Page 1 of 2
For those of you that are gigging musicians, what are some mishaps you've had onstage, embarassing, showending, etc

I remember at show, I was doing the traditional, "extended" ending guitar solo, and i was doing a tapping thing, and I had a pick in my mouth, and dropped it. so I had to walk over to my bassist and steal his pick, 'twas great.
one time i was onstage and i was walking to the otherside, and i tripped over my bassists cord(well when i was in a band), and his amp fell over and knocked mine over and took out the PA system
One time a few years ago I was walking across the stage before we started playing and I tripped over the drums and fell down. Everyone looked at me and laughed
But I have to say it was pretty funny
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
at the end of one of my solos i dropped my pick and had to finish the rest of the song using my fingernails (for thrash metal that hurts really bad)
in 6th grade, my principal literally made us do the ****ing national anthem (and not even the cool hendrix one) because she thought sweet child o mine was too "graphic"

well, me and my friend were like "hey, lets spice it up somehow"

we thought it would be a great idea jump off the stage on the last chord and hit it on the ground.

The patch didn't unplug all the way.

RIP Laney HCM50 (it was a ****ty amp anyway)

EDIT: and for some reason, my schecter omen was unharmed?
we were in the middle of a song and my cord started to short out.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Once on stage my guitar strap broke and i dropped my guitar and i had to run to the side of the stage and get my back up guitar.But i came back in time and did my solo and then they were cheering instead of laughing.But it still sucked.
Hmmm, we were starting a song and the first guitar part started, and when i was supposed to come in i forgot that my amp wasnt turned on cause there wasnt a light....i loled at myself.
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
i had written a song about my ex girlfriend (u can imagine the lyrics) and she was at the show, and midway through playing this song, she realizes its about her, she tries to get up on stage to harass me, and gets tackled by the venues security!!!!! AWESOME!!!!
well, it wasn't at a show, but when i was bassist in this band, i was walking toward out lead guitar/vocalist for a dual vocal part in a chorus, i accidentally knocked him into a pole.

[they told me to turn it down, BTW]
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Well, at a gig I played a month or two ago I ran into LOTS of trouble.

Story goes, at the gig before that I broke my low E and hadn't changed it yet. So I was planning on buying a new set of strings to change them on the way to the gig the day of since I had forgotten to buy them earlier.

We were running real tight on time and as we were loading the van the other guitarist in the band said "no worries! I got an extra set and I'll change them on the way since I'm riding in the van." "Ok" I thought, that freed me up to ride in the other car and I didn't have to run and get a new set.

So we get to the place and I find out he only changed my E, which means the other strings were just as brittle as they were when the E broke, making them VERY ceseptable to breaking. But we had no time to fix that, since we were on in ten minutes and we still had to set up. We started playing and in the first song my A string broke, making it impossible to keep going. Grabbed my backup guitar (which is a lot cheaper and has a very frail strap) and started playing the second song. The bottom of the strap fell off at least once in every song after that, and I had to keep playing.

Also, the guitar, apparently, had HORRIBLE tuning problems. I had to tune between every song, and during a few. Plus, for some reason unknown to me my chest happened to start trying to murder me that day. By the last song we planned on playing I was on my knees and I couldn't get up. Then my other guitarist says into the mic, "Hey we have one more for you!"

****!

It was a pretty brutal show, since I had to literally throw my guitar up and down to change chords half the time, and I was gasping for air and falling to my knees in pain for the last three (and suddenly four) songs
Last edited by stringmagician at Oct 23, 2007,
Quote by stringmagician
Well, at a gig I played a month or two ago I ran into LOTS of trouble.

Story goes, at the gig before that I broke my low E and hadn't changed it yet. So I was planning on buying a new set of strings to change them on the way to the gig the day of since I had forgotten to buy them earlier.

We were running real tight on time and as we were loading the van the other guitarist in the band said "no worries! I got an extra set and I'll change them on the way since I'm riding in the van." "Ok" I thought, that freed me up to ride in the other car and I didn't have to run and get a new set.

and......?
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
One time during an outdoor show I was doing a powerstance kinda and my right foot slipped out and I did a split lol. It hurt. It was pretty funny though. Other than that nothing further than the usual stuff like someone stepping on my tuner pedal, or bad quarter inches. I'm never more pissed off than when I'm cutting out.
We're only strays.
nothing's ever happened to me, but when i saw my friend's band play, his bassist broke a string, so while he was putting a new one on, my friend did some shredding, and he is FAST. both A7X guitarists (don't know their names cause i don't like them) told him that he's way better than them, and he's opened for Blue Oyster Cult and been asked to open for A7X. but yeah, everyone loved the shredding, and then at the end he shredded the Popeye the Sailor Man theme.
Your friend knows the A7X guitarists? That's pretty damn sweet. Their names are Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance by the way.

Well, gig I just played, my other guitarist needed new strings, and he hadn't got around to changing them yet, so we changed them about half an hour before the gig, so they kept going out of tune. I looked at video footage afterwards, and our last song (we only did 4) he was like a semi-tone higher than everyone else. Not a good sound.
sig goes here
Quote by soundgarden1986
It was cold onstage and my wrist hurt because I fell about 10 minuste beforehand and I screwed up 3-4 times and just said "Fuck it, we'll play this later."

OH that reminds me of another outdoor gig we did early last winter. It was about 30 degrees out. I was the drummer at the time and I was starting to see frost on my cymbals by the time we were breaking down. That show friggin sucked lol.

And I haven't had any serious mishaps in my own band, but I can tell you of one time when a band we were friends with had a problem. They're bass player swung his bass around real hard and layed out their guitarist. There was blood and everything, it was pretty metal.
We're only strays.
Drummer's snare broke. I mean how the hell, of all times damnit. Stupid talent show though, and we were still the best.
Quote by martyr1130
i had written a song about my ex girlfriend (u can imagine the lyrics) and she was at the show, and midway through playing this song, she realizes its about her, she tries to get up on stage to harass me, and gets tackled by the venues security!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

this is the best story yet.

this isnt about me but about a band i saw. I saw bad religion a couple weeks ago and during one of the solos the singer was just walking around and got hit in the face by a cd. best concert moment ever.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
it was pretty metal.

that made me lol.

We were playing Guns and Roses - Rocket Queen and I dropped a dropstick in the middle of the song..I only had one pair with me on stage so I had to get up and get the stick in the middle of the song..how ****ing embarassing. Also that same night we were playing Kiss- Do you love me. We hadn't practiced the song in a week, which we were learning 20 songs in 2 weeks for that show, so I forgot the beat to the song. So I played some random beat for about 30 secs while the singer was trying to explain the beat to me. I fixed it and pulled it off to make it look like a semi-drum solo but those who knew the song no doubt knew I screwed up.
Electricution from amp during sound check.
Fixed by plugging amp in somewhere else.

Amp head dying mid solo
I thow down my guitar, pick up the mic and scream as loud as i can.

A string snapping.
Me doing divebombs till 2nd guitar is located.

wireless not working after first song.
unplug it and smash onstage (twas cheap)

i have a million of em
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
I played Warped Tour in San Diego this past summer with my band, and I had a new guitar and this was my first time playing it on stage. It went pretty badly out of tune on the 2nd song or so, and I couldn't use my Boss floor tuner because it was so bright outside and I couldn't see the lights. I had to switch guitars.

Nothing really funny.
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
Knocking over a drum machine..

Knocking over mic stands..

Knocking over people..

It's hilarious cos im nutso on stage
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
I had to do a solo piece and had no idea what to play, so I tuned my unplugged electric to DADGAD next to a noisy stage and went up there....actually wasn't too bad but it wasn't the best performance lol.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I used to play bass in my schools concert band. I was in science, and we were playing a few songs in assembly in the next period. The science teacher bought a bunch of bottles of coke to make bottle rockets with, adn he was gonna pour teh coke down the sink. I drank two bottles in about 5 minutes just so it wouldn't go to waste.

During the concert, I had to go to the toilet after every song. And my piss was blue.

Another time I was playing 'Spiders' by SOAD at the school fair. The guitarist stomped on his Digitech RP100A pedal and pressed the wrong button. He was going from clean to an average distortion preset, but ended up with a talkbox effect. He played one note then stopped and hung his head in shame, while I kept playing and the drummer threw a stick at his head.

Both of those were in Grade 10, 2004.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
hahaha I know there were over eleven people there. But whatever, it was our first gig and it was at the county fair... That one jackass who asked me if I knew how to tune my guitar when I picked it up pissed me off. And then he left like ten seconds into the song.
I forgot the melody (it's a hella fast one.. Charlie Parker's Confirmation) in the B section, shortly thereafter, my sax player forgot the melody, so I just started improvising something that sounded like it. It turned out cool but.. needless to say, I woodshedded on that melody for a few weeks after...
We had a big show in hartford one night (somewhere about 8 months ago now) and we took a couple friends along. Right before the we hit the stage (during the set before ours) one of our friends (a man with a drinking problem and only one kidney) threw up aaaalllll over my pedalboard on on the outside of one of my guitar cases. The pedalboard power supply was shot, my delay pedal died and I didn't have batteries enough to run half my gear (I generally just used the power supply from the board). Everything was working seemingly well when we started our set, then halfway through the first song everything started shorting out, activating or deactivating by itself, etc. It was a f*cking fiasco. Two days later the band "leader" decides he's breaking up the band but isn't telling half of us.

yeah, I'd say it went well.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Quote by Brain245
At my band's first gig, the bass did the intro to the first song, and when the bass is on a G, our guitarist manages to hit E minor, and it made the most horrible sound ever. We all just stared at him like what the hell. We've even got it on video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLw96jSI3to

the guitarist on the right has the same shirt as i do.

just saying.

but ive been listening to your stuff, and you guys sound pretty good.

Yeah, I have the same shirt as our other guitarist too. I was just glad we didn't both wear it that day, that would have looked stupid. Thanks for the compliments, man.
Our drummer got drunk before our first show with my band Eyes on the Horizon and on our second song he got off time and completely screwed everybody else up.

When we finally got back on track,
my amp at the time started cutting out or something.

I don't know,
it started doing this weird tremolo thing.

So yeah we got to two songs and had to quit because of a drunk drummer and technical difficulties.
Quote by Brain245
Yeah, I have the same shirt as our other guitarist too. I was just glad we didn't both wear it that day, that would have looked stupid. Thanks for the compliments, man.

haha, but you would have been so cool with matching outfits!

so in our set our first song is in drop D but the the rest is in E Standard. so i was tuning my LP to Drop D to use it for the first song, but then i remembered that i had an SG to use for the Drop D song. i tuned it to Drop D, and i forgot to tune the LP back to standard. so we played the first song in Drop D, no problems and then i switched to the Les Paul. Thank GOD the first E standard song didn't require the E string, everything was on the A. but then the next FIVE songs in our set were all over the fretboard and strings, and i couldn't hear the fact that everything sounded like **** until our last song. I stopped, tuned up, and continued...very embarrassed
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by Brain245
hahaha I know there were over eleven people there. But whatever, it was our first gig and it was at the county fair... That one jackass who asked me if I knew how to tune my guitar when I picked it up pissed me off. And then he left like ten seconds into the song.

No worries, my first show was like that too
Let's see, during our last show, my main guitar's D-string snapped. So I grab my back-up...it's going smooth untill the end-pin pops out on the low E string.

Got some video of it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o0PUJh-Jmh8

If you watch closely at the end, you can see it creeping out.

Happened again after a few songs...but I was able to push it back in, tune back up, and start going again. All in the middle of a song.

Let's just say that I learned how to go accapella.
Page 1 of 2