Hello, I'm new to the UG forums and this is my first post:

I'm in the market for a new electric (I have an ancient hand-me-down student guitar - I've only been playing for ~5 months now) and I'm not sure which I should go with. As far as model I was thinking of a Highway One for a couple of reasons, the biggest of which is money.

I've been told Tele is for country only. Not that I won't play an occasional song by The Band, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I have also read reviews on Highway One Teles that say they are more than just country guitars.

As far as Strats go, EVERYBODY has one (or so it seems). I kind of want to be a little different, but I want to stick with a mainstream Fender guitar.

As for the type of music I play, I play a lot of Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Zeppelin, but also some Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and eventually I want to play Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was thinking that a Strat (or maybe even a Fat Strat) would be best for that type kind of stuff, since most of the guitarists play Strats.

Can the Tele not handle that stuff? I've heard some damn good blues on a Tele. But I'm torn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by Thebridge
I've been told Tele is for country only. Not that I won't play an occasional song by The Band, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I have also read reviews on Highway One Teles that say they are more than just country guitars.

As far as Strats go, EVERYBODY has one (or so it seems). I kind of want to be a little different, but I want to stick with a mainstream Fender guitar.

As for the type of music I play, I play a lot of Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Zeppelin, but also some Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and eventually I want to play Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was thinking that a Strat (or maybe even a Fat Strat) would be best for that type kind of stuff, since most of the guitarists play Strats.

Can the Tele not handle that stuff? I've heard some damn good blues on a Tele. But I'm torn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

yes telecasters are way more than country only. although i am the strat lovers group founder, i highly respect telecasters as blues/rock guitars too. country players just seem to dig the twanginess of a tele.

as far as your genres go, why get anything but a strat? i mean, u might like the humbucker in the fat strats, but RHCP is bridge pickup single coil to me. at least the frusciante's clean parts. with a decent fuzz, zeppelin is bridge single coil too. dire straits are i guess middle, or even neck humbucker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by burn the stars
get a telle and drop a humbucker in it.

Yeah cause he's been playing for five months and is gonna spend a few hundred on a guitar and then assault it with a router.
Go to the store and play guitars dude. Find a tone you love. Stop looking at the guitar as representation of yourself being unique or not(leave that to the little bitches). Just do what your ears and feelings tell you.

If you end up with a strat then thats the tone you love. Besides maybe all those other people with strats got them cause they were trendy and not because they found the tone they love. You should learn about pickups if you don't already know, go to the store and try out strats with different pickups. Try out Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, Epi, etc. EVERYTHING.

Don't forget to consider what type of wood the guitar is made of and what fredboard surface you like best. okay? Designating a favorite pickup probably would be too generalized though unless you break it down to model.

Good luck
Out of those I'd go w/ the strat.

But don't disregard your other options. There are a lot of great guitars out there.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
A telecaster with a humbucker would be your best option if you heart is really set on it. If you really don't want to go through the trouble, get a Stratocaster (even though there really isn't much trouble).
Yeah I've been told to just go to guitar shops and play around and find what you want. There's a Guitar Center that's not too far away that I went to last week. I spent about an hour and a half just messing around with mostly Strats (HSS and regular) and Teles, but also a few Gibsons and even one of those Dimebag Dean models (which was insanely fun to play, let alone hold).

I'll make another visit this week and explore a bit more thoroughly.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.