I am thinking about Installing Three Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Humbucking pickups to my little strat. Has anyone else tried od done this? I see that John5 installed them on his tele with awesome performance. Your thoughts.
Fenders Rule!
there crap for cleans in my experience so depending on what u play is if there good for u
good for distortion
Different pickups will only make you sound better if you have a decent guitar and amp.
I have a dimarzio chopper in my bridge, it's alright for cleans but not the same as a single coil. Excellent for distortion though . The duncans are lower output, so I guess their cleans will be a bit better.
Quote by jackson rr5
there crap for cleans in my experience so depending on what u play is if there good for u
good for distortion

I play Heavy Rock and Metal. For the clean stuff I use my acoustics.
Fenders Rule!
it would be funny if he didn't have an amp but wanted pickups haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I wouldn't do all Hot Rails. I'd put a Cool Rails in the neck, and either a Cool Rails or Vintage Rails in the middle.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by ECistheBest
it would be funny if he didn't have an amp but wanted pickups haha.

60watt Fender
Fenders Rule!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, what kind of 60 watt Fender? What's the model?

My bad I said 60 watts. Just looked.. It's a "65 watt" Fender FM 212 DSP Frontman, 1x 12" speaker. Bought Used in Very worn condition. But it sounds AWESOME! Why would my amp matter?

ps
My Strat has a Humbucker at the Bridge. I want to replace the stock HB with a HOT SD. Everything else will remain stock.
Fenders Rule!
Quote by fatstrat200708
Why would my amp matter?

because pickups react differently with different amps.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by fatstrat200708
My bad I said 60 watts. Just looked.. It's a "65 watt" Fender FM 212 DSP Frontman, 1x 12" speaker. Bought Used in Very worn condition. But it sounds AWESOME! Why would my amp matter?

ps
My Strat has a Humbucker at the Bridge. I want to replace the stock HB with a HOT SD. Everything else will remain stock.

Because an amp is the majority of your tone. The pickup is a very small part of it.

I think the distortion on the FM series is pretty lame. Not a good amp. Tolerable cleans.

If you want to improve your tone, look for a better amp. Changing your pickups doesn't have the dramatic effect you think it will - at least, not with that amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Because an amp is the majority of your tone. The pickup is a very small part of it.

I think the distortion on the FM series is pretty lame. Not a good amp. Tolerable cleans.

If you want to improve your tone, look for a better amp. Changing your pickups doesn't have the dramatic effect you think it will - at least, not with that amp.

Cool thanks..
Fenders Rule!
Quote by fatstrat200708
Cool thanks..

to you for taking that like a man instead of being a whiny little bitch like everyone else.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by ECistheBest
because pickups react differently with different amps.

+1

Like EMG's and Spider III's.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
+1 to Will Minus

Hot Rails are nice, but I wouldn't put more than one in a guitar if you want any variety at all. I have one in the bridge position of my guitar, its definitely good for metal, not too much else, though. Hot Rails + '59 in the neck position is a good combo, I've got that and a vintage rails in the middle position. Or just go with the super strat set of cool rails + vintage rails + hot rails.

Having said that...
+100 to those who say get a new amp.
New amp > new pickups.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Most Crate tubes with an OD will be good for metal. Peavey makes some good tube amps, but they arent nearly as affordable as the Crates. I think a Palomino V8 or the 15w version with an OD like the TubeScreamer or the Zakk Wylde OD should give u enuff gain with a good HumBucker guitar. A Hot Rails would sound good thru one of those.
Quote by qotsa1998
Most Crate tubes with an OD will be good for metal. Peavey makes some good tube amps, but they arent nearly as affordable as the Crates. I think a Palomino V8 or the 15w version with an OD like the TubeScreamer or the Zakk Wylde OD should give u enuff gain with a good HumBucker guitar. A Hot Rails would sound good thru one of those.

Yet again, you manage to make too general of a statement. Not all metal can be achieved with a Palomino + OD...It may not suit the user.

Quote by fatstrat200708
What amps do you recommend?

Depends on your budget, your country, and what kind of tones you want. So yeah. Let us know that.