Hey guys, I must admit I am very lazy with regards to guitar theory, however, I have made a keen effort to learn a few scales and modes lately.

One thing that is really getting to me however is chord theory.

With sites like http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_progressions.php which seem to do pretty much everything for you, is it really neccesary? I mean how many times would you need to improvise chords? I was thinking of just using that site so that I have everything in front of me, like what chords are in what keys, where they are etc so that I could compose a few simple songs? While I survive for long this way? It really does seem like a terrible amount of information to learn
Quote by Marsbe
Hey guys, I must admit I am very lazy with regards to guitar theory, however, I have made a keen effort to learn a few scales and modes lately.

One thing that is really getting to me however is chord theory.

With sites like http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_progressions.php which seem to do pretty much everything for you, is it really neccesary? I mean how many times would you need to improvise chords? I was thinking of just using that site so that I have everything in front of me, like what chords are in what keys, where they are etc so that I could compose a few simple songs? While I survive for long this way? It really does seem like a terrible amount of information to learn

So you are basicly saying to us ''Hey I'm lazy!''. Yeah, few simple songs and then...?

Those your scales and modes should be backed up with some serious chord knowledge to use them 100%.
And chord theory is helping you going through the solos (arpeggios, which mode/scales goes best with that chord), finding cool basslines and improving yourself as musician.

In the end it's up to you.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Guitar world are a guitar magazine and they teach how to play tabs, scales and styles.Check it out.
When would you need to improvise chords? How about when writing?
Sure it's not improv in the normal sense but it's still making stuff up.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
If you're looking for a shortcut to becoming a good guitarist in a short amount of time and with minimal knowledge of theory, know for sure that there are no such shortcuts. If you're really all that lazy then just stick to learning songs off tabs and what not.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
The thing is, I started really late (19 years old) and whilst my playing is pretty decent (Hendrix, CCR, Funkadelic etc), my theory is substantially lacking. I have a basic idea on how to form major triads, augmented chords etc but it seems to take so long.

What are the essiantials to know when it comes to chords? Also, what is the bare minimum I should know?
Essential of all essentials

For chord theory, go under the All About Chords part, but there is a lot of theory, and when you need something from theory look there.
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Ok thanks, looks like I've got a hell of a lot of reading to do. Would a teacher be of much assistance in learning this?
Another stupid question, how long would it take to get a pretty good grasp of chords progressions and keys etc

Just a really rough estimate at say, 1 hour of study each day....
Quote by Marsbe
Ok thanks, looks like I've got a hell of a lot of reading to do. Would a teacher be of much assistance in learning this?

Yes.

But take it slowly.
You don't want to ''learn'' everything and then realize that you have some holes in it, eh?

Don't be afraid to come here for questions.
And you should connect theory lessons with songs you learn, this is the part where the teacher would be most help...
Quote by Johnljones7443

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by Marsbe

I'd say it depends - a teacher could show you IRL and/or re-tell you the information in other words if you don't understand, and also motivate you to not stop practicing.

But if you have the power of patience I'd say no.

It's all the same information re-told between humans; some get it by text, other by teachers, other just picks it up subconsciously without thinking about it.
Quote by Marsbe
The thing is, I started really late (19 years old) and whilst my playing is pretty decent (Hendrix, CCR, Funkadelic etc), my theory is substantially lacking. I have a basic idea on how to form major triads, augmented chords etc but it seems to take so long.

What are the essiantials to know when it comes to chords? Also, what is the bare minimum I should know?

Whatever you choose to do, have patience.

I'm 16, started taking this seriously and actually learning stuff (not just tabs) roughly a year ago - my mates who've had teachers or gets educated by teachers at the moment discourage me all the time because I choose not to, and also mention things like how I are too late, since you learn easier as a child and other ****. .