Iv been wanting to get some recording equipment for a while but i just donno if I wanna spend a load of money on it. There is a recording studio close by but I want to get somethen to practice with before I have to pay to get a high quality recording. What are you guys using right now to record stuff at home. What programs what equip, mic, accessorys etc.
Thanks!
Crashton
I use a Line 6 Toneport UX2, a MXL 990 Condenser mic and a Nady CM-88 Condenser mic, and Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 4.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
most of the time, I use Audacity (free program) and plug my guitar directly into my computer. no amp. not too good a sound, really, but I've only done some ameteurish stuff so far. I do reccomend you find Audacity, though.
For just practicing stuff, plug your guitar into an effect pedal and then into your computer. Audacity is pretty good for starting off, and it's free. (PS: the effect pedal will boost the output of the guitar and help the volume problem with direct input).

If you want to move on up and record with a band, listen to some Guided By Voices... classic lo-fi sound. You might want to look for a two-track (make sure its simultaneous record!) and some mics. Certainly won't break the bank.
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
You can get some pretty good all in one sytems for not to much money. I use the Lexicon Omega system, which you can purchase for $200. This sytem comes with Cubase LE, a basic program but still advanced compared to programs such as Garage Band or Acoustica, and the Lexicon Omega multirack recorder. This particular unit has 2 xlr mic inputs and 4 1/4 ts inputs. It also has many good features such as phantom power supply, input meter, analog effect inputs and a 20 db audio buffer. If this is not in your price range, they also sell an Lambda unit for $150 and an Alpha unit for $100. Each one has less inputs and features however. Other good systems are the Line 6 Tone port Ux1 and UX2, and the MBox2 and MBox mini, however the MBox system is quite pricey.