I just recently purchased the Fender Champion 600 RI and I must say i really like it. It fits perfect for the space I play in (my basement I'm a beginner) and gives me that nice clean tube sound. I play a MIM Tele straight into it. It is a little bright but I am going to order some JJ's to hopefully smooth it out. And might eventually fit it with the Weber speaker replacement.

My questions are these....

What Overdrive or Distortion pedal do you guys recommend? I am not into metal but would like a little "cruch" at lower volumes? Think Black Crowes kind of stuff. I was thinking Fulltone OCD?

and also want to add a reverb pedal and am thinking about the Boss 65 Deluxe Reverb pedal. What do you guys think of that pedal?

I realize that I am getting to where I might be spending more on pedals than the amp but I am ok with that and eventually maybe I will get a bigger amp but right now this Champion fits my needs just fine. Please help a semi-newbie out. There is a sea of pedals out there and I just want to get some well informed opinions. thanks.

peace
The Boss 65 Deluxe Reverb pedal is designed to make your amp sound like the classic Fender, it's not really a true reverb pedal. Better to go for something like the EHX Holy Grail. The OCD is an excellent OD, people here love the thing. Might want to take a look at some tubescreamers, too (either Ibanez or Maxon), as they were designed specifically to push Fender amps. Even cute little ones like yours.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
like a Maxon od-9???

and do you use it with the Fulltone or instead of?

please excuse my ignorance.

peace
Quote by timp3
like a Maxon od-9???

Yes.

Quote by timp3
and do you use it with the Fulltone or instead of?

Instead of.

There's a ton of OD pedals out there to chose from. The Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde is another great one with a TS808 clone on one side, and a distortion on the other. With so many choices, it's best if you can get out to the store and try 'em out yourself.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I don't mean to hijack- but did you compare the Champ 600 to any other amps? I was thinking about buying that or a Crate Palomino V8 or something of a similar size and was wondering what made you pick the Champ.
Champ has the best cleans (IMO, of course), so it would react best to pedals.
Plus, the crates are hard to find, and the champs are sexy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've got a Champ 600 and a Fulltone OCD, it's a nice combination. The OCD sounds better through the Blues Jr though, but the champ is a small practice amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I like the Champ, great clean tone, better than all the others IMO and the overdrive is tasty but that's all through an external 2x12 - I used it with the Vox Blue Alnico 2x12 cab and it was TASTY. Through the stock speaker, though? Boxy, quiet, ratty speaker distortion

It'll probably break in a bit though - my VJ speaker has broken in nicely now after 2 band-level pushings for over 2 hours each time and 6 months general use.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I really wanna hear what the OD sounds like with an external cab. When you overdrive it, it fuzzes, can be in a really cool fuzz way, but when you're wanting your cleans a bit louder and it's fuzzing up chords, it's not too good.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah that's what my VJ combo does to an extent but it's not too bad.

The external cab (Vox Blues) was alot louder, and clearer. Less boxy, nicer tone in general. Overdriven it was quite smooth and reasonably bright, also pretty warm-vintagey too. Definitively American for sure. It didn't mud up at high volumes, just overdrives pretty gracefully. Much much nicer, but then the cab costs like 4 times as much as the amp!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I don't mean to hijack- but did you compare the Champ 600 to any other amps? I was thinking about buying that or a Crate Palomino V8 or something of a similar size and was wondering what made you pick the Champ.

I did not shop alot but everyone that I talked to said Fender for cleans and then pedals to get what I was/am looking for. then i played one and it was real nice and just fit my space perfect. I almost got the Blues Jr but it was just to much amp and to much $ for me right now. And the Champs are cool looking vintage as well.

peace
When i compared the champ 600 and the palomino both of them were really good. But the champ was better for cleans and smooth od, while the palomino was better for rock/blues and even up to metal. And +1 to the bad monkey its let me get so many tones out of my amp and will let you play at lower volumes, but usually i only use it as a boost with level up and gain down.