If a song were in Drop c for bass and i would need to play an open string on the dropped c string. Isit okay to replace it with the C on the 3rd fret 2nd string? And to do so for the entire song?
It would be the same note, but you would have to move every note up an octave to keep it sounding the same. And then, that might sound wrong alongside the guitars and drums. Try it and see how it sounds.
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a different tuning pose characteristic overall tonality, as to say it may sound different even if it is the same note. And having the guitar playing low notes on a drop tuned guitar and the bass playing notes that are only an octave or two lower might sound, well if not wrong, weird?
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Quote by Americanhoser
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a different tuning pose characteristic overall tonality, as to say it may sound different even if it is the same note. And having the guitar playing low notes on a drop tuned guitar and the bass playing notes that are only an octave or two lower might sound, well if not wrong, weird?

You're not wrong. The voicing of the song would be different and may in some instances sound really different.
Hmmm i have not tried it yet , gna try it out.. But what u guys said def did made sense..dropping would be better.. Thanks anyway