In my quest to improve my soloing, i've come to the conclusion that jamming with a song from your own library is a lot easier than a random "Jam Trax" disc from your local music store.

In this thread, list songs you like to jam with and solo over, and tell us what key it's in.

I'll start....

Joe Satriani - Made of Tears

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9D5E1Ar8G8Q

I solo over it in E, with the minor pentatonic (I think it's G for major scale).
"Key to the Highway" (The Derek and the Dominos version). Key of A with a little mix of Major and Minor pentatonic scales.

It works well for jamming, practicing rhythms, and even a few vocal lines in there... It's also a pretty lengthy jam, so there's plenty of room for experimenting without pressing repeat a dozen times, haha.
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Quote by FreeManson15
sister ray by the vevet underground

wild thing by the kinks.

down by the river by neil young

ohh **** that is a good list. "Down By the River" has been one of my favorite jam tracks as of late. and don't even get me started on "Sister Ray" haha, our band is notorious for starting that song during band practice and just going CRAZY with it... Nice to hear from another White Light/White Heat fan!
Current Rig:

i like to use those zeppelin blues songs like you shook and i cant quit you babe but from the BBC Sessions much cleaner sound i believe there in E

ive used key to the highway and thats great never tried sister ray i never thought it would work
In my opinion, "Sister Ray" works because if you're doing it with a band, it can evolve into so many different things. Sometimes we speed it up so that it turns into this massive ball of noise and then bring it back down to the normal tempo and finish it. Sometimes it turns into this totally abstract solo trade off between me and the other guitarist. And sometimes we just keep it cool, jam it, and wrap it up. The chord progression keeps it simple, but with the evolving story of the sailor, and well, the "interesting" events that ensue, it really adds a fun element to it.
Current Rig:

FreeManson what keys are those in?

Led Zeppelin - Tea For One and Since I've Been Loving You (C flat minor pent? Not sure, starts on the 8th fret).
"Down By the River" is in E blues pent.
"Sister Ray" has a chord prog of G-F-C... but if you listen to the song, you'll find things soon get out of hand... so something close to G works haha

and I don't know the key for "Wild Thing"
Current Rig:

Quote by hippyskier
"Down By the River" is in E blues pent.
"Sister Ray" has a chord prog of G-F-C... but if you listen to the song, you'll find things soon get out of hand... so something close to G works haha

and I don't know the key for "Wild Thing"

Isn't the blues pentatonic just the minor with the added notes?
Quote by TJM2482
Isn't the blues pentatonic just the minor with the added notes?

Indeeed. Just make sure you're adding the right blue notes and stuff.
Current Rig:

i guess everyone likes jamming to different stuff so dunno how helpful this will be,

Anyhow i find anything from Metallica master of puppets is good for improving rythem speed, and very fun to play. I especially enjoy playing master of puppets and orion. Orions good cos lots of slow easy solo's
Quote by blues-guitarist
The Who-Won't get fooled again
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zydAs5bRW1U

people, post videos, that way we get to hear the song and jam with it

wahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TJM2482
Caruso is the next Chuck Norris. Bookmark it.

dude im a regular viewer of CSI: Miami. i watch every single one. lol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A song I like to jam with that's at my kind of skill level at guitar is probably Original Prankster by Offspring(because as my username says I'm a huge offspring fan) it has a pretty cool and catchy riff that ain't to hard and I just overall like the song
Can some people send me some tabs of some songs with a pretty easy riff or power chord progression or something because I want to get better.
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix. Improvising over the chorus and solo is great.

- E Minor Pentatonic
Last edited by AdamDK at Oct 24, 2007,
Walter Trout - Kill the Monkey

Nice up-beat blues track in A.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Sunshine of your love - Cream fun to improvise the riffs and the solo.

but my favorite is Crossroads - Also Cream, the third solo is great to just jam on, and have your own clapton style 7min solo , I play a mix, but Mostly a A minor with scales and such
I've got a question for you all about when you're improvising, might as well say it here: What parts of a song do you solo over? I've tried going over whole songs before, and in most of the parts with vocals the fills seemed kind of out of place, so I just jam over the solo and parts with no singing and sometimes the chorus, does this happen to you?
Quote by si!
I've got a question for you all about when you're improvising, might as well say it here: What parts of a song do you solo over? I've tried going over whole songs before, and in most of the parts with vocals the fills seemed kind of out of place, so I just jam over the solo and parts with no singing and sometimes the chorus, does this happen to you?

Usually I'll just ignore other people soloing and jam over the vocals as well.

I have found that certain songs have a very bad jam factor though, so you can't do it with every track.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
if you want me to stay - either the original or chili's version is good
POST FINDER
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Usually I'll just ignore other people soloing and jam over the vocals as well.

I have found that certain songs have a very bad jam factor though, so you can't do it with every track.

So that's over the whole song then?