is there any difference whatsoever in these amps? i hear one has more gain, one is chunkier, blah blah.

im looking to buy either one since i already got a maxon od-9 pro+ overdrive (i think thats what its called but i know the guys from Killswitch helped design it)

opinions and such would be welcome
My band is Ancient of Days (A.O.D)...we're a decent band hailing from the most Un-metal place in the world, Miami Florida...check us out at www.myspace.com/ancientofdays

Metal Will Live Forever!
Last edited by Rockerdude455 at Oct 23, 2007,
you're probably gonna get redirected and told to use search bar and crap, but 6505+ has less gain and better cleans or something magical, but 5150II/6505+ apparently has more gain than you'd ever need anyway

oh and the 6505+ has independent EQ for both channels
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
^i like dry amps than wet amps. wet + dirt = mud. get it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^i like dry amps than wet amps. wet + dirt = mud. get it?

Most people want 5150/6505s for metal, and the tone is just lacking, imo. 6505+ just sound better and less "sterile," if you like that word better
lol yea. a JCM2000 DSL401 combo in stock condition is best described as "sterile". speaker is too dry. it's an MG speaker. why not?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^it's just cheap around $500 on eBay. most users on this forum are poor with budget less than $200 wanting giggable metal amp, so yea there u go.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^but they are stupid enough to spend their earnings on clothes and food to go out with friends. i spend less than $20 for clothes every month.

but gas is a bitch. $50 for 3 weeks... pretty lame being my college 20 mins 22 miles away from my house. and traffic gets bad at times too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
im starting a job soon. soon to be full-part time (not as much hrs as full-time, but set hours so not really part time) at like $10+/hr like 20hrs a week? not bad i think during school.

but this weekend im operating a swim meet for $20/hr!!! ur in alaska have u heard of swimming??? or is it more of ice skating up there?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea. it should be conclusion of the spammage. i'm goin to bed.

so last message for TS:
6505+ would be a better deal if u can get it for similar price. 5150 sounds sterile/dry, and 6505+ has more balls (Say Ocean). 5150 is cheaper on ebay than 6505+s though. around $500ish for a used 5150. better condition = more.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i can make an AMZ MiniBooster to add tightness.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea. haven't shipped to alaska before, but it shouldn't go through customs right? or... wait it goes through canada. hmmm... i'll see if i can get it through. PM me later or post in my junkyard to refresh my mind later for that. haha. it won't be expensive like the fulltone fat-boost. (it's pretty much a straight-up clone.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i wonder if USPS goes through canada... if it does, it gets held off at the customs. and those canadians might think my pedal is a bomb????
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^but they are stupid enough to spend their earnings on clothes and food to go out with friends. i spend less than $20 for clothes every month.

but gas is a bitch. $50 for 3 weeks... pretty lame being my college 20 mins 22 miles away from my house. and traffic gets bad at times too.

20$ a months on clothes?! where the **** do you work? the presidents country club??

i spend a good chunk on gear.. but always WAYYY to much on video games. its a weakness.. But the wife loves them too so its all good.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
20$ a months on clothes?! where the **** do you work? the presidents country club??

i spend a good chunk on gear.. but always WAYYY to much on video games. its a weakness.. But the wife loves them too so its all good.

...? does that mean i spend a lot?
i stated "less than". i only go clothes shopping like once in two months tho. u don't?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i'm just kidding around. trying to make it sound like you spend a lot on clothes when you don't. I spend probably less than $75 a year on clothes, but thats because i don't have a problem with dressing like a bum.

edit: just so i'm not completely spamming the thread, from what i understand the difference between a 5150 and a 6505+ is that the 6505+ (also a 5150 II) has an extra preamp tube. i've heard this helps the clean channel out by a far margin by adding headroom. not having tried the "II" or "+" series tho, i can't tell you from experience.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Oct 23, 2007,
well i have a 3k budget to blow on gear

The 6505+, not the normal 6505, does sound chunkier from what ive played (you cant crank it at guitar center) and ive found them at $800 used on ebay.

i'll be playing it through a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, an Avatar Cab with 2 V30's and 2 T75's and a Maxon OD- Pro Overdrive. i'll be using my PodXT live for effects and noise gate. i hope to get a nice, tight, chunky rhythm sound for my band but unfortunately i cant afford a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rec or a Framus Cobra
My band is Ancient of Days (A.O.D)...we're a decent band hailing from the most Un-metal place in the world, Miami Florida...check us out at www.myspace.com/ancientofdays

Metal Will Live Forever!