Page 1 of 2
HEY!!! ive been in a new grunge/rock band for a few months now and we are just finishing up recording our first ep, which is has been a heap of fun, but the current amp i have is a little 15 watt mega, which sounds awesome at medium volume but ****s itself when turned up. In full band practice we plug our guitars into huge speakers and studio monitors, but when we finish recording we will tour round and i dont have an adequant amp atm. i wanted to ask ur opinions on the best amp for small/medium gigs? how much would i have to spend? i was thinking i want to spend up to $500 australian, and the amp i have in mind is the behringer 120 watt V-AMPIRE LX112. im pretty sure that wud have adequate power, but should i get a bass amp instead? i hear that they can sound a lot meatier and fuller, and i have many effects and distortions to plug into into it so a fx processor isnt important. wud i be getting the same amount of power and performance for the same price of a bass amp? in not looking for anything too metal, as we have a very grunge/vintage sustain sound. are their better performing amps at a better price? i do want a lot of power tho. any comments appreciated thx.
or wud be buying the 120 watt V-AMPIRE LX1200H head be better in the long run when i can afford a quad stack?
well for the same volume, you need a much higher wattage bass amp.
Anyway, $500 AUS isnt gunna get you anything spectacular, hell my Spider III cost 615

Arent you guys gunna mic ur amps up on stage anyway?
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
Anyway, $500 AUS isnt gunna get you anything spectacular, hell my Spider III cost 615

You got raped

Whats the conversion rate for US -> AUS?
Quote by BFun

There are plenty of amps for $500 AU

Peavey Envoy 110, some Fender amps... just have to look.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
i checked out the peavey envoy 110 and i its in my price range, but wud its 40 watts be enough power for me?
Quote by Say Ocean
Whats the conversion rate for US -> AUS?

at this time, this is our ultimate question...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
it'll be fine.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
lol when u go to a concert, is this what u want "how was their sound?" "it was fine" or..."it was freakin awesome" lol nah my friends got a 20 watt peavey bass amp and my guitar sounds pretty sweet out of that, so im guessin an 40 watt peavey gtar will be pretty awesome lol. peavey are waayyy better then behringer to everyone tells me.
all manufacturers make some **** amps, and some awesome amps. Marshall gets bashed for selling MGs. but they still make JVMs and made plexis. Fender makes frontman amps, but they make blues jrs and made bassmans and tweed twins. peavey makes stuff like bandits, but then they make more lines of tube amps than most manufacturers these days.

i still don't know what the budget for this thread is in USD...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Say Ocean
Eh Mesa doesn't make too many **** amps, if any

Tell us your budget in USD!

We're stupid ignorant Americans that don't have google

mesa don't sell on musiciansfriend.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i guess it woudlnt be just straight dollar exchange, like if a certain line of amps is made in the us the it will be cheaper in the us than aus on that fact alone. for example how the playstation is so cheap in japan. but anyway, from my reserch im in the range where i cdan get a good quality, nice!! brand 50watt amp, or a 120 watt low range amp. maybe that cud be used a conversion lol
Quote by maca-venagas
i guess it woudlnt be just straight dollar exchange, like if a certain line of amps is made in the us the it will be cheaper in the us than aus on that fact alone. for example how the playstation is so cheap in japan. but anyway, from my reserch im in the range where i cdan get a good quality, nice!! brand 50watt amp, or a 120 watt low range amp. maybe that cud be used a conversion lol

i'd get a brand 30watt tube amp.

maybe not even brand. the t00bez r teh sexorz.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You need to save up more money quickly, and get a better valve-powered amp. Randall RG50TC would be ideal. SS Randalls are also okay. You don't wanna be stuck with an SS amp for distortion and stuff....
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
peavey valveking might be a candidate. too bad he can't wait for the windsor studio???

wow its carrot t3h br00t4Lz!!! is it already after school?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ive got plenty of distortion pedals and the like, actually if i didnt spend so much money on pedals i could buy my dream orange stack, so really its just a matter of having something powerfull which will play out my pedals nice and loud and clear, without ef-ing up the sound of the pedal. thats why i was thinking a bass amp, since a lot of guys like josh homme and omar rodriguez use them too
Quote by ECistheBest
peavey valveking might be a candidate. too bad he can't wait for the windsor studio???

wow its carrot t3h br00t4Lz!!! is it already after school?

It's half term! So I got a whole week off

Yeah look into the Valveking, 50 watts VALVE POWER (it'll be equal to a 150w SS amp in volume), will sound better and is also pretty cheap....

IMO a valve amp is the way to go here, the Valveking and Randall RG50TC will handle your distortion needs fine, and are a good platform for building on with FX and the like.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's half term! So I got a whole week off

Yeah look into the Valveking, 50 watts VALVE POWER (it'll be equal to a 150w SS amp in volume), will sound better and is also pretty cheap....

IMO a valve amp is the way to go here, the Valveking and Randall RG50TC will handle your distortion needs fine, and are a good platform for building on with FX and the like.

cool... i have school tomorrow... (actually in 7.5 hrs.) im not looking forward to it... its pretty lame... all i do is take a nap and press buttons and ****.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
cool sound like the valveking is they way to go, it also squashes my fears of the 50 watts not being enough power. thx. any specific model name ud reckon? only thing about abot peavy is some of their amps dont look as attractive as some other brands lol i like to have my setup looking noice but id sacrifice look preference for performance lol
Haha, sounds pretty sucky. What subjects you taking?
btw i finished school 3 weeks ago so now i can focus 100% on partying and my music ahahah the aussie way
damn... im taking General (aka geeky) Chemistry, General (also aka geeky) physics, chemistry laboratory, physics laboratory, and Interdisciplinary General Education (aka english). of course, not all of them on the same day. GC and IGE are MWF, GCL and GPL are thursday and friday afternoons respectively, and GP are TuTh. i got physics tomorrow...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
haha niceee.

The valveking 1x12 50w is plenty. To put it into context, I did a battle of the bands in front of 100 people in a indoor basketball court with a 5w valve combo mic'd for a bit extra bass + punch. My friend used a 20w valve amp through a 1x15" cab. 50w would be loads for gigs.
ahahahha, yes, finbaly something in context. still at 1000 bucks aus its double what i have to spend and i cant wait any longer than the start of november, cos thats when weve been booked at venues and asked to play at party's and stuff. so i cud just get a 500 buck head and use our jam speakers, which wud definetly be adequate, and the get a stack at christmas . still if u say 50 watt is good enough i wud probly have to go without the valve or tube to save money.
Whoops typo, I said 100 but it was actually 1000 people. You could go either 60w SS or 15w and up valve. I recommend you try the Valveking at least, and also the Randall as I hear they're popular in Aus, as they will sound A LOT better than any other amp you could buy....

On a low budget though? If you really can't save up, look at Vox Valvetronix and Roland Cubes. The 50w Valvetronix and 60w Cube will be enough.
i thought we convinced him enough for a tube...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
whats the difference between valve and tube? omg those vox's, ive never seen an uglier amp ahahhaah but it actually looks like a good choice. same with the roland.
valve is a british way of saying tube. in america, we call it electron tubes/vacuum tubes, or just tubes.

^no.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
what does everyone have against mg's? ive never heard one but its interesting. what is it about them? also if i can scrape my dad against the concrete and get an extra hundred bucks or two atm id get the roland cube 60
MGs sound like garbage, are really overpriced for what they are and are really unreliable. That's pretty much why they're hated.

Cube 60 would be great if you can squeeze more money out of your dad.
ive give that bastard a pounding lol if i cant end up getting the cube ill probaly go to go ol' Sydney and try out the vox tube the peavey envoy and the behringer vamp and see which comes up trumps. thx for ur help.
wtf??? 350 get a Crate Palomino V16!!!

can u get a crate that cheap in australia?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Page 1 of 2