Basically, I only realised a few weeks ago that the intonation on my High E is way off and sounds like crap. It sounds ok open string, but when you fret it, especially up around 12 and higher, the intonation just sounds really strange and awful.

I don't really wanna take it to a tech as I don't have the money lying around to possibly be ripped off. I have read a couple other threads here describing the same problem, and that the bridge must be adjusted (I know **** all about guitars really, but have a friend that could fix it if he knew the cause of the problem). I have attached a couple pics so that someone might be able to help me out.

PS: It has fallen onto its side after I lent it on the wall a few times, but I don't remember hearing anything wrong with it then.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
maybe its a problem with the action being too low. does the string rest on any of the frets at any point?
Um no, not when not playing a fret.

By the way Facing, I tried adjusting the screw but the sound doesn't change at all. A guy who I tried to get to fix it also adjusted them but didn't know the cause.
Does you saddle move when you turn the screw?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Doesn't look like anything's terribly wrong. Are you sure you don't just press down way too hard?
Try replacing the string.

Sometimes when a string has been on a guitar too long it refuses to stay in tune on the upper frets (hence giving you the idea there's something wrong with the intonation). Replace the string and then see if the problem persists.

If this isn't it, it's probably intonation related. There are plenty of tutorials on how to adjust the intonation and this isn't hard at all.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
If the high E string is sharp when fretted at the 12th fret you are in luck. That's because the saddle in the pic is all the way forward. When you move the saddle back it increases the length of the string and will flatten the pitch when fretted. So if you are sharp at the 12th it will flatten. Hopefully it will flatten enough by moving the saddle.
Well, it turns out it was the string. I didn't think it would be because they weren't that old and were d'addarios. Thanks a lot for the help.
Quote by zapparage
Well, it turns out it was the string. I didn't think it would be because they weren't that old and were d'addarios. Thanks a lot for the help.

Thought so.

Sometimes, even after a few days of playing your strings can be completely shot.

You've read it, you can't un-read it!