So I'm in my junior year at university and I've been doing pretty well. Scholarship, honors program, all that jazz. During my first year I started working two jobs, but after a semester I found that to be too much for me so I quit one and have stayed at the other since then. So far my GPA is a 3.11 which I guess isn't terrible, although I do need a 3.25 by the end of May to keep my scholarship.

I'm taking 15 hours of coursework (5 classes), & working about 30 hours a week. Lately I've found myself not caring about school at all, and my grades have really shown it. If I keep it up I might lose my scholarship, and that'll be a kick in the ass.

I thought about quitting work for awhile but I really feel fulfilled there and I'm learning a lot, that out-of-the-classroom kind of real life learning, not textbook stuff. I enjoy it a lot more than school, but in my situation, graduating is more important.

So, has anybody else felt like this before? How did you work it out? Any tips on balancing work and school properly?
Yeah, I feel ya. I close 3 nights a week at the local bowling alley. The thing is, without a college degree, you can do almost nothing, but with a college degree, you can do almost anything. Just stick in there, I don't know what your job is, but when I lifeguarded, I could study on the job. Try getting a part time job on campus, its very beneficial.
Quote by djmay71
dude, just chill, and become a pessimist. everything will work itself out

I think you mean optimist. "Everything will work itself out" is an optimistic point of view. "Everything will screw up regardless of what I do" is a pessimistic one.
Quote by clapton-floyd
I don't believe in free will, I believe in Rohypnol.
You have to try to juggle both and give a f*ck about school. It won't be fun for your bank account if you lose that scholarship. Just keep that in mind every day, and you'll force yourself to study.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by ckellingc
... when I lifeguarded, I could study on the job.

The swimmers must have felt very safe when you were on duty.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
Quote by blu_flame34
So I'm in my junior year at university and I've been doing pretty well. Scholarship, honors program, all that jazz. During my first year I started working two jobs, but after a semester I found that to be too much for me so I quit one and have stayed at the other since then. So far my GPA is a 3.11 which I guess isn't terrible, although I do need a 3.25 by the end of May to keep my scholarship.

I'm taking 15 hours of coursework (5 classes), & working about 30 hours a week. Lately I've found myself not caring about school at all, and my grades have really shown it. If I keep it up I might lose my scholarship, and that'll be a kick in the ass.

I thought about quitting work for awhile but I really feel fulfilled there and I'm learning a lot, that out-of-the-classroom kind of real life learning, not textbook stuff. I enjoy it a lot more than school, but in my situation, graduating is more important.

So, has anybody else felt like this before? How did you work it out? Any tips on balancing work and school properly?

Are you sure you are in the right major? Perhaps it isn't school that is boring you, but what you are studying.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
Quote by sthall
The swimmers must have felt very safe when you were on duty.

Bless your sarcasm.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Well, I'm a Marketing major at the moment. I really enjoy that, but I'm also having to take one class of each other business sect (accounting, finance, law), and those are where I'm struggling.

My Honors class (a mixture of history and literature) I've been acing because that's what I really like, but I don't know what I would do with a degree in that to be honest. I usually do really well in my Honors classes because I'm so into the liberal arts. We have no tests in that class, just 6 papers, and I've done four with 3 A's. Part of the reason I feel so dejected is that the fourth one was a science paper (guest speaker), and I made a D on it.

I just feel like a failure right now.

Honestly I know inside that I'm a writer but I don't know what a degree would achieve for that. I don't mean a creative writer, sure I write songs/poetry/fiction for fun & expression, but analytical writing is where I excel. I'm not being a jackass, but every English teacher I've ever had has, at some point, taken me aside and told me that I have "something special" in writing. Maybe that means something.
Last edited by blu_flame34 at Oct 23, 2007,
Aww. *hugs* You are not a failure if you made it this far. Times get sh*tty, but you must pick up the slack. You need some time off from school and work. If you work on weekends, take a weekend off and just chill the f*ck out. It will help a lot.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I am working in night shifts for last 1 month and I can understand what u are going through . What u need is little time management . I suck at time management
Hi
Quote by darkstar2466
Aww. *hugs* You are not a failure if you made it this far

I made a 43 on a Stats test. The only good thing about that is that everybody failed miserably and he's giving a retest, which is unheard of in uni as I'm sure you know. He'll average out the two grades for a new one.

I went to his office to look over what I missed and I actually started crying. In my professor's office. I think that = failure.

Thanks for the hug though. I so need one right now.
F*cking Stats... it always ruins people.

Is your job a school/on-campus job?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
It's better than Calculus though

I work off-campus but it's just down the street. Maybe I'll ask to go down to 20 hours or something. But I love my job .
I open the Pool at one of the local YMCAs with a family pool and a lap pool, everone goes into the lap pool and not the famiily pool if i split the shift from pool to pool with the other lifegutard, i study while in the family pool where there is no one swimming.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
Quote by blu_flame34
It's better than Calculus though

I work off-campus but it's just down the street. Maybe I'll ask to go down to 20 hours or something. But I love my job .

Hah, as an engineer, I have to love calc.

The only suggestion I can make toward your job is to try and find an on-campus job that's really easy. I work as a camera-operator, recording lectures. I pretty much get paid to sit, and I get to absorb all sorts of crazy graduate engineering-courses' knowledge. There are always great job opportunities on campus. You can even help professors with some research as a lab assistant and get paid for it.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Christ I can't imagine doing 30 hours a week on top of uni. I'm in my junior honours year and at the moment have so much coursework its not even funny, next month should be a bit quieter though. Last year I was working four evenings a week for the 1st semester and even though my workload was a lot less then, I still had a fairly small amount of free time, which wasn't much fun.

I know this isn't really what you want to hear, but I don't plan on doing any paid work during term time this year. I'm just going to keep my paid work to the 'holidays' (christmas, easter etc). However I assume uni is a lot more expensive in the states and this isn't an option for you. Have you maxed out all your student loan options? If so I guess there is nothing else you can do but knuckle down and try to concentrate on the long term, easier said than done I know. Either that or heavily curtail your spending and reduce your work hours correspondingly. Good luck to you!
...Bleep Bloop...
Yeah, most people don't enjoy what they are going to major in, don't believe that myth. The reality is that most people will never get to be what they want to be, so they learn to simply accept that fact. The best thing you can do is prioritize school, even if you hate it with a burning passion. The fact of the matter is that you will never make as much money working without a college degree, than with a degree. I know how you feel, I've done the budgeting, I know that if I were working full time right now, I could afford a nice Camaro or Mustang in less then two years. However, in four years, I'll still be making the same amount, my odds of making any real money are rare. Meanwhile, with a degree I'll be making tons more money, even if it is a few years later.

Stick it out man, everyone hates it. It'll pay off whenever you get a good paying job. You're forgetting the cardinal rule of life, money makes everything better.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
You enjoy writing critical analyses? About....... what? Literature? Television? Anything?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by blu_flame34
Well, I'm a Marketing major at the moment. I really enjoy that, but I'm also having to take one class of each other business sect (accounting, finance, law), and those are where I'm struggling.

My Honors class (a mixture of history and literature) I've been acing because that's what I really like, but I don't know what I would do with a degree in that to be honest. I usually do really well in my Honors classes because I'm so into the liberal arts. We have no tests in that class, just 6 papers, and I've done four with 3 A's. Part of the reason I feel so dejected is that the fourth one was a science paper (guest speaker), and I made a D on it.

I just feel like a failure right now.

Honestly I know inside that I'm a writer but I don't know what a degree would achieve for that. I don't mean a creative writer, sure I write songs/poetry/fiction for fun & expression, but analytical writing is where I excel. I'm not being a jackass, but every English teacher I've ever had has, at some point, taken me aside and told me that I have "something special" in writing. Maybe that means something.

I'm a junior as well. Where are you going to school?

The general education requirements always suck. The only thing you can do is buck it up and get it done. At least pull a B in your crap classes and you'll be fine. Keep your priorities in check! Fortunately for me, I finished all my general education requirements in the first two years, and this is the last semester I'll have to take a class outside my major.

Something that worked for me was to make a bet about grades. I bet a girl an expensive dinner that I'd swing a better GPA than her. Out of stubbornness, I studied more than I normally would, and won the bet.

-SD
15 credit hours and 30 hours a week at work...that's it?

I was taking 15 credits in an engineering program and working 20 hours at a video game place and another 20-25 at UPS loading packages. Granted I have a 2.1 cumulative GPA...but just hunker down and quit your whining.

If you absolutely can't do both, either take less credits (unlikely since you've got a scholarship), or definitely cut hours at the job and get the degree.
Quote by denizenz
I was taking 15 credits in an engineering program and working 20 hours at a video game place and another 20-25 at UPS loading packages. Granted I have a 2.1 cumulative GPA...but just hanker down and quit your whining.

Obviously there's no correlation there…

-SD
GPA is a function of grades and work hours, in which grades and work hours are inversely related.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by SilentDeftone
GPA and the amount of time you spend on school as opposed to work.

-SD

Of course. However, the man is taking liberal arts classes in a business major. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I'd think he could be pulling a 3.25 while working 30 hours.
I know I can't handle more than 10-15 hours of work while taking 18-20 units of Electrical Engineering/Computer Science classes. I would fail horribly at school.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by denizenz
Of course. However, the man is taking liberal arts classes in a business major. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I'd think he could be pulling a 3.25 while working 30 hours.

She's a girl.

-SD
Quote by darkstar2466
I know I can't handle more than 10-15 hours of work while taking 18-20 units of Electrical Engineering/Computer Science classes. I would fail horribly at school.

Heh, I wasn't failing, but I could have done a hellova let better. I knew I wasn't going to go into the 4 year engineering program, and network administration is more about experience then grades so as long as I got my Associates I was happy.

Quote by SilentDeftone
She's a girl.

-SD

Technicalities...unless you're implying that it is somehow relevant to the aforementioned equation.
i actually know what you feel like. i had a summer internship, and it was great. doing real world work is so much better than classroom stuff. but now im back, and doing the academia .

heres what you could do about your passion for writing: teach.

EDIT: i actually found out that i want to teach engineering by helping out kids on this forum with their math homework. i think it might be my calling, tbh. im gonna go get a real job with my BS, and then go back for a PHD after i get my PE, and then find a uni and teach. it feels so good imparting your knowledge to those who are in the dark about it, especially if your passionate about the subject. good luck
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
I'd take an exam over a paper any day, but whatever floats your boat man.

If you make/year more than your scholarship is worth, then consider keeping your job, or you could just try to work during the summer and focus on your school during the year . . . If you're not sure about job opportunities in a subject, talk to a graduate or a prof, or even the department's administration. I'm sure they'll have examples.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by denizenz
Technicalities...unless you're implying that it is somehow relevant to the aforementioned equation.

Not relevant, but I'm sure she doesn't enjoy the implication.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
Not relevant, but I'm sure she doesn't enjoy the implication.

-SD

I'm not sexist and I wasn't making the implication in the first place. However, there are certain fields of study that women, generally speaking, are predisposed for. I'd say that the liberal arts classes and marketing major should weigh in her favor if we were to evaluate gender.