Page 1 of 2
Does anyone get physical reactions to music?

Some times if I'm listening to a good song I'll start getting chills and I feel like I'm getting bumps all over or my hair is standing up. Sometimes it even feels like my heart starts beating at different speeds.

Anyone else get stuff like this?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
All the time. That's what I like about music; it induces a physical reaction. Sometimes I get so into it, everything else zones out and I'm just rocking to the beat or whatever.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by StrokeMidnight

Some times if I'm listening to a good song I'll start getting chills and I feel like I'm getting bumps all over or my hair is standing up. Sometimes it even feels like my heart starts beating at different speeds.

I get that. Its when something is so epic/meaningful is absurd. I love the feeling
Alright so I'm not alone in that! Phew!

Yeah I normally get chills when I'm imagining playing the song.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Yeah I get that quite often. I've always wondered if it's just musicians and musical people who get that, or if everyone can have that feeling.
Quote by Tomaz24
Yeah I get that quite often. I've always wondered if it's just musicians and musical people who get that, or if everyone can have that feeling.

You don't have to be a musician to appreciate music. Everyone feels it.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
QUOTE]

spot on.
I do get chills sometimes. mostly its the first time i listen to a song, like one of the new Coheed songs. It was just that awesome i think.
i actually had that same question... whenever i hear this new or really moving song i get chills!
Quote by darkstar2466

Actually, no. Like with a paint, you need to understand it to appreciate it well.
Most chances are that if you show a good tune to a normal person, he won't appreciate it as much as a musician.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

ya some music just gives me a huge erection... can't tell you why tho
myspace.com/nivek88

~I will eventually troll the forum that your obsessed with~
I collapsed watching joanna newsom.
Doctors said i had a chest infection, but i recon it was because of the music.
Quote by urik
Actually, no. Like with a paint, you need to understand it to appreciate it well.
Most chances are that if you show a good tune to a normal person, he won't appreciate it as much as a musician.

As a musician, you can get the full breakdown of the tune and understand it in musical terms, so I can see where you are coming from when you say that. I'll give you an example: All Dream Theater fans are not musicians, but they all acknowledge DT songs are very complex, and I doubt they don't get the chills when they listen to songs.

I don't know man, I'm a musician so I can't say what I would think of a tune if I weren't one.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I feel the same way. First time I heard the chorus to Trigger by In Flames I got chills, and it happens with a lot of things. In Flames probably the most because of the epic choruses, followed by any sweet guitar solo (rainbow in the dark's solo gives me chills).

Also, someone stated before, I imagine Im playing in front of a ton of people with my buddies and everyone is jumpin and singing and it gives me mega chills. When I listen to music at night, Im soooo zoned out.
Quote by darkstar2466
As a musician, you can get the full breakdown of the tune and understand it in musical terms, so I can see where you are coming from when you say that. I'll give you an example: All Dream Theater fans are not musicians, but they all acknowledge DT songs are very complex, and I doubt they don't get the chills when they listen to songs.

I don't know man, I'm a musician so I can't say what I would think of a tune if I weren't one.

I but I don't know, I really doubt that my non musicians friends would get chills with Vivaldi. Though actually, I only know one musician friend who appreciates classical music.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik

Actually, I disagree.

While technical profiency in a field helps further your knowledge, in addition to an increase in respect towards a certain figurehead or association, rarely does it change a core emotion or feeling towards something. Emotion is, as an abstract concept, entirely unrelated to thought except in the subconscious respect.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
QUOTE]

spot on.

^DITTO!!! It's weird though, because it only happens with certain songs the first few times I hear them. One recent example is Social Distortion's "Far Behind"
I don't really know why, but that song is AWESOME
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Quote by zdh
Actually, I disagree.

While technical profiency in a field helps further your knowledge, in addition to an increase in respect towards a certain figurehead or association, rarely does it change a core emotion or feeling towards something. Emotion is, as an abstract concept, entirely unrelated to thought except in the subconscious respect.

zdh, you get an award for saying that. Couldn't have said it better.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by zdh
Actually, I disagree.

But lets say this. Seeing a baby born, or a burial, may give you a shiver.
But lets say that we were incubated, or our culture didn't bury the dead people, and you didn't understand our current culture.
Would you get emotional or get shivers?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I get the "Orgasm Chill", as I call it.

When I get those goosebumps up my spine, and the top of my head, and they only last for about 2-3 seconds, but they're the best 2-3 seconds of your life.

Also, I'll unconciously headbang. It's just a natural reaction to some of my music.

There's others, I'm sure, but those are the first that come to mind.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by StrokeMidnight

yeah and for some reason it always used to happen to the song three lions-baddiel and skinner, when the world cup is on, its the part where it does the sound of the crowd.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Occasionally I hear a riff that sounds so good (Usually of the chugging brutal variety) I actually ejaculate.
Quote by urik
But lets say this. Seeing a baby born, or a burial, may give you a shiver.
But lets say that we were incubated, or our culture didn't bury the dead people, and you didn't understand our current culture.
Would you get emotional or get shivers?

That would be dependent on both the culture and ethics, morals, and beliefs of the witness. Emotion is, more than anything else, a variable reaction based on the beliefs that society and other factors have instilled into each and every one of us, as well as the mental capacity of that individual. To answer your question, it would have to depend on what the circumstances were.
Does anyone have some good music to listen to though? Good enough to get chills? I find all the music I'm listening to now unbelievably boring (guess I've heard it too many times because it's Cream, Hendrix, and S.R.V).
Totally, bro. I love music for this reason.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I get chills all the time when listening to music, usually at solos and the epic vocal parts. . .I've also gotten them during sports matches though.

Soccer game where a kid on our team got a header off a cross I made to win gave me shivers. Same in tennis sometimes if I see someone make an amazing shot.
Dude Come Sail Away and Let It Be do that to me every time. They just have such a strong meaning and emssage to them, I get goosebumps.
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Rainbow - Catch the Rainbow.

That song is eerie and sends chills down my spine every time. Same with the beginning of Sabbath's 'Die Young' and 'Sign of the Southern Cross,' along with Dream Theater's 'Octavarium.' That whole f*cking song is an emotional and physical journey.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
all the time. i get chills during lots of songs. everytime i listen to "dance with the devil" i get a chill in my body when he says:

and crying out to the sky cuz he was lonely and scared
but only the devil responded, cuz god wasn't there
and right then he knew what it was to be empty and cold
and so he jumped off the roof and died with no soul
they say death take you to a better place but I doubt it
after that they killed his mother, and never spoke about it
and listen cuz the story that I'm telling is true
cuz I was there with Billy Jacobs and I raped his mom to
and now the devil follows me everywhere that I go
infact I'm sure he's standing among one of you at my shows
and every street cypher listening to little thugs flowe
he could be standing right next to you, and you wouldn't know

a lot of songs get my heart rate up. like "revenge" by black flag. and "gotta go" by agnostic front.
#DTWD
Yeah, I used to get that all the time, but it seems like it's getting rarer. One of the songs that still does it is Thrice - For Miles.

EDIT: I'm shivering right now, but it's probably because it's cold.

Then again, I am listening to Dream Theater...
Guitar solo then drum solo in As I am by Dream Theater gets me almost every time.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Alright so I'm not alone in that! Phew!

Yeah I normally get chills when I'm imagining playing the song.

haha i always do that, then i whip out a pick from my pocket and start airing the song (if i know it) and everyone looks at me like i'm retarded but i'm ok with that...i know i'm not getting any anytime soon
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by darkstar2466

I was told once that, if you get physical reaction while you listen to music then you are able to write music. I don't remember who told me that though
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I was told once that, if you get physical reaction while you listen to music then you are able to write music. I don't remember who told me that though

You can surely compose music by just humming or singing a tune, and this can be done with no technical knowledge of music. Anyone with an imagination and a voice can do that.

By write music, I think you mean to say compose music, and I sure as hell disagree that you don't need to feel a physical reaction to certain tunes in order to be able to compose music yourself.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
You can surely compose music by just humming or singing a tune, and this can be done with no technical knowledge of music. Anyone with an imagination and a voice can do that.

By write music, I think you mean to say compose music, and I sure as hell disagree that you don't need to feel a physical reaction to certain tunes in order to be able to compose music yourself.

I think he means write complex music in your head without thinking. I could go for that. Like one time I was in the shower and suddenly this entire song just popped into my head. I could hear all the parts in union and multiple melodies at the same time so yeah. I guess it would also put more emotion into some compositions since you physically react to emotion in music.

This is weird. No I'm not getting chills, I just feel like...nausea, but in a good way in my chest while listening to Litte Wing. I haven't had that before today, and no I'm not sick, I'm only getting it while listening to music.
Page 1 of 2