sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i dont really give half a poo cos its close enough
i was wondering how u become a guitar teacher? is there a course u can take or something like that? specifically for nsw australia and dont tell me im too **** to do it cos i realise this fact and it is a burden i must bear for my the rest of my life
ty
It'd be easiest to get a job at a place like a music store if you can show them some qualifications that show you know what your doing, although you don't really need much qualification if you're just gonna put up a few flyers for home lessons or something. It really depends on what sort of scale you're wanting to do this on: as a way to make a few bucks on the side, or as a career...
I'm a guitar teacher yay!! i'm just teaching one of my mates brothers though He's 8 years old so he gets bored pretty easy, just started teaching him and doing stuff like basic chords and stuff at the moment.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Teaching is about much more than just being a good guitarist.

Of course you need have a certain amount of skill on the instrument, but it's even more important that you know how to inspire and motivate students, which is harder than you might think.

Another very important part, probably the most important, is that you know how to get information across.

Being a good teacher isn't something that comes natural with being a good player. Are you able to take a piece of information and present it to a student in a way they will understand it and at a tempo which is comfortable with them?

If you're just starting out, try to find a friend who wants to learn how to play the guitar. This will be a good way to get some experience and it will show whether you're good enough to teach.

Keep in mind people pay a lot of money for lessons, so they want quality.

Also, it's a great job, no doubt about that, but you will get some students who are unwilling to listen, practice and cooperate, but even the completely unmotivated students, who you know aren't going to get anywhere, need some good lessons, so it's not that rewarding all the time.

Occassionally you'll have to invest a lot of energy in what you already is a hopeless case. This is fine, but you need a good amount of patience to deal with them.

Once you have all of this sorted out, you can do a few things:

-take out an ad somewhere and see if people will reply

-apply at your own teacher, offering to help out or take over some lessons every week

-apply at a music store

Good luck
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 23, 2007,
thanks for the help, i think i have the teaching aspect going for me. maybe not so much on the skill. So you dont know of any qualifications you can get? bar a degree in music. Cos personally i wouldnt trust a random 18y old with teaching me guitar for money
Quote by Man_Beast
thanks for the help, i think i have the teaching aspect going for me. maybe not so much on the skill. So you dont know of any qualifications you can get? bar a degree in music. Cos personally i wouldnt trust a random 18y old with teaching me guitar for money

Depends.

In England you have the RGT exams, which will give you a good idea of where you're at, but I don't know if you have something like that where you live.

If you don't, applying for a job at your own teacher is an even better idea, since he can tell whether or not you're good enough and also give you some pointers.

Also, people look for different things in a teacher. Some will want to learn some basic songs while others are looking for much more advanced lessons.

If you give everyone who wants to start taking lessons from you a free or reduced-fee introductory lesson, you'll probably be able to tell if you can help that particular student.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 23, 2007,