I've noticed a slight problem with my AC30, when it's cranked or fairly close to cranked it gives off this strange kind of undertone when i play above the 12th fret. When i hit a high note i can hear the note an octave below it. Is anyone else having this problem?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
It may be your pickups are too close to the strings. Probably not the amp. Could be truss-rod. Check the neck for fret buzz.
Quote by uldhppi
It may be your pickups are too close to the strings. Probably not the amp. Could be truss-rod. Check the neck for fret buzz.

No it's not like a fret buzz, it only happens when the amp is cranked, it's like when you're using an octave fuzz and you hear the lower octaves, i'm pretty sure it's the amp, i heard somebody saying talking about it once on Harmony Central aswell so i'm sure it's not just me
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
When I said your pickups may be too close to the strings I didn't mean they were hitting them. The reason I brought this up is that I and several other players noticed this octave effect when using distortion. I researched it on a few forums and came away with the suggestion that the magnetic field of the pickup was strong enough when too close to cause a pinch-point at certain harmonic lengths generating the strong overtone. If you don't get to the bottom of it try slightly lowering the pickup. Don't know if this is true or not since I decided to put up with it on my guitar as I like the stronger output of close pickups. Good luck.
It's pretty easy to get these kind of problems on a strat. Did you hear it with another guitar too?
Many people spend tons of time and money trying to accomplish this. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Ghost notes.
Try it with a different cab, if you can. It may be the speakers. Alternatively, try new preamp tubes.
I'd say swap out the pre-amp tubes. this will almost certainly fix the problem. It's pretty common
Quote by mr_hankey
It's pretty easy to get these kind of problems on a strat. Did you hear it with another guitar too?

Funny you should say this. I had the problem on my Strat.
Quote by Gutch220
I'd say swap out the pre-amp tubes. this will almost certainly fix the problem. It's pretty common

I doubt it's the pre amp tubes since the amp is only about 7 or 8 months old, i'm going to try lowering the pickups. And no i havn't actually tried with a different guitar, i'll try it and see what happens. Thanks
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90