Quote by Azwethinkwedo
wtf is oink?

tv-links is the internets biggest loss this month

i agree....wtf is if oink?
Quote by djmay71
i agree....wtf is if oink?

Invite only bit torrent tracker and forum facilitating the piracy of music and music related software.
Quote by *Juno*
AHAHA,!!! Now all of you who refused to hand out Oink invites are at my mercy

Demonoid Ftw

demoniod will be next.. if it's in a country thats effected by the american copy right laws
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
torrentfreak.com/oink-is-alive-learn-how-to-access/

"The hugely popular bittorrent tracker oink.me.uk appears to be offline but it is in fact alive and well. oink is suffering from some annoying DNS issues, ..."
Quote by yam
there goin after users?

There's going to be enough evidence too, whether or not it would be a productive use of resources in doing so is unclear.
Quote by armon77
torrentfreak.com/oink-is-alive-learn-how-to-access/

"The hugely popular bittorrent tracker oink.me.uk appears to be offline but it is in fact alive and well. oink is suffering from some annoying DNS issues, ..."

From the IP addresses:

"This site has been closed as a result of a criminal investigation by IFPI, BPI,
Cleveland Police and the Fiscal Investigation Unit of the Dutch Police (FIOD ECD) into
suspected illegal music distribution.

A criminal investigation continues into the identities and activities of the site's
users
"

Denied
Quote by anewhope
There's going to be enough evidence too, whether or not it would be a productive use of resources in doing so is unclear.

only the top users though?
Uhoh...
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Theres been like 2 other threads on this today,one has been closed, another (just like this one) is on its way to being closed.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by yam
only the top users though?

If anything was going to happen from this, I'd assume that those users who consistantly made available pre releases and other albums could possibly be facing some kind of action.
#i hope so. One things for sure, im going legal after this.
Quote by andyd93
Theres been like 2 other threads on this today,one has been closed, another (just like this one) is on its way to being closed.

actually, i don't see either of those threads you are talking about. when i searched oink this morning upon making the thread i came up with the Oink/Demonoid Invite Thread. now when i search i find mine and a thread asking about whether oink users will be gone after by the authorities.

so, anyway after reading comments on other sites i found these ones interesting
Quote by someone-from-brooklynvegan

Yeah... this is pretty much the worst news for the music industry in a long, long time...

What these stupid record labels fail to understand is that nobody is going to buy most of these **** albums anyway... half of the stuff they put out is terrible, but sites like Oink gave smaller bands exposure that they had no idea was even being given to them!

The fact is, nobody is going to buy your independent label band's album, regardless of how great it might be, because no one has ever heard of them. Oink gave you a way to listen to so many different albums I'd never heard before, and if I liked the album, I could go ahead and buy it or go see the band live.

Now, 180,000 users won't be able to spread those great new bands to their friends, and people will stop buying CDs and the record industry will die just like it was going to all along.

Thanks a lot, you ****ing pigs.

Quote by someone-else-frombv

if they had something like Netflix but for albums, then people would have no excuse. I never stole an album btw but do I like indie music. Sometimes I even buy albums. I dont need to hear every album, you can listen to plenty of that stuff on the radio, i mean come on NYU radio right there. and Fordham. thats good enough.

Quote by final-one-from-bv

the thing is this. record labels need only exist to license music to video games, tv shows, commercials, movies, etc. Theres no longer a need for a huge mechanical company to print booklets and burn cds, cassettes or records. theres no more need for record stores to exist out there selling the cds. THE OLD MODEL IS DEAD.

Oink allowed people to sidestep the middleman. there is no artist that was receiving more than a few cents per disc (or even download) sold. radiohead just broke it down even more and most likely made more money per disc than any artist in history...because people don't want to sidestep the artist and not reward them for their talent and hard work...they want to sidestep the crowd of greaseballs that were once necessary to the process. the industry is notoriously vicious and vampirical and it is crashing and burning because it is IRRELEVANT now.

OINK exposed people to music that they'd have never ever heard of...and for the most part those are the people that end up in the audience of their concerts.

The "60 major pre-releases" that they are blaming oink for are like 50 cent and maroon 5. and they were only put through oink so people can boost their ratio. Its not like now...those people who have access to the records are gonna scratch their head like theres nowhere to put the music. that ****ll be on demonoid or torrentleech or mininova or whatever the **** just as fast now.

it is dead. even T-Pain is losing the label...madonna, NIN. its only the beginning. and this is just naive of the music industry to think today's 'victory' will have any place in saving itself from the innevitable.

the shutting down of oink makes me wonder about how people will find new music. it makes me wonder about how the music industry might make positive reforms in order to counter sites like oink.

thoughts on that?
Quote by uhh_me?
actually, i don't see either of those threads you are talking about. when i searched oink this morning upon making the thread i came up with the Oink/Demonoid Invite Thread. now when i search i find mine and a thread asking about whether oink users will be gone after by the authorities.

so, anyway after reading comments on other sites i found these ones interesting

the shutting down of oink makes me wonder about how people will find new music. it makes me wonder about how the music industry might make positive reforms in order to counter sites like oink.

thoughts on that?

Quite an endearing read, but it just romantises the illegality of it all.

People can discover new bands and music on hundreds of other websites and magazines, I don't see what is so special about oink.
Quote by nightraven
Just 'cuz you didn't get an invite

>_>
<_<

*hopes you didn't at least otherwise has failed*

You're quite correct, I didn't get an invite.

I don't pirate music, films or games.

I buy legitimately.
God i cant believe they shut it down and to ^^ oink is so great because they have pretty much everything in excellent quality, practically guarunteed to not to contain viruses and the likes and downloads are like lightning fast.

The music industry is falling like a deck of cards, first the lady who got owned on Kazaa which just made people mad, Radioheads idea, NINs removal of the record lable and now oink being shut down along with a potential "holocaust" of its users?

Just imagine if they went after every single person who ever downloaded. Imagine what would happen to America. Imagine how many people would be incarcerated because of a few FILES. Three or four minutes of music. Imagine what would happen to the economy when about 60% of america is buried under lawsuits because they got the new FOB album off of lime wire or a torrent site. The whole thing is ridiculous and it doesnt do anything but fill the foolish music producers pockets.
and i just invited a guy yesterday. sucks for him. i was just promoted to a power user+. its not like the bands that get there albums leaked dont already have enough money
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by alaub1491
God i cant believe they shut it down and to ^^ oink is so great because they have pretty much everything in excellent quality, practically guarunteed to not to contain viruses and the likes and downloads are like lightning fast.

But do you think it's fair that you infringe on copywrited material?

Do you think it's acceptable to aquire music in an unlawful manner this way?

The music industry is falling like a deck of cards, first the lady who got owned on Kazaa which just made people mad, Radioheads idea, NINs removal of the record lable and now oink being shut down along with a potential "holocaust" of its users?

Do you not feel that people who have committed an offense should be duely punished for it? The music industry is not falling like a deck of cards, it's under going a forced metamorphic change that is overdue. Whether or not you approve of the business practises currently going on, is it not right that the law should be upheld?

Just imagine if they went after every single person who ever downloaded. Imagine what would happen to America. Imagine how many people would be incarcerated because of a few FILES. Three or four minutes of music. Imagine what would happen to the economy when about 60% of america is buried under lawsuits because they got the new FOB album off of lime wire or a torrent site. The whole thing is ridiculous and it doesnt do anything but fill the foolish music producers pockets.

Easy answer, don't take something which is not yours if you are not prepared to face the consequences.
Quote by fenderbassist12
and i just invited a guy yesterday. sucks for him. i was just promoted to a power user+. its not like the bands that get there albums leaked dont already have enough money

Was it only known bands artists that got leaked or was it the underground scene as well? If it's the underground scene then they don't have a terrible amount of money surely?

I do download illegally, but generally, if I see the CD I d/led in a shop and it's reasonably priced, I buy it.
NOPE.