Quote by Guerrilla Radio
Yep, I'm getting around to doing this. Sanding is.. okay so far. I'm not sure how well I'm doing by the pictures, but meh I'm working at it. ****ty guitar so I don't mind if I mess it up too bad. I also only have an oscillating sander. No belt= harder to do, I think.

I may handsand the rest of it. And yes, I know, I need a lot of work. Newbie guitar painter ftl.

^DAY 1

^DAY 2

Uh... yeah, so from the looks of that guitar, how's my sanding coming along?
You might want to start using a sanding block. Just a peice of sandpaper taped to a chunk of a 2x4 will suffice.

I'm recommending this because you've removed more material in some spots than others, and this could lead to the surface being uneven.

By the way, what grit are you using now?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
60 grit.

I picked up a sanding block today at the local hardware store, so I'll get to work on hand sanding that tomorrow. I had thought about it being uneven, so I stopped working on it for that reason, and because I had to go to work. :P

Anyway, should I be using a finer grit by now, or... what?
Quote by Guerrilla Radio
60 grit.

I picked up a sanding block today at the local hardware store, so I'll get to work on hand sanding that tomorrow. I had thought about it being uneven, so I stopped working on it for that reason, and because I had to go to work. :P

Anyway, should I be using a finer grit by now, or... what?

Unless you're staining the body or painting it a transparent color, I'd start sanding it with 100-200 grit, shoot the primer/sealer, etc.

K, 120 grit it is!

Should I be getting rid of all the paint now that I'm at that point of sanding? or should I just sand it down to smoothness?
I wouldn't worry too much about the dips and valleys ( oversanded areas) unless you want it absolutely perfect/flawless.

If you're painting it opaque (solid instead of transparent), you could've gotten away with "scuff" sanding ... as in sanding away the glossy parts with high grit, then shooting the primer/sealer, etc.

[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']im pretty sure 60 grit's gonna start taking chunks out of your wood soon.

Nah, that's what I sanded my SG copy down with, it had tons of layers of paint apparently, I had to buy a sander to sand it down cause doing it by hand took forever. After I got most paint off in areas I switched to a 120, then down to a 220 once it was all even and got it really nice and smooth. But I did a stain on mine fyi
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Alright then, I'm just gonna run over it tomorrow and make sure it's nice and smooth. Get rid of any dips that I can find, dents, dings, etc. Then run some medium then fine grit sanding over it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably be back when I need help with painting. :P
Quote by Kanthras
I think that day 2 pic looks kickass. I'd clearcoat that and leave it be

Seriously, i agree, that looks rad!
Man, the more I look at it, the cooler I think it looks.

You guys are converting me :P.

Damn, now I have a decision to make... leave it like it is, or keep on sanding.

Hahah. Wow. I never thought that my ****ty sanding work could actually make it into something that looks decent.
If you decide to clear coat it now, and leave it, do some serious clear coating, and buff it like hell, until you can use it as a mirror, it would be really nice
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
I would paint it one color, but leaving the top clear.
Clear coat then buff to the max.

EDIT: Also I think clear coating deserves a nice shiny pearloid pickguard.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Well I've already got a black pickguard that I don't want to go to waste. >.>

If I clearcoat the thing a **** ton, then buff it like crazy, then I think I would like it, a lot.

Hell, I don't know. I still gotta sand it and make the edges go smoother. :P