Page 1 of 2
that would end up being GDGCEA and a high D as well if you're talking about a 7 string...please tell me you're talking about a 7 string.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Dudage
Jesus.....

When has it gone to far?

When Ibanez made a production model 8 string tuned to a low F# on the bottom.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
good lord

i thought drop D was low enough!
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Why not go to standard and play 3rd on e?

Better yet. . . .
Take up the frickin bass.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
damn man. how low is it gonna go? seriously. just go buy a goddam bass
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
lolz even if you tune down that low,
1) need THICK ASS strings
2) better have a locking nut on that guitar, or its going out of tune as soon as its tuned up
3) y would some one make a song with drop g tuning?????
Quote by Ghold125
lolz even if you tune down that low,
1) need THICK ASS strings
2) better have a locking nut on that guitar, or its going out of tune as soon as its tuned up
3) y would some one make a song with drop g tuning?????

Have you ever listened too Electric Wizard?
Quote by Say Ocean
You guys are all assholes he's just asking a question. As everyone has said, Gdgcea

If its not sounding very good try way thicker strings or get a guitar with a longer scale. length.

Thanks man. I was just wanting to know about the tuning. I'm working on getting a new guitar soon and i'm planning on getting everything i need for going into really low tunings.
After drop b (aka spliknot) the E string starts to sound crap id buy a 7-8 string guitar or a bass instead of 6 string guitar with drop g
Quote by DeathBySpoon
Thanks man. I was just wanting to know about the tuning. I'm working on getting a new guitar soon and i'm planning on getting everything i need for going into really low tunings.

Look into a baritone guitar. It's essentially a 6-string with a really long scale so the tension is distributed differently and it's more easily downtuned.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DeathBySpoon
I'm learning an Electric Wizard song. Need i say more?

No a six-string.

Electric Wizard = amazing, props for being the first person on UG I've seen that listen to them.

I thought they played in Bb.
Quote by Guitarislife125
Electric Wizard = amazing, props for being the first person on UG I've seen that listen to them.

I thought they played in Bb.

Thank. I'm a big Doom metal fan.

I've heard they use multiple differnt tunings from time to time. But Barbarians is in Drop G. From the tab i've read and from just sources haha.
Quote by kyrreca
This is what you need for that.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2228

*decides to save for that *

that thing is amazing man...zomgz, im pretty sure Dino Cazares is one of the few people in the world that plays one
you think the larger Blackouts would fit that?
Quote by kyrreca
This is what you need for that.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2228

But for drop G you'd need to tune it up Is there no middle ground?!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
You might as well tune GCGCGC if you're already tuning this low. You'll also need a 27" guitar, at least. And some really heavy strings - over .060 for the low G.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
But for drop G you'd need to tune it up Is there no middle ground?!

Just get an 8 string capo
Woah...wasn't that Ibanez designed for Meshuggah? Anyway, have fun with the crunch...a baritone 7 string or that 8 stringer should do the trick for you.
If your doing drop G, your going to need to do some seirous work:
1)You'll need bass strings. I'm recomending you getting a pack of strings meant for a 6 string bass to do that.
or
2)You'll need a baritone guitar. Atleast 28" to get any tension
or
3)You'll need a 7 string or 8 string guitar. With a 7 string you'll need atleast a 26.5" gauge and you'd want to swap the low B for a bass string(atleast gauge 65) and with an 8 string of course they're all pretty much baritone scale to even get tension in the 8th string.

You'll also need an amp worthy enough to handle that low end and some bright pickups with lots of mids and treble to lift the sound.

That said, if you can manage the tuning its great sounding though its very muddy. I think Minerva and a lot of the other deftones songs are in Drop G and you can barely hear the guitar because its so heavy. it amost melts into the drums

EDIT: I was reading blackmachines website. From what he says, anything less than using gauge 84 on 28" isn't really going to happen. If your doing it on a regular 25.5 6 string, you're going to need atleast gauge 100. You'll need to modify your nut deffinitely to accomodate. I'm not sure if a normal saddle would take it too well and you'd need to install a bass tuner(or modify your current tuner). I think thats a little too far, and you could probably do it with gauge 65 or 70 on a 25.5 guitar but you still might need to make those modifications.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Oct 24, 2007,
27' scale and rather beefy strings, like 0,60 for the lowest one should do the job perfectly. It will be difficult to keep the sounds clear with a 25,5'. my 25,5' 7-string sounds rather muddy in drop A
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
You're going to need something nearer a 70 gauge than a 60 gauge for the G, i use a 62 at B conventionally. Something like one of the Agile hardtail baritones might be worth looking into, mainly due to their price.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Woah...wasn't that Ibanez designed for Meshuggah?

Not really, I think they just sparked the idea and had a use for them (they had Nevborn custom 8s before that) so it was a good testing ground for the prototypes; let's not forget that in Asesino, Dino Cazares uses a 7 dropped to F# so the 8 string is perfect for him too.

Anyway, it's ridiculous; no one needs to tune down that far.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not really, I think they just sparked the idea and had a use for them (they had Nevborn custom 8s before that) so it was a good testing ground for the prototypes; let's not forget that in Asesino, Dino Cazares uses a 7 dropped to F# so the 8 string is perfect for him too.

Anyway, it's ridiculous; no one needs to tune down that far.

Yes they do.

For some reason having a really, really, low tuning is very pleasing.

I'm not an incredible metal enthousiast, yet there's something about turning the gain up and hitting something like a low B or F# .

Anyway, I found the RG2228 eight string in a local shop today and to my surprise it's incredibly comfortable to play, despite the neck being wide enough to be used as a landing strip for a small to mid-sized aircraft.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes they do.

For some reason having a really, really, low tuning is very pleasing.

I'm not an incredible metal enthousiast, yet there's something about turning the gain up and hitting something like a low B or F# .

Anyway, I found the RG2228 eight string in a local shop today and to my surprise it's incredibly comfortable to play, despite the neck being wide enough to be used as a landing strip for a small to mid-sized aircraft.

I am a metal player and have a guitar tuned two steps down at home right now but that's only C; I find that B is as low as I can deal with and anything below that sounds quite muddy and undefined to my ears.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I am a metal player and have a guitar tuned two steps down at home right now but that's only C; I find that B is as low as I can deal with and anything below that sounds quite muddy and undefined to my ears.

Having a higher string gauge and a good tube amp really does help a lot.

For instance the Rg2228 can sound wonderful when played through an ENGl, but when I plugged it into a Line 6 Half stack it lost a lot of definition and clarity.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

It depends on your setup. I love the feeling of hearing bone crunching lows. Of course, not low for the sae of being low, but whe its used well it can add such a huge amount of atmosphere and depth.

Minerva by deftones is a perfect example.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Im still desperately searching for an RG2228 in the UK to try out, the curiosity is almost killing me to be honest. Im just dying to the see what the F# sounds like with a reasonable amount of clarity.

Edit: ^ good point about deftones in general really, just because the tend to tune around C# standard with an extra low G# doesnt mean their music becomes succumbed by bass frequencies, its not really about what notes you can hit, you how to hit then in the context of the song really.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Im still desperately searching for an RG2228 in the UK to try out, the curiosity is almost killing me to be honest. Im just dying to the see what the F# sounds like with a reasonable amount of clarity.

I walked into my favourite local store (reasonably sized) this afternoon and BAM! between all of the guitars I had already seen a million times now hung an eight string.

Of course this was just pure luck, but if you just call a few dealers in your area, they'll be able to tell you whether they've got one in, or have one coming in the near future.
Quote by DeathBySpoon
Indeed, look at Sunn o))) they play in Drop A most of the time.

yeah, Drop A an octave down...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
yeah, Drop A an octave down...

Its actually Drop-A TWO octaves down. They use bass strings on their guitars.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Page 1 of 2