agh i've been working on wiring a humbucker into my old strat!!!! its hard!! im a noob! i have 2 questions. if one or two of the little strands in one of the wires in the pickup or the wires are missing, will the cause the guitar to not work? second question, i took out the pickgaurd; so i'm not using tone or volume knobs. does this matter?

so basically i have a pickup wire with a red wire and a bunch of strands that i would twist together, and a jack wire with the same. what do i do?!? what needs to be attatched to what and what needs to be grounded? ahhhh!!! thanks if you help.
Cream Schecter Ultra III
Black Epi Les Paul Studio
Hohner Red SG (yeah weird)
Breedlove Dreadnought acoustic
An old fender (unknown model)
A frankenstein strat (unknown model)
15w Vox Pathfinder
120w Crate Flexwave
It's a two conductor? Attach one lead (probably the red, but it doesn't matter if you've only got one pickup) to the tip of the jack and the other to ground. As long as you get most of the strands attached to whatever you're soldering to, it should work and sound fine.
thanks! the red cord to the jack or the jack cord? and then; the jack look like it's already grounded to itself, should i still ground it on the other side? also is the grounding wire the wire that's got a red protection thing or the little strips that are a copper color?
Cream Schecter Ultra III
Black Epi Les Paul Studio
Hohner Red SG (yeah weird)
Breedlove Dreadnought acoustic
An old fender (unknown model)
A frankenstein strat (unknown model)
15w Vox Pathfinder
120w Crate Flexwave