Like this..

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

sometimes when i cut them i cant take them off and put them on another guitar so i roll them up,but thats usually only for strings i usually break. thats y i do it
I dont cut them so that if i break a string near the bridge, i can pull the excess through, and stiill use tht string
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
'CAUSE MUHAMMEDS FRIGGIN AWESOME

seriously? no clue
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Personal preference.

It makes the strings sorta reusable but that's no excuse once you you enough money to go through strings at 'a pack a day' and not have it really cut into your income.
Quote by DTOE
I dont cut them so that if i break a string near the bridge, i can pull the excess through, and stiill use tht string

That's not a good idea at all...
If you break a string, get a new one.

IMO it's always best to cut excess off.
I change tunings a lot, so I leave enough excess to safely achieve those alternate notes.
Vice President of Stephen Colbert for President campaign, PM Cashewchaching to join

Personal Page
I attribute it to laziness on the stringers part. A guitar just looks a lot better if you cut the strings, and it's relatively little effort, but all the guy I know that do it just say they don't feel like it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
if you got like a Floyd then like that guy up there said

" I dont cut them so that if i break a string near the bridge, i can pull the excess through, and stiill use tht string"

but he failed to mention you need a locking bridge and maybe a locked neck too im not sure
Quote by Vanquish
Like this..

cannibal corpse sucks

Quote by WinterMadness76
Just about anything that has the word "core" or "grind" in it is guaranteed to suck 100%. I think I could make better music if I held a pick between my asscheeks and strummed.

Quote by Chickenparts
WOOT!!!!!

ASSCORE!!!!!!!!
Quote by NightEmbers
if you got like a Floyd then like that guy up there said

" I dont cut them so that if i break a string near the bridge, i can pull the excess through, and stiill use tht string"

but he failed to mention you need a locking bridge and maybe a locked neck too im not sure

Fairplay, I do have a Floyd
And I know its not the best idea, but it means i can still play with 6 strings until I get a new pack. Saves some inconveniance.
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
cause i'm cool.
Quote by McClean05
Sweep picking if i could actually get faster at it. But overall . . everything. Every technique in guitar playing is worth learning or playing. Nice thread by the way
I think it's more to do with said gentleman in the picture being utterly retarded.

I don't know, if you're going to have that kinda looking guit, you can't wear it like a ****ing strat, just from an aesthetic point of view.

It's like having a ****ing Razorback up to your ****ing chin.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion
Quote by BadgerX
I think it's more to do with said gentleman in the picture being utterly retarded.

I don't know, if you're going to have that kinda looking guit, you can't wear it like a ****ing strat, just from an aesthetic point of view.

It's like having a ****ing Razorback up to your ****ing chin.

as far as i'm concerned, he can wear that guitar however high he wants, in my eyes he's still has the same awesomeness.

namely none.
I don't always have wire cutters around or anything and I noticed my friend rolled them since he doesn't either so I took it up....I prefer to cut them though....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by EZLN libertad
'CAUSE MUHAMMEDS FRIGGIN AWESOME

What this man said.

I always though it was an "image" thing - like it was just a way of making your guitar look "rougher" or something (and in my eyes, failing in the process). But I suppose there could be some practical usage to it, as has been discussed in the thread.

If you don't think Muhammed is awesome, you fail.
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
This isn't a 'lets bash Cannibal Corpse' thread btw guys...

And I hate it when people have the ends of the strings poking out everywhere, it looks so untidy and horrible.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
You get better reception that way....duh
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
You get better reception that way....duh

This has to be the dumbest thing i've ever heard. they only do it because they are lazy
Maybe they don't want people to overestimate them as a guitarist. They probably don't have wire cutters or have absolute horrible taste in aesthetics.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
they do it to look gay.... thats why.
Bogner Überschall
Marshall 1960A
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12
Gibson SG Standard
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
It's just cheap lazy people. Why would you wanna reuse strings after the break, just buy a new pack, you can get some slinkys for 5 bucks. Reuse them until you get another pack? Heres an idea, just buy two packs next time. Guitar Center always has like 2 for 1 deals on strings. Use 1 pack, if they break, replace them with the other pack and then get another pack while your using that pack, repeat as necessary. As for not having wire cutters, come on guys, you can buy a pair of diks at any seven eleven or 99 cents store for like 5 bucks. As for better sustain, I say bull s#%t.
Quote by Vanquish
Like this..

cause it looks cool?

no idea.

EDIT: i once got hit in the eye with a string bit that i cut off. maybe he's paranoid about that?
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
For optimal tuning stability ive found that 3 tight winds on the bottom strings and 6 tight winds on the top three do the best. Not to mention penciling in graphite in the nut slots and ontop the strings on the nut. Even on my strat with floating trem it rarely drops out of tune.
it's just a matter of preference, i don't like the way they look and they're unconfortable when you're tuning
Quote by BadgerX

Actually far from it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Looks stupid. I like my strings neatly cut. I've seen some guitars where the strings aren't even rolled. They just stick out waiting to poke your eye out..

On my strat they need to be pre-cut 'cause of the vintage slotted tuners.

I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Nov 4, 2007,
Its not only untidy, it can lead to various eye injuries
and btw when your'e famous you can get your guitar tech to cut it off for you.. sriously stop being so lazy
For looks, I prefer messy uncut strings. For recording the mess isn't worth dealing with, no one gets to see how cool you look when you're recording.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I sliced my right hand open two days ago. I was going to tune my guitar but my hand got cut by the high e string bit where I cut it.

That can't be an excuse for him though, since he probably hires people to tune his guitars.
WTLTL 2011
Why bother cutting of the ball ends when restringing a floyd?Just thread it in the other way round so the ball ends hang round the tuning peg............looks cool though.Its down to personal preference whether to cut it or not
Quote by Pope Drive By
cannibal corpse sucks

f*ck u , cannibal corpse will KILL YOU .