Basically i'm a moderatly good guitarist [compared to most UGers probably **** but yeah]. I've been playing for a while now but am struggling and need some help.

I used to have lessons but my teacher spent ****ing ages to teach anything and bassically i just jammed with him, he was cool, but not worth £12.50 a lesson. So i stopped lessons and sort-a-didn't practice as much as i used to. But recently i began to practice more and for some reason i'm relly struggling to learn new songs, I just learn the intro or something then just lose the will to live. Which really pisses me off 'cause i want to learn more songs and become a better guitarist i just seem to forget this when i'm learning...

Bassically i need some help... so any sugegstions UG?
You need a better rig. Awesome sound = awesome incentive to play 10 hours a day.
I'm a communist. Really.
Find some songs that make you go "OMG that was awesome, I wish I'd wrote that..." and then learn em...like 'Smoke On The Water' for example, but right through, not just the riff. If you need, ask a friend to give you a dead arm if you don't learn the song
Quote by M.B.MetalTabber
Find some songs that make you go "OMG that was awesome, I wish I'd wrote that..." and then learn em...like 'Smoke On The Water' for example, but right through, not just the riff. If you need, ask a friend to give you a dead arm if you don't learn the song

Good idea on the dead arm, any suggestions for amazing songs to play? Something fairly challenging i don't want to just learn any old ****
Good idea on the dead arm, any suggestions for amazing songs to play?

How about 'Fairies Wear Boots' by "Black Sabbath", that's an awesome song with some tricky parts. You'll have to figure out the verse by ear though, because I haven't posted the CORRECT verse for that yet, and neither has anyone else
Quote by Lethal.7
if ur lacking motivation your not playing because you want to.

I do want to it's just...i can't really explain it, it's just i sort of stop wanting to play when i am playing...I can't exlain it properly.
Quote by M.B.MetalTabber
How about 'Fairies Wear Boots' by "Black Sabbath", that's an awesome song with some tricky parts. You'll have to figure out the verse by ear though, because I haven't posted the CORRECT verse for that yet, and neither has anyone else

Thanks i'll look into it now.
The most recent motivation to learn full songs for me was 'appetite for destruction' by guns n roses. I learnt all the main riffs and the whole of 'nightrain' and 'welcome to the jungle'.
Effects chain:

Dunlop crybaby original

Hence the name.
Quote by minimalfx
The most recent motivation to learn full songs for me was 'appetite for destruction' by guns n roses. I learnt all the main riffs and the whole of 'nightrain' and 'welcome to the jungle'.

Yeah, that's another good one, Mr. Brownstone and Nightrain are awesome, as is the rest of the album
I forgot about guns and roses and how amazing they are...i'm going to try and learn welcome to the jungle i think
someone wrote an awesome article about this here on u.g. about two months ago...
but i know what you're going through. good luck.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by clu291
Basically i'm a moderatly good guitarist [compared to most UGers probably **** but yeah]. I've been playing for a while now but am struggling and need some help.

I used to have lessons but my teacher spent ****ing ages to teach anything and bassically i just jammed with him, he was cool, but not worth £12.50 a lesson. So i stopped lessons and sort-a-didn't practice as much as i used to. But recently i began to practice more and for some reason i'm relly struggling to learn new songs, I just learn the intro or something then just lose the will to live. Which really pisses me off 'cause i want to learn more songs and become a better guitarist i just seem to forget this when i'm learning...

Bassically i need some help... so any sugegstions UG?

I've got the exact same problem

I do infact love playing guitar, I play it all the time, My own stuff that is.
But I just can't sit down and learn a full song I want to , but I just can't It's fairly weird to explain
But I'll blame it on my hormones for now, and I'm sure in a year or so this problem will be gone.
But uhh yeah Just set a goal for youself, Lean like a riff a day to the song or something
Cancer.
Seems like i'm not alone, THATS GOOD TO KNOW

Anyway yeah, i'm going to learn welcome to the jungle if it takes me all year, even if it kills me
Last edited by clu291 at Oct 23, 2007,
the first time i started playing guitar, i had never gotten any lead work done since it always seemed like it was difficult and i just didn't want to struggle that much...haha

i didn't stick with it for long, but years later i picked up a guitar again and re-learning everything i used to know felt like super-fast learning so i kept rolling with it and decided to tackle a solo

the first solo i learned was the one in bayside - the walking wounded (the title track)

i really liked that solo and at the time the difficulty (for me) was absolutely off the charts, but i love challenges and i really wanted to be able to do it...what better time than when motivation is at an all time high?

i didn't get too good at it, but it required me to learn some techniques in the process (and it required me to get my guitar set-up, the first one ever) basically it got me further into the guitar world

then i sprinkled a little youtube magic on it and my motivation was increased tenfold after seeing these videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Am3n2IJDU8

(at first, i believed it was so far beyond me that i just wanted to learn bits and pieces...the easy ones...but i really like that solo so i kept working on it, also learned some techniques here)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N-DKrWSO3NI

(this one just oozes awesomeness, i thought it was really cool to see metal type of guys doing classical stuff and it sounds great too, i haven't quite got it up to speed yet but i've gotten so much better from practicing it)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rfDZrRDmZYE

(this one just left my jaw on the floor, it almost made me want to quit...i still haven't tried to tackle it...i think i might almost be ready to start attempting it)

you just need inspiration!
Last edited by mybsaccownt at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by clu291
I do want to it's just...i can't really explain it, it's just i sort of stop wanting to play when i am playing...I can't exlain it properly.

you mean you get easily distracted?
Quote by meh...
you mean you get easily distracted?

no i just lack motivation whilst playing
well ask your mum or dad to ban you from TV / Playstation / Xbox or whatever, so the only thing you can do for fun is playing guitar (or jerking off, but thats different)
Quote by meh...
well ask your mum or dad to ban you from TV / Playstation / Xbox or whatever, so the only thing you can do for fun is playing guitar (or jerking off, but thats different)

jerking off is the sex...well sex is the sex but its the closest i'll get for a while

Anyway the videos mybsaccownt posted really did give me inspiration... i'm going to stop start learning solos of songs before the whole song now and work on my lead much more.

Thanks guys you have realy helped
Last edited by clu291 at Oct 23, 2007,
Perhaps you should just learn the parts you want to.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
Perhaps you should just learn the parts you want to.

yeah thats what i'm going to do. but i think before i learn anything new i'll perfect what i already know.