I play with an ibanez rga121 and a cube 30x and when i tried to sweep or do quick licks on the higher strings(or even slow ones sometimes) it sounds dirty because the other strings have very slight buzz...is this because i suck, or would a compressor help? i haven't nailed the muting thing down completely, but i'm pretty good at it. sometimes it's the higher strings that buzz and i really can't help that because if i muted those with my right hand then i would mute the strings i'm currently picking.

so would a compressor help?

Thanks.

about the pickups, i was planning on replacing my stock v7 and v8 pickups with something in the bridge and an evolution in the neck. i want the bridge to be bassy. i was going to put evolutions in both places but i've heard evo's don't get the greatest bass. what do you guys think?
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
Last edited by SomeDude49 at Oct 23, 2007,
Compressor won't help your string buzz. Your guitar needs setup probably. That said all guitars have some fretbuzz. sounds like you need your string height and neck adjusted. Also ,a compressor is an EQ-based effect: it brings your highs "down" (quieter) and brings your lows "up" (louder), "compressing" your signal.
I doubt that a compressor would do anything. It certainly wouldn't stop the buzzing.

You need to set your guitar up and get the strings fixed
Quote by CJRocker
Compressor won't help your string buzz. Your guitar needs setup probably. That said all guitars have some fretbuzz. sounds like you need your string height and neck adjusted. Also ,a compressor is an EQ-based effect: it brings your highs "down" (quieter) and brings your lows "up" (louder), "compressing" your signal.

fret buzz isn't the problem, i'm talking about the higher strings. i've already had my guitar setup for 10's by a 40 year experience luthier(spelling?), and he did an amazing job. i'm talking about my fingers hitting open strings while playing.

Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
It really wouldn't...if anything, it would bring the noise out more, because a compressor works for a unity in the guitar signal.

You just have to clean up your playing...there's no magic pedal that does it for you

well sh*t. i wasn't looking for a magic pedal, i was just wondering if everyone need these because i haven't seen a pro setup without one.

my fingers are to wide for an ibanez fretboard, but i love the neck so goddamn much.

genetics are a bitch. i'm thinking about getting a jackson. what do you guys think?
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Last edited by SomeDude49 at Oct 23, 2007,
Covering the strings higher than the ones you're playing with your fretting hand should help your problem. This is done by playing "flat fingered". If you play with the tips of your fingers, then your fingers will arc over the other strings, and they can rattle and shake as you rock out like a monster.

That doesn't eliminate all unwanted noise though. If you have lots of distortion, you'll probably need a noise gate of some sort to get rid of fuzz not created by the guitar (turn down the volume on the guitar and listen for fizz and crap created by your setup). Having your guitar professionally setup (truss rod, etc.) is the best way to go, or if you're experienced, you can do it yourself.

Usually a string height adjustment will do.
or you just need to practice. start STUPID SLOW and practice those riffs that cause string noise. work your way up SLOWLY and focus on every element of playing. noise, right hand motion, left hand motion, odd finger placements, attack, EVERYTHING.

then you can get it up and sound super clean and have no buzz.

no compressor needed, though it wouldn't help. if anything, it'd make it worse.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
ok guys, thanks a lot.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
How can you love the neck on them if your fingers don't match it? Surely your playing is affected? Are you saying that you love the look of them?

Other than that it just sounds like you need to sort out your playing. Muting strings that you aren't playing is the best way to go, yes I know it's hard, it takes practice.
Quote by GodzillaComplex
How can you love the neck on them if your fingers don't match it? Surely your playing is affected? Are you saying that you love the look of them?

Other than that it just sounds like you need to sort out your playing. Muting strings that you aren't playing is the best way to go, yes I know it's hard, it takes practice.

i meant i like how thin the neck is. the width of the neck affects my playing also. but i was saying i would love that aspect too, if my fingers weren't so big.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
i'm thinking of trading this for a jackson soloist...do soloists have wider necks than ibanez prestiges? i need a shred guitar that is good for my fingers.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live