This is something i was discusing with some friends last night in the pub...

I think Mp3 has more or less taken over from the physical single on a CD or whatever but, do you guys think the Mp3 will ever take over form the physical album, be it viynal, CD, or whatever format?

I cant see it happening, I and I think other people like to have the 'CD' in their hand, and the booklets with the information about the bands in, but one of my mates only owns Mp3s and about 2/3 coppied CDs.
I just wondered what you guys as musicians thought.
I will go out an make special purchases for the albums and bands i love. For example I have every coheed album in various formats but nothing can beat the CD's. I think it shows more band support
Some media types and stuff are championing MP3 downloads but realistically I don't think it will replace CD's
i actually think it will take over but over a long period of time..
i used to download songs but im turning more to buying cds cuase in a few years there wont be cds anymore so a cd will be like a special thing..
but of course i buy the cd cause i want to hear what the whole album sounds like and because i like the band

actual albums > mp3/iTunes album

It's just nice to have a physical copy with the artwork and everything.

What i never understood about iTunes is why someone would pay $10 for something that becomes worthless the moment that they buy it? I mean it's not as if you could burn an album that you purchased off of iTunes to a cd and sell it to a used cd store.. And as far as a burnt cd with the album name scribbled on the disc with black marker, well that just looks tacky *nods*
I don't feel like I actually have the music unless I have the cd. Putting songs on the computer is meant to be an addition, not what you're getting the CD for.

I would pefer to buy cds of the bands i really like if i wasnt poor.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by suthy16
actual albums > mp3/iTunes album

It's just nice to have a physical copy with the artwork and everything.

What i never understood about iTunes is why someone would pay $10 for something that becomes worthless the moment that they buy it? I mean it's not as if you could burn an album that you purchased off of iTunes to a cd and sell it to a used cd store.. And as far as a burnt cd with the album name scribbled on the disc with black marker, well that just looks tacky *nods*

that is so true. there is no noticeable difference between an mp3 that you've bought and one you've downloaded from a torrent, its just a computer file.

while if you have a cd with the album art, the higher audio quality etc. its just so much more special
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

mp3 sucks, I hate compressed material, cd's and Vinyl ftw!
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
I'm starting to create flac (lossless compression) tracks from my cds so I don't lose the quality. However each song is like 30+ megabytes. I think when online dealers start making these available then cd sales might have to worry.
Quote by Birdy266
I dont think it will ever happen

+ 1
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by hoowahman
I'm starting to create flac (lossless compression) tracks from my cds so I don't lose the quality. However each song is like 30+ megabytes. I think when online dealers start making these available then cd sales might have to worry.

Who on earth would want a 30Mb audio file?!
I'm a piratefag who likes free stuff, so I don't have many albums. I just download music to check it out, instead of buying a load of albums then disliking them. What a waste that would be if there are only 1 or 2 good tracks...

However when it's a new release from a band I follow, I.E Maiden, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, AC/DC, Metallica... I'm perfectly happy to go buy the CD. It's just nice to have. Plus bands are starting to make actual CDs more desirable, for example the free patch I got with Municipal Waste's newest album
i think for people that don't care about sound quality mp3s will start to take over some, but in the music world of people like us that care about how it sounds and is suposed to sound CDs or vinal will always be around,

Some bands only release some tracks on the actual CD like Minuets to Midnight from Linkin Park , the last two tracks from this album were only avlible on the actual CD,

I think they will always be around
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
Quote by GiantRaven
Who on earth would want a 30Mb audio file?!
With projections of having 4 terabyte drives in desktops within the next 3-4 years 30 megabytes is nothing compared to 3 megatbytes used back in the late 90s with the current harddrive compacity then. I'm just saying that the industry will get to a point where 30 megabytes is truely nothing and people won't be looking to cut down bandwidth to save money when selling mp3s online. It will get to a point where lossless only makes sense to download because you'll have so much harddrive space and won't worry about that.