tube amps get two different types of distortion. preamp overdrive, and poweramp overdrive. when tubes are saturated, or in common terms: overloaded with a loud signal, it creates distortion. the louder the loaded signal is, more distortion. this is first of all why people call amp's distortion "over-drive", since ur loading the amp more than, or "over" the threshold, and it is driving the amp hard.

powertube saturation is created the same way. but to achieve powertube saturation, it gets loud. LOUD. preamp tubes don't amplify the signal too much, just gets it up to line level so the powertubes can amplify it to ear crushing volume. powertubes add color too, but when they're overdriven, you end up with a sweet fat chunky overdrive.

most rock music is better with poweramp overdrive too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ok,thanks man,can you still achieve the power tube saturation if you're using a tube pedal distortion through a tube amp? (not using amps distortion)
that's not powertube saturation though. i doubt any tube pedal has some kind of a powertube in there. they're all 12AX7s.

they might sound like tube saturation, i know some of them even load the right voltage in there too, but im sure its not real powertube saturation.

r u looking at a pedal with tubes? why not just get a tube amp with actual powertubes? is ur current budget too short so ur trying to settle with a tube pedal? if you really want powertube saturation, save more money.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You can't emulate poweramp distortion without a proper poweramp cranked.
i have traynor 50 watts amp,its tube amp right so it has power tubes.lets say if i buy a damage control solid metal,put it infront of the amp,can i still get the power tube saturation if i crank the master volume of my amp?
^did u crank the traynor yet? i mean... if u have, and didnt get enough gain u wanted... might as well get another amp.

cuz cranked tube amps get hella gain.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yea but it doesn't give me enough gain.on my last question though,can i get power tube saturation if i do those settings?
No. The only way to get power tube saturation is to have the master volume (or just volume, if it's NMV) cranked. Putting pedals in front of your amp will only get you preamp gain or diode clipping.
yes, but it would be a bit colored tone by the pedal. what kind of tone do u want from ur traynor?

have you thought of changing tubes yet? how long have you had it?

EDIT: Roc, he said he was gonna crank the master volume with the pedal in front. it would give him powertube saturation plus alpha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i have it for like a year,i mainly played light rock before then i switch to metal,but the amp doesn't have enough gain.
Quote by ECistheBest
tube amps get two different types of distortion. preamp overdrive, and poweramp overdrive. when tubes are saturated, or in common terms: overloaded with a loud signal, it creates distortion. the louder the loaded signal is, more distortion. this is first of all why people call amp's distortion "over-drive", since ur loading the amp more than, or "over" the threshold, and it is driving the amp hard.

powertube saturation is created the same way. but to achieve powertube saturation, it gets loud. LOUD. preamp tubes don't amplify the signal too much, just gets it up to line level so the powertubes can amplify it to ear crushing volume. powertubes add color too, but when they're overdriven, you end up with a sweet fat chunky overdrive.

most rock music is better with poweramp overdrive too.

+1

Metal isn't though

Quote by Reyan
i have it for like a year,i mainly played light rock before then i switch to metal,but the amp doesn't have enough gain.

Have you tried sticking a boost or OD pedal in front of it?
^metal is metal. not metal rock right?

can u sell the traynor? maybe 400? and save a bit to get something along the line of a used peavey 5150 for 500ish.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^metal is metal. not metal rock right?

can u sell the traynor? maybe 400? and save a bit to get something along the line of a used peavey 5150 for 500ish.

But some people don't understand that if you're playing teh_tech_deth_metuhlz you don't want powertube distortion muddying up your sound

If you want an amp that covers more than just light rock, try finding a used Carvin v3 Carvin Legacy. More versatile than a 5150/6505.
yea you shouldn't crank a triple rect's powertubes. wouldn't be too pleasant with the massive preamp overdrive.

i love powertube saturation though. it shows how old my mind is at.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea you shouldn't crank a triple rect's powertubes. wouldn't be too pleasant with the massive preamp overdrive.

i love powertube saturation though. it shows how old my mind is at.

Not only would I topple my house, it sounds kinda funky anyway. That amp is not made for power tube distortion

Nothing wrong with liking powertube distortion, sounds ****ing awesome for most things.
^it covers pretty much what i play haha. blues jr surprising gets decent preamp overdrive than people think. most n00bs think they're an uber low gain amp because it has the word "blues" in it. but no, cranking the preamp volume and turning down the master volume (to see how much preamp overdrive it gets) it gets pretty decent amount of overdrive. at least more than marshall plexi preamps lol.

my attenuator gets me the poweramp saturation with manageable volume during jam/gigs. its nice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
really? i never went past 4 (9-10 o'clock its 4/12. not 4/10.) on my blues jr... but it seems like my drummer bangs pretty damn hard...

i was holding up with a 25w fender solid state and a squier too. volume at like 6... i guess drummers around me are soft hitting even they look like they're beating it? either that, or ur drummer is crazy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah he's crazy. What style of music do you play? Even if he hits hard, if hes playing rock or blues or classic rock its not gonna be as loud as double bass and crash cymbals etc haha

He is insane though. He's my brother, and hes shattered many cymbals and has chunks falling off one of his crashes right now and his hi hat is cracked and there are chunks falling off his china. He breaks maybe a pair or two per 30 minute jam session. Oh well, at least he doesn't hit like a little girl
^that is insane. i was freaking out when buddy first broke his stick lol. he didn't notice so he almost poked a hole in one of his toms hahaha.

i play blues, classic rock. some covers, but mostly just jam/improv. we're not good singers. but that's a secret nobody needs to know.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hahaha. i make my guitar talk for me.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard