So, when I went to GC to get my guitar, I was also shopping for an amp to an extent. The guy who was helping me had some, uh, interesting reccomendations.

First off, he wanted to try me out on a Marshall stack of some sort. which I thought was a bit much.

Told him I wanted a tube amp under $500. So, I was thinking a Fender Blues Jr. or a Crate of some sort, but was still open to suggestions.

So, this guy went immediately to two modeling amps. Some sort of Vox (which I gather is fairly decent, and actually exceeded what I was expecting from it), and the dreaded Line 6 Spider Valve (I'm not experienced with amps in the least, but something seemed off about the sound. didn't like it much.) told him I wasn't really interested in modeling amps, so we looked around the store some more.

Asked about the Crate Palominos, he said he'd had trouble with them. having to repair several of them and such. So I considered trying out a Blues Jr., but he tried to keep me away from that by commenting on the lack of effects loop. I told him I wasn't especially worried over that, and I think at that point he left to deal with other customers.

So, with the modeling amps.......do you think he genuinely thought I would've liked them, or was he just trying to meet his sales quota or something? And was I right to be so stubborn over not getting a modeling amp?

Good persistance for not leaving there with Spider. I commend you. Way to be stubborn. Did you like the Blues Jr?
Ben
Did you even try the modeling amps? and yeah, skip the Crates. Lame OD, nubm controls, and Made in China.
Skip the Line 6, a lot of the Voxs are actually hybrid amps and not full tube power.

Don't listen to what they say, usually they try to get you to buy a Line 6 or MG series Marshall.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by CJRocker
Did you even try the modeling amps? and yeah, skip the Crates. Lame OD, nubm controls, and Made in China.

The USA made palominos are great for what I need it for. And anyway, the new ones are made in Vietnam i believe.
good job being stubborn. way to go. just so you know vox valvetronix amps are hybrids. but they are still really good.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The USA made palominos are great for what I need it for. And anyway, the new ones are made in Vietnam i believe.

Ah, alright. I should try to find a USA one something then... I played 2 and wasn't knocked over. They felt cheap too.
the thing is, for the modeling amps, HE was playing the guitar (he was better than me, so I was fine with that. I'm still pretty close to beginner level). He showed me well enough the features of them, how they functioned, how the clean/mild overdrive tones sounded (which is what I was after), and I wasn't feeling the Spider in the least. the Vox was decent.

Still, I tried out the Blues Jr. myself (the one he tried to not get me try was the one with the tweed cover, which I realized would be out of my price range, so I found the standard one with the rest of the Fenders). ran through a couple of chord sequences (I'm more of a rhythmer than anything), but I was trying the guitars more than anything else, so I really didn't fool with the amp much. Liked the sound, though. Let the differences in the guitars come through well enough.
Last edited by Wulver at Oct 23, 2007,
I have a suspicion that GC employees are paid a little bonus when they sell an MG or Spider, given all these stories of people being steered away from high-end tube amps and being plugged into MG15s and things.
Quote by cokeisbetter
I have a suspicion that GC employees are paid a little bonus when they sell an MG or Spider, given all these stories of people being steered away from high-end tube amps and being plugged into MG15s and things.

Probably because they hear the bad stories on the net, and they stock a lot of them, and need to move them
Quote by CJRocker
Probably because they hear the bad stories on the net, and they stock a lot of them, and need to move them

or so that people will spend the money on them in the first place and then when they find out it sucks, will come back and spend even more than they needed to to upgrade
Quote by cokeisbetter

uh, right, im sure theyd get more from selling a 200 dollar spider than the 500 dollar blues junior right? great logic there.

if the guy was really trying to meet a "quota" he would have bent over backwards to get that 500 dollars out of your pocket. think about it, if you were already gushing over the bjs and crates when you walked in and mentioned you had 5 bills to spend, I myself(hypothetically if i were an employee) would have just talked you up a bit more and made sure you left with one. hell, you already made half of the sale for him.
Quote by guitaruboy
or so that people will spend the money on them in the first place and then when they find out it sucks, will come back and spend even more than they needed to to upgrade

We have a winner
WTLTL 2011
Haha. If I was in America, I'd try to get employed by Guitar Centre to see why all the employees act like nimrods.

But good job being stubborn like. I tend not to listen to alot of salespeople but when they obviously know what they're talking about....

I find if you say you have twice your real budget and act all indifferent and knowledgeable, they tend to leave you mostly to it with some good advice too. But if they're noobs, well that's as far as they're gonna get.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The new Crate V-series, all-tube amps (successors to the Palominos) are just around the corner (about a month?). They look cool, too. Maybe wait to try those out. I'm dying to audition a new Crate V33H 33-Watt head, as soon as they hit a GC near me.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

^sounds good. The amp's gonna be bought at christmas, so I'll probably go in at some point before then. seems worth trying out.
Profit Margins.

They probably make more money off selling an MG or Spider than they do off other amps.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
so, to put it simply, if I do go in there to get my amp I won't be listening to the sales guys much?
You must just look like a modeling-type of guy. Kidding. If you want to buy there go in a couple more times and shop for a sales person. Some of them are knowledgable and want to get you a good deal. I love my GC but I know the people and they know I won't put up with any BS.
my guitar center is sweet. i went in to try out the spider valve to see what it was like and one of the employees(whenever i go in there we talk for quite a bit, his name is jim) said i shouldn't waste my time trying that piece of sh.t when i just got a tiny terror.
Member #2 of the Mike Patton Worshippers club p.m. lalalama 2 to join

listen to metal.
Quote by MrCarrot
Haha. If I was in America, I'd try to get employed by Guitar Centre to see why all the employees act like nimrods.

But good job being stubborn like. I tend not to listen to alot of salespeople but when they obviously know what they're talking about....

I find if you say you have twice your real budget and act all indifferent and knowledgeable, they tend to leave you mostly to it with some good advice too. But if they're noobs, well that's as far as they're gonna get.

GC guys get their money by working on commission. Their commission is only 2% if the PROFIT, not total price on the amp. So for example, they'll make more on the cheaply made MG's and Spiders than a Blues Junior.

Not only that, they have "fading" which is that they have to pay out their minimum wage with commission sales.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Uldhppy wrote:
If you want to buy there go in a couple more times and shop for a sales person. Some of them are knowledgable and want to get you a good deal.

+1

Music shop employees are not equally useful. Hang around until you spot the "good" one and you'll get better service.
The guitar center guys are always pushing the modellers/spiders. When i got my palomino it took a freakin while cause they kept trying to push the spiders and vox modellers. But just be stubborn, i was and got a pretty sweet amp for a good price which is what salespeople hate lol.

The new Crate V-series, all-tube amps (successors to the Palominos) are just around the corner (about a month?). They look cool, too. Maybe wait to try those out. I'm dying to audition a new Crate V33H 33-Watt head, as soon as they hit a GC near me.

Haven't the v-series amps already been out for a couple of years?
Last edited by yoyodunno at Oct 25, 2007,
Quote by yoyodunno
The guitar center guys are always pushing the modellers/spiders. When i got my palomino it took a freakin while cause they kept trying to push the spiders and vox modellers. But just be stubborn, i was and got a pretty sweet amp for a good price which is what salespeople hate lol.

Haven't the v-series amps already been out for a couple of years?

We're talking about the new v series. the V33 and stuff. They push modelers because they are cheaper to manufacture, and thus have higher profit margins. Not to mention the were once called "The Vox Center", so they have some faith in vox amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Not only that, they have "fading" which is that they have to pay out their minimum wage with commission sales.

I always heard it called being on "subsidy". If a certain sales goal is not met in a pay period, I thought they reverted (subsidised) the salesperson with minimum wage. I worked at the Color Tile corperate offices years ago and that is the system they had.

Course, I'm no salesman by trade either

Chris
i can see it now...at the start of the day....'ok guys, person that sells the least....MG's! buys the drinks after work'
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX