heres the deal.

i have an epiphone les paul studio , which bought last year for about £250
As many of you know the pickups on these things aren't amazeing , and neither is the hardware but for the price i would say the actual guitar is built very well.

would it be worthwhile to install some high quality pickups , and some locking machineheads ?
by that i mean would an investment of maybe £100- £150 to add these modifications be wise and bring my guitar to a quility closer to that of the higher end epiphones such as the les paul custom ?
or would i simpley be wasteing my money ?

what pickups would you suggest ?

bridge:heavy/ high output , for metal and hardrock in general.

i have 4 pickups in mind ( seymour duncans):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/pickups/30

(duncan distortion , duncan custom, dimebucker, duncan invader )

was also thinking of a bare knuckle pickup ?
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

neck: warm thick classic rock tone , also good for cleans ?

suggestions for locking tuners ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grover-Locking-Rotomatic-106BC-Guitar-Tuner-Machine-NEW_W0QQitemZ110160685549QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Quote by freedoms_stain

I think it's sick to force kids to take part in hate mongering and sick for spoonman to think its right for any adult to throw anything at a child.
Last edited by *Spoonman* at Oct 23, 2007,
I'd say yes, it is worthwhile, if you know that it is the guitar that sounds bad, not your amp.

For the bridge, I'd recommend BareKnuckles Nailbomb or Swineshead Warthog.
Upgrading any of the hardware won't make a Studio like a Custom (or better). The hardware on most of the Epi guitars (especially the pickups) is the same, the difference is in the body: your Studio is always going to be lacking the extra top, the finer graded wood, and the slightly finer care and attention that things like the Custom, Ultra, signatures, and so on get.

All that said...

Upgrading an Epi's hardware can make it into something pretty good. It can make the crap Junior and Special-II into alright starter instruments, it can make the low-end 100 and Studio into somewhat better than average instruments, it can make the Standards, Customs and Ultras into pretty good guitars, and upgrade one of the signatures or one of the Elitist series and you're into full-on Gibson-quality right there. So if you're too strapped for cash to outright buy something superior, upgrading can be a good way to go so long as you do it properly.

To that end, of your bridge pickup options... for the love of god, do not bother with a Dimebucker. They are horrible pickups. It says a lot when the guy they're named after didn't use them himself. Invaders are also becoming like the new EMG 81s... every single person and their mother uses them, but really they're pretty sub-par.
Duncan Customs are pretty nice though. Custom 5s and Custom Customs are also worth looking into (depending on just how 'metal' you want your bridge to be). There's the JB model as well though you may find that's a touch 'twangy'.

For the neck, if you want an older straight forward rock tone which will be alright for cleans too, the Alnico II Pro or Jazz model will do a good job.
What's the amp? If the sound isn't good...it may be due to that more than the guitar itself.

After that, I'd honestly save that money and get either an Epiphone Ultra/Custom (I like the Ultra, but the Custom has a neck more like the Studio), ESP EC-400 (it has an awesome neck, an interesting nut, and good Seymour Duncans), and there's always a 2nd hand Gibson. They won't have locking tuners, but Grover's a good brand.

As for the tuners, it's really your call. $70 is a good price for sanity if the tuners are giving you massive frustrations.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 23, 2007,
How about Dimarzio?

The Breed Neck/Air Norton are awesome neck pickups.

Maybe try a D-Activator in the bridge? It's supposed to be Dimarzio's passive EMG-81.
BareKnuckles :P Should install a set of them, they're awesome pickups. Eventually (knowing me it'll be about 2 years lmao), I plan to put BK's on my Epi LP. But BK's are well wortht he price.
change the nut to bone, (anything will be better than plastic really).A graphite nut will end your tuning issues.
replace the tail piece and bridge with some real nickel counterparts.
of course, change the pickups
maybe the pots too
do the jimi page wiring. four push pulls, and toggles under ur pickguard. do it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
you mean JIMMY Page!!!
urg, I have a "thing" about when people call it Jimmy Page wiring. it's just coil taps. you dont need to be Jimmy Page to do it.

anyways, I would totally do that if I had 4 conductor wired pickups.
get it done if you do. totally worth it.
woops. i got mixed up hahaha. my bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well, its common to call it a Jimmy Page mod.
I just have a thing about calling it that....
^i meant i got mixed up with the "jimmy" and "jimi" thing hahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by -heartbreaker-
change the nut to bone, (anything will be better than plastic really).A graphite nut will end your tuning issues.

i'll definately look into that
thanks
Quote by freedoms_stain

I think it's sick to force kids to take part in hate mongering and sick for spoonman to think its right for any adult to throw anything at a child.