, i'm up to date right?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^if i recently pressed the "update iPod software" button on iTunes, i'm up to date right?

yup
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Are there any large-storage mp3 players out there that don't require software? I don't like the whole iTunes thing, and Creative has the same type of deal.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Critics agree - the sony walkman series.

Best quality. End of. Check reviews if you don't believe me. You will have to use a program called sonic stage, but only to put the songs on there, nothing else.

Also, there's changable settings (bass, treble, etc), nice and thin like a nano...

Trust, it's the best quality. At high volumes, it won't distort like a Ipod either.
Quote by 6nikki-nine9
i have a 30g ipod the video one and ive dropped mine about 15 times and it works just fine and there isnt any dents or scratches, i thought that the 30gs wasnt going to be enough for me but i only have about 15 with 1300 songs, 7 movies, and 2 games i bought, its kinda pricey but worth it in my book

You count?

Yeah, I've dropped my iPod about 73.82 times, and it still works fine, but mine's a mini, silver, RETRO FTW!

I want a new iPod.
Quote by Craigo
Critics agree - the sony walkman series.

Best quality. End of. Check reviews if you don't believe me. You will have to use a program called sonic stage, but only to put the songs on there, nothing else.

Also, there's changable settings (bass, treble, etc), nice and thin like a nano...

Trust, it's the best quality. At high volumes, it won't distort like a Ipod either.

Sure, but 8 gigs for $220.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Zens >>>>> iFags.

But for 50 more gigs at the same price, I think it's pretty clear which one you choose.
The Zune 2 looks pretty awesome.
My 30gb iPod video just stopped working today.
...and I take so much care of all my electronics.
I have a Zune player and I'm very happy with it, no complains here, I've had it for 7 months and everything's been going really well, ocassional (.5 second) freeze here and there, but nothing serious, You guys must have some horrible luck and get lemons XD.